• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Another CZ fan here. The only double-stack 9mm I will own.

The best kept secret is find the pistol you like and ignore whether or not it's 'popular'. I think that's what the OP is driving at: share what you like, so that we can all come to appreciate that the best thing about the 'best pistol' is that they're so many to choose from.

The only problem with not-well-known pistols is finding holsters for them.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Continuing with revolvers, I've also been pining for a Ruger LCR. The DAO trigger on the Ruger LCR 38 that I've tried was excellent (such that I have little interest in the DA/SA LCRx). Not sure if want the 38 (lighter) or 357 (heavier but stronger frame) model. Hoping the 357 trigger is as good as the one on the 38.

I carry the LCR in .38. It's +p rated and I'm not sure that the .357 will get you much more in terms of power or durability. And I agree that it's the softest shooting gun in it's class, and the trigger is great for the type of gun that it is. I'll bring mine to the range if you want to spend some time with it.

In fact, the LCR was going to be my "vote" for sleeper gun. It's way better than the S&W airweights, and this is coming from a Smith fanboy!

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Steyr M9A1

They also have a compact and a long model.
    Best stock trigger ever
    Trapezoidal sights (once you get used to them they are awesome)
    Perfect size/weight (think G19)

The only negative is lack of accessories

My favorite non .22 pistol by far.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    Everyone is mentioning CZ's but I haven't heard anything yet about CZ 75 SP-01.

235v2w.jpg

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Re: SP-01

I've wanted one for a long time. Finding the particular flavor you want is definitely more difficult than say the standard CZ75. Mostly see the 40SW in any flavor and 9mm in Tactical/Decocker, have yet to stumble across a 9mm with safety. I'll probably pick one up next year since my 9mm quota is a little full this year.

Re: 5.7FN

I'd go Tokarev before I went 5.7, but I have no idea what the ammo availability is these days.

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    CZ 2075 is never mentioned as an option for small 9mm's.

But on paper and in reviews it looks like a good option. I'd like to try one.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    1st FNP-45 Tactical is my go to gun, 15+1 of 45 acp, a 5.3 inch threaded barrel(or the flush fit barrel I bought extra) and suppressor height night sights.

2nd My S&W Governor. 6 shots of 45 acp, 45 long colt or 410 shotsell. Let me tell you 000 buck or slugs out of a snubnoosed revolver is something else. The fireball is impressive as well.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I love the 1911's, the Ruger Mark II and M63 Smith...but

load it full house magnum, load it down to sub22LR recoil range gallery loads, it always delivers and is probably the most accurate production handgun I have ever shot or will ever shoot... the Ruger Super Blackhawk. The Redhawk isn't far behind.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    Re: SP-01

I've wanted one for a long time. Finding the particular flavor you want is definitely more difficult than say the standard CZ75. Mostly see the 40SW in any flavor and 9mm in Tactical/Decocker, have yet to stumble across a 9mm with safety. I'll probably pick one up next year since my 9mm quota is a little full this year.

I had to order mine online, Bud's Gun Shop. I got the one with the safety. The one pictured isn't mine, I just like the wood grips. This one is mine.

Attachments

• ARandCZSmall.jpg
      ARandCZSmall.jpg
      55.3 KB · Views: 546

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    We have a quorum gentlemen. CZ without a doubt. 75B is a classic but the SP-01 edges it out.

EDITED to add: if I had a second choice, it'd be my Kahr PM9. A finer pocket pistol has yet to be produced.

FPS, where have you been lurking all this time?

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    It is not much of a secret. The Ruger Mark I, II, or III. These are American made, very reliable pistols. They are accurate as can be. They are inexpensive, yet hold their value. They are great for first time shooters. The only drawback is that they are difficult to take down to clean. Fortunately, they don't need cleaned often. Really, I consider all Rugers to be a great value for the money. I don't think this is a secret but often forgotten.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Couple more mentions.

Sig SP2022 as a "budget" pistol. Gets overlooked since non classic sigs don't have a good reputation (and the p320 is stealing the limelight), but it essentially is a polymer frame p226.

Cheap, reliable, DA gun (for those that like DA's) that is a great option for self defense or carry (instead of a metal classic sig)

For a single stack carry gun, Walther PPS. Gets overlooked because it came out a while ago compared to options like the shield, XDs and 938, but it was the first polymer gun that just worked for its intended use. Decent magazine capacity, Walther quality, slim profile, reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom