• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Not cheap and not rare, but I love my Springfield 9mm EMP.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Easy.. Just about anything in the CZ line.. But I do like the '82 specifically.. The Maks would be a very close second..

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Among my pistols, the PPQ and 686 are both a joy to use at the range.

For carry, I like the Glock 26-sized Walther P99C AS. The ergos on this pistol are great, and a crisp SA trigger helps make the 3.5-inch barreled gun an accurate shooter. Although the P99C is striker-fired, it has a decock feature and can be fired in DA-mode. It's a hard gun to find, so less people have probably given it a spin.

Among the slightly more obscure handguns on my list is a small frame stainless 22LR revolver with a 4-inch barrel to use as a trail gun or something to expose new shooters to. Options include the ...

Ruger Bearcat in 22LR (SA)
    S&W Model 63 (DA/SA)

I think these models are off the radar for most folks these days, and I only started considering 22LR revolvers after getting a couple of 357 revolvers and a few of semi-automatics pistols in different calibers (an FN 5.7 included).

Continuing with revolvers, I've also been pining for a Ruger LCR. The DAO trigger on the Ruger LCR 38 that I've tried was excellent (such that I have little interest in the DA/SA LCRx). Not sure if want the 38 (lighter) or 357 (heavier but stronger frame) model. Hoping the 357 trigger is as good as the one on the 38.

Finally, the somewhat more popular Ruger SR22 is another that I'm considering, but have heard mixed comments regarding the trigger.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    FN 5.7 hands down.

Full sized, light weight, great engineering and ergonomics.

Very low recoil, feels like shooting a full sized all metal .380; anyone can shoot this gun.

The best 5.7 ammo has approximately equal the same effects as the best .45ACP ammo.

FN 5.7 shoots further and more accurately than any handgun I've ever fired. Because of the very fast and light weight bullet, it has a very flat trajectory. Supremely accurate, especially beyond 25m. Can easily shoot 100m very accurately. Try that with an other handgun.

Rear sight is adjustable; I guess you could mount an optic?

Super reliable, no malfunctions I've encountered yet.

Ammo is a bit expensive and can still be a bit tricky to find at times.

Standard magazine is 20 rounds, extended magazines are 30 rounds.

It is rounded and light enough it could be an everyday carry for some, still too big for most to EDC.

Rail on bottom, any good flashlight compatible.

Just read an article that it is ~3x more powerful than the PMR30, mostly because .22WMR is slower burning and designed for rifle length barrels. 5.7 ammo is center fired and more reliable than .22WMR.

Easy to work the slide, trigger is easy/excellent, women love to shoot it and already mentioned low recoil.

It's all business, not the prettiest thing to look at.

About $1000; worth every penny.

FN 5.7, best kept secret. Not anymore. :)

On_Target

Feb 7, 2013
    FN 5.7 hands down.

Full sized, light weight, great engineering and ergonomics.

Very low recoil, feels like shooting a full sized all metal .380; anyone can shoot this gun.

The best 5.7 ammo has approximately equal the same effects as the best .45ACP ammo.

FN 5.7 shoots further and more accurately than any handgun I've ever fired. Because of the very fast and light weight bullet, it has a very flat trajectory. Supremely accurate, especially beyond 25m. Can easily shoot 100m very accurately. Try that with an other handgun.

Rear sight is adjustable; I guess you could mount an optic?

Super reliable, no malfunctions I've encountered yet.

Ammo is a bit expensive and can still be a bit tricky to find at times.

Standard magazine is 20 rounds, extended magazines are 30 rounds.

It is rounded and light enough it could be an everyday carry for some, still too big for most to EDC.

Rail on bottom, any good flashlight compatible.

Just read an article that it is ~3x more powerful than the PMR30, mostly because .22WMR is slower burning and designed for rifle length barrels. 5.7 ammo is center fired and more reliable than .22WMR.

Easy to work the slide, trigger is easy/excellent, women love to shoot it and already mentioned low recoil.

It's all business, not the prettiest thing to look at.

About $1000; worth every penny.

FN 5.7, best kept secret. Not anymore. :)

I would have loved this. I planned for it for a while. I bought 2000 rds from cheaper than dirt in 2007. I sold them on gunbroker for $2500.00. It made it easier to watch my dreams slip away. Ammo prices are insane now. Otherwise the above assessment is entirely accurate.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I'm going with the pheonix arms rangemaster. Accurate, reliable, and cheaply priced little pistol.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Big CZ fan here greta ergonomics and accurate. Also older S&W revolvers like my 586, super triggers. Been looking at 63s myself.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Its interesting, while we have this discussion there are some secret paths to a cheap buy-in on existing (and often high cost) models.

For example, I could buy a Sig 226 at $650.

or........

I could buy a Sig 226 .22 classic at $350 to $400 (my last one i bought was $303 plus transfer)

Purchase an X-change kit for $299 to $350 and for the price of the factory Centerfire Sig I have a .22 and a 9mm/40/357 etc. Cheaper than going the other way.

Frankly, right now given 40 and 357 slides swap and I can just change barrels I have less than $1300 in my sig platform that includes two .22 sig classics, a .357 x-change kit, .40 barrel, 9mm x-change kit.

While the "classics" are reputed to be a little looser than Sig's standard line-up these guns will put all bullets in a 4" circle at 25 yards and a win win across the board on a $ basis.

Good trick:thumbsup:

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    The best kept secret is find the pistol you like and ignore whether or not it's 'popular'. I think that's what the OP is driving at: share what you like, so that we can all come to appreciate that the best thing about the 'best pistol' is that they're so many to choose from.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    IMI/IWI or Magnum Research Jericho 941/Baby Eagle

*I'm biased as hell. I own one.*

-15-17rd cap (depending on which mags you find)
    -All steel (heavy, but steady and smooth)
    -DA/SA trigger
    -CZ75 clone
    -Israeli made
    -Looks kick-ass
    This post was the one I was going to write. It's actually a Tanfoglio clone, and they do make a polymer version.

It'd be nice if IWI took over the importation of these in the not so distant future. Baby Eagle isn't a cool name. Bring back Jericho!
    If IWI US started importing the frame safety versions with the Jericho name, they'd fly off the damn shelves. Magnum Research's marketing mismanagement of these pistols is should be a crime.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    CZ P01 on the pistol side really surprised me. Great ergonomics in a pistol that just seems to melt into my hand. Widely acknowledged for reliability. Sights aren't much....serviceable best describes them IMO, but then again they're not target pistols. Accuracy is very good though.

If revolvers can count? Then I'd have to say my biggest surprise has to have been a Ruger Speed Six. In a time of many widely acknowledged quality revolvers from leaders Smith and Colt, Ruger made an over built and every man priced series of revolvers that included the Security Six, Service Six and Speed Six. Maybe a fluke and I got lucky, dunno. But for me, my Speed Six has a double action trigger that surprised the hell out of me initially, and only seemed to get better from there.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Not cheap and not rare, but I love my Springfield 9mm EMP.

You need pictures guys...

kitty2.JPG

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    IMI/IWI or Magnum Research Jericho 941/Baby Eagle

*I'm biased as hell. I own one.*

-15-17rd cap (depending on which mags you find)
    -All steel (heavy, but steady and smooth)
    -DA/SA trigger
    -CZ75 clone
    -Israeli made
    -Looks kick-ass

It'd be nice if IWI took over the importation of these in the not so distant future. Baby Eagle isn't a cool name. Bring back Jericho!

I was going to mention the Baby Eagle also. I have 3 and they all shoot great. Not very light since they aren't polymer but the extra weight helps when shooting the snappy .40 ghey round.

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    I kind of have a thing for the older S&W 5900 series stainless semi-autos. A bit hefty for ccw but comfortable and stable in the hand to shoot. Not wild about the long trigger pull on the DAO variants though. They've been almost forgotten about and LE trade ins can be had for cheap.

I have to agree that the S&W third gen autos are a great "under the radar" gun. They're built like tanks and are fantastic shooters.

brentb636

Nov 16, 2013
    Holland, Mi
    My vote(s) go to the CZ75 ( I have 2 Compacts) and the S&W 3d Gen semi-autos. I have a Lady Smith 3714 that is everything I could ask for in a carry gun. It's very sturdy, shoots well, looks great, flat sided and conceals easily. I'm shopping for a 2d at the moment. :)

Brent

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I too am going to chime in with CZ-USA.

But I am also going to throw out a S&W revolver in .45acp.
    I have a Smith 25-2 and a buddy of mine has a Smith 625.
    Great trigger, accurate, and the fact that you have a revolver in .45 acp is just cool.

Everyone needs at least one. :)

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm another one that will have to vote for CZ. I actually like the 85 Combat better than the 75 because of the ambi controls. At last count I think there are about 10 CZs in the house.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    This post was the one I was going to write. It's actually a Tanfoglio clone, and they do make a polymer version.

If IWI US started importing the frame safety versions with the Jericho name, they'd fly off the damn shelves. Magnum Research's marketing mismanagement of these pistols is should be a crime.

I was going to mention the Baby Eagle also. I have 3 and they all shoot great. Not very light since they aren't polymer but the extra weight helps when shooting the snappy .40 ghey round.

:party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom