• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob-ss

May 4, 2010
    Maryland
    I got my FL CCW permit with an embossed notary, not the inked stamp. No problems. Of course I don't understand your "scanned" comment. I did scan my application so I could retain a copy, but I sent the original notarized application to FL.

In my case it took about 6 weeks round trip from MD to FL and back to MD. I just got mine about three weeks ago so I'm guessing that is as current a metric of their turnaround time as you're likely to get, for now.

And to address another FAQ recently, I sent one combined check.

They scan these applications and send them somewhere (don't know where). I called and they said they would like the notary to use a rubber ink stamp because if the embossed stamp did not scan well it could delay processing and I may have to go through and resubmit everything again. Just trying to avoid any hassle and get this done right the first time.

P.S.- Found a notary with a rubber stamp, sent off my app today!

rob-ss

May 4, 2010
    Maryland
    I'm confused. I was under the impression that Fla does accept the Utah permit...

From the MidAtlantic Firearms Training Site:

firearm_map_000.gif

Doesn't "Formal Reciprocity" mean they accept it?

Jamie

Florida accepts the Utah permit but only if you are a resident of Utah.

rob-ss

May 4, 2010
    Maryland
    So, when I get my Utah non-resident permit, I can only carry in the 15 light blue states? I was under the impression that it was also good in VA and PA... :confused:

Utah is touted as the "Gold Standard" of non-resident permits...

Jamie

No, some states such as VA and PA recognize the Utah permit whether you are a resident of Utah or not, but other states such as FLA only recognize the permit if you are a resident. You have to visit some of the sites provided by other members in this thread and check the individual state laws before heading to that state and carrying your weapon. With a Utah non-resident ccw permit, you can carry in better than 25 states, Florida just isn't one of them.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    No, some states such as VA and PA recognize the Utah permit whether you are a resident of Utah or not, but other states such as FLA only recognize the permit if you are a resident. You have to visit some of the sites provided by other members in this thread and check the individual state laws before heading to that state and carrying your weapon. With a Utah non-resident ccw permit, you can carry in better than 25 states, Florida just isn't one of them.

Here is the state of Florida's official reciprocity list: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

Although it is of course subject to change as state laws change, as of today (6/12/2010) with a non-resident Florida concealed carry permit you can carry in 31 states, which is a pretty impressive number. Utah is one of them. The killer is footnote #4 in that list.

(If you count that list you'll discover 30 states without footnote #4. You get to 31 by adding Florida itself onto their list.)

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Here is the state of Florida's official reciprocity list: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

Although it is of course subject to change as state laws change, as of today (6/12/2010) with a non-resident Florida concealed carry permit you can carry in 31 states, which is a pretty impressive number. Utah is one of them. The killer is footnote #4 in that list.

(If you count that list you'll discover 30 states without footnote #4. You get to 31 by adding Florida itself onto their list.)

Oh, I should add, as a Maryland resident holding a non-resident Florida CCW permit is still pretty good. If you examine Florida's official reciprocity list you'll discover that all of our border surrounding states recognize their permit, specifically: Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Delaware. You can "pretty much" go up and down I-95 to Florida non-stop and carry, i.e. VA, NC, GA, and FL. The only "gotcha" in that list is SC. SC recognizes the FL permit but only if you're an actual FL resident. The infamous footnote #4. Sigh. Kinda messes up a part of my trip down there (I have relatives in FL and we always stop in SC overnight).

Even so, a great deal my book. I got my non-resident FL CCW permit in the mail about three weeks ago & I couldn't be happier!

And finally, if others want to do this too, you might start at the following link on Florida's official web page. They'll send you the forms in the mail. You fill it out, supply the required material to them, mail it back in, and back it comes through the mail. Simple.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

If you have any questions about the form or the application I can try to answer them. But I found the whole process pretty straightforward. You shouldn't have any trouble if you elect to go down that route.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Okay, I think I have it now. It just sucks, because I really thought that Florida was covered (as I travel there 3-4 times a year...). Oh well, I guess the FLA non-resident permit is next on my list...

Jamie

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I will try to clear this up a little. A Non-resident Utah Concealed Firearms Permit is accepted by 27 States. Of the States shown on the map earlier in this thread; Florida, Colorodo, Michigan and New Hampshire do not accept anyones non-resident permit. Florida and New Hampshire will issue non-resident permits.

For those asking why get the UT vs FL permit? If you need the trainning anyway, why not take the UT course and get both permits. Heres why: with the FL permit you get Florida and Kansas, the UT permit adds Minnesota. I have permits for several states. This was done to get maximum coverage, as many of you know laws change almost daily and what is good one day may not be the next. With multiple permits you may keep the ability to carry in a State that has dropped recognition of one States permit.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions. If I do not have the answer I will do the research to find it. And by the way I have a UT class coming up on June 25 in Waldorf, MD and July 27 in Smithsburg, MD. The price for MDS members is $100.00 Check out my web site for more information. Mdeng

Weak_Hand_Only

Mar 17, 2010
    CRAP!!! I just received Notice of ERROR OR OMISSION from my application. It says that my MD Police Training Commission Firearms Safety Training Course Certificate of Completion is NOT SUFFICIENT for evidence of having completed firearms safety. WTH! When I called she said that they need a "certificate" but it says CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION right on the damn card. Has anyone else experienced this? When I called the MD Police Training Commission the man said he'd never heard of such a thing. Did I catch a FLA official on a bad day or something?

Ok here's the scoop. I was able to get by with a signed letter from an NRA instructor that participates in IDPA stating that they find me competent with a firearm. I also submitted copies of my IDPA and USPSA membership cards along with a nice letter explaining how often I compete and the disciplines required. After some relentless calling I was able to speak with a supervisor who allowed me to email him the scanned copies of the above stated documents and ok'd them right over the phone. This save a huge amount of time considering you only have 30 days from receipt of your error and omission letter to get everything they need or you have to start from scratch.

Sent my original packet in May 5th
    Received Error and Omissions letter June 5th
    Received verbal acceptance of my new docs June 16th
    Received a PERSONAL PHONE CALL FROM THE SUPERVISOR!!! stating my license has been sent out and I should receive it in 5-7 business days.
    NOW THAT'S SERVICE!

Not a bad turnaround considering the hiccup.

rob-ss

May 4, 2010
    Maryland
    Got my packet today and also registered for the Utah CCW course from Mid-Atlantic on May 29th. Wonder which one will arrive first:D

And the answer is............................Florida. Sent my Fla. CCW packet out June 7th, they cashed my check June 18th and I got the permit today June 25th. That's got to be a record! Still waiting on the Utah permit. Took that class May 29th. Also wanted to say thanks to everyone that provided all the helpful info in this thread:thumbsup:

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    And the answer is............................Florida. Sent my Fla. CCW packet out June 7th, they cashed my check June 18th and I got the permit today June 25th. That's got to be a record! Still waiting on the Utah permit. Took that class May 29th. Also wanted to say thanks to everyone that provided all the helpful info in this thread:thumbsup:

I just got my UT last week. I received it just a day or two inside of 60 days. As you probably know, the 60 days starts counting the day UT charges your credit card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom