• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    NEW PICS AR Pistol....UPDATED!

Hello Guys. I just built this AR pistol down in the bayou.

AR01.jpg

AR02.png

AR03-1.jpg

I caved to the purist on AR15 for having my sights flipped lol!

• Essential Arms Lower
    • Rock River Lower Parts Kit
    • DPMS BCG
    • Bravo Company Charging Handle
    • Phase 5 Pistol Buffer Tube / Buffer
    • Aero Precision Upper Receiver
    • Yankee Hill Low Profile Gas Block
    • Carbine Length Gas Tube
    • PSA 10.5" Hammer Forged/Double Chrome Lined FN Barrel
    • Noveske KX3 Pig Flash Hider
    • Seekin Precision 12" Rail
    • Magpul MOE FDE Pistol Grip
    • Magpul Front/Rear Flip up Sights
    • Vortex Red/Green Dot Sight.
    • Magpul Low Profile FDE Rail Covers
    • Magpul MOE Front Angle Grip
    • CAA Cheek Rest

I two toned it using Brownells Coyote Alumahyde II. Its close, but not a perfect match.

null-14.jpg

null-9.jpg

null-8.jpg

null-6.jpg

Last edited:

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    Looks great!

That's kinda the look I'm going for when I'm done with my pistol, except I'm going to go with a shorter barrel. I also want every component/parts kit from a different manufacturer.

hawxter996

this avatar is offensive!
    Nov 11, 2008
    at home
    i recently built this and i will keep it after oct 1st.

Attachments

• IMG378.jpg
      IMG378.jpg
      50.4 KB · Views: 11,297
    • IMG379.jpg
      IMG379.jpg
      51.1 KB · Views: 11,310

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Lol. I'm not telling you how to run your gun, I'm just saying I prefer to have them the other way or run it without them all together.

CMMG+5.JPG

^^^No brotha...The AR15.com group haha.

Great looking gun you got there!

Thanks man:

CMMG Lower
    Spikes LPK
    Spikes Pistol buffer Spring
    Spikes ST-T2 Buffer
    Phase 5 Buffer Tube
    Magpul BAD lever
    Magpul 10 round MD legal magazine

LRB Upper
    Spikes 9" BAR Rail
    No Name 7" 5.56 Barrel
    YHM Gas Block
    Spikes Pistol Gas Tube
    Noveske KX3
    WMD Guns NiB BCG
    No sights. (just aim down the rail)

seawolf823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Dec 18, 2011
    Timonium
    Someone please school me on AR pistols. Do you need a tax stamp for a barrel less than 16" and do you have to do anything special to build a pistol out of a stripped lower as far as legalities? I am thinking of building one when MSP finally lets me pick up my stripped lower but I am new to the pistol builds. Thanks

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Someone please school me on AR pistols. Do you need a tax stamp for a barrel less than 16" and do you have to do anything special to build a pistol out of a stripped lower as far as legalities? I am thinking of building one when MSP finally lets me pick up my stripped lower but I am new to the pistol builds. Thanks

Here are the legalities:

1. On weapons with a barrel under 16", no vertical handgrip on any weapon with an overall length under 26" (AFG are fine however)
    2. You may have a barrel of any length, an 11" barrel and proper buffer tube can put you over the 26" limit.
    3. Any weapon in MD with a barrel under 16" must be transported in accordance to the rules for handguns. (perhaps not, but I am being conservative).
    4. That's most of what you need to know. There is no requirement to get a tax stamp unless you want to build an AOW (under 26" and less than 16" barrel with a vertical fore grip) or an SBR (stock added to a pistol length upper with a barrel under 16")

In the previous post above:

The top picture is a pistol (both federally and state law)

Below that is a firearm (federally) that is not an AOW due to it's 26.5" length but is a "handgun" per MD 5-101(n) but not per 4-201(c). The ATF does not see it as an AOW because it is not easily concealed on the person.

Mark

PS -

United States Code:

ATF weapons definitions are located in 26 USC 5845(a) of the internal revenue service code.

Maryland Criminal Code 4-201(c) is not very specific:

(c) Handgun.-
    (1) "Handgun" means a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person.
    (2) "Handgun" includes a short-barreled shotgun and a short-barreled rifle.
    (3) "Handgun" does not include a shotgun, rifle, or antique firearm.

Maryland Public Safety Code 5-101(n) is more specific:

(n) Handgun.-
    (1) "Handgun" means a firearm with a barrel less than 16 inches in length.
    (2) "Handgun" includes signal, starter, and blank pistols.

But the definitions in the public safety code are not necessarily applicable to the criminal code. The definitions should be consistent, but like the MD legislature are wildly unpredictable.

(1) "Handgun" means a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person. <- what do they mean by this??? (ATF definition, arbitrary determination, what?)

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Alright what's the consensus on barrel length I'm gonna build my first pistol. Is 7.5" cool or is it too short? 10.5"?

7.5" are notorious for not running well, mine does, but that could be a fluke. You would be best served with a 10.5-11.5" barrel especially if you plan on running suppressed. Most companies won't want you to run a 7.5" with a suppressor due to bullet instability causing baffle strikes. Plus, it's loud as hell!

seawolf823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Dec 18, 2011
    Timonium
    Here are the legalities:

1. On weapons with a barrel under 16", no vertical handgrip on any weapon with an overall length under 26" (AFG are fine however)
    2. You may have a barrel of any length, an 11" barrel and proper buffer tube can put you over the 26" limit.
    3. Any weapon in MD with a barrel under 16" must be transported in accordance to the rules for handguns. (perhaps not, but I am being conservative).
    4. That's most of what you need to know. There is no requirement to get a tax stamp unless you want to build an AOW (under 26" and less than 16" barrel with a vertical fore grip) or an SBR (stock added to a pistol length upper with a barrel under 16")

In the previous post above:

The top picture is a pistol (both federally and state law)

Below that is a firearm (federally) that is not an AOW due to it's 26.5" length but is a "handgun" per MD 5-101(n) but not per 4-201(c). The ATF does not see it as an AOW because it is not easily concealed on the person.

Mark

PS -

United States Code:

ATF weapons definitions are located in 26 USC 5845(a) of the internal revenue service code.

Maryland Criminal Code 4-201(c) is not very specific:

(c) Handgun.-
    (1) "Handgun" means a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person.
    (2) "Handgun" includes a short-barreled shotgun and a short-barreled rifle.
    (3) "Handgun" does not include a shotgun, rifle, or antique firearm.

Maryland Public Safety Code 5-101(n) is more specific:

(n) Handgun.-
    (1) "Handgun" means a firearm with a barrel less than 16 inches in length.
    (2) "Handgun" includes signal, starter, and blank pistols.

But the definitions in the public safety code are not necessarily applicable to the criminal code. The definitions should be consistent, but like the MD legislature are wildly unpredictable.

(1) "Handgun" means a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person. <- what do they mean by this??? (ATF definition, arbitrary determination, what?)

So in other words I can build it with any size barrel as and can be less than 26" overall as long as I only use an AFG and not a vertical foregrip.
    Am I correct? Or would that be considered AOW

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom