• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Me, the OP, again. Nice to see there are other MTBers here.

I haven't yet tried anything in Patapsco. Not that it's that far, but it's a bit of a pain for me to get to compared with Loch Raven, since I live in North Baltimore. I am trying to get back into MTBing the way I got into guns a few years ago (joining forums, learning a bit here and there), but I really cannot afford ANOTHER hobby. I build models, I buy and shoot guns, and then the MTBing thing. I'd have loved to get a 6 series Trek but it was just out of my price range, and just doesn't seem to go along with my skills anyway, which aren't that good.

I did see that Green Ridge has a real MTB trail, and may check it out this summer sometime. In the meantime, I am planning to go to Raystown Lake sometime before 4th of July (have some time off from work coming up), weather permitting.

Here's a pic of my bike...it's already absorbed a few scratches since this pic. I also have Shimano clipless pedals on it now.

3965226957_0e686cfbd1_b.jpg

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Shenandoah National Park/Skyline Drive has some great ATV/MT.B trails. I hike up there all the time with my wife but haven't biked it; from what I understand, it's pretty challenging. Gotta watch out for the black bears though.

My wife and I were hiking this past weekend and came ftf (50 ft or so away) with a full grown male. Freaking awesome. A little bit of shouting and clapping and I suppose the bear thought I was too bat-sh--- crazy to fool around with so he took off. On the way up, all the city slickers caused a traffic jam when a bear cub was harassing a tree by the road. Don't know where the sow was but I'm sure she wasn't too far off.

Coffee

Jan 12, 2009
    Odenton
    Shenandoah National Park/Skyline Drive has some great ATV/MT.B trails. I hike up there all the time with my wife but haven't biked it; from what I understand, it's pretty challenging. Gotta watch out for the black bears though.

I was under the impression that Shenandoah National Park didn't permit bikes on their trails. Am I mistaken?

Either way, if I'm making the drive out there, I think I'd be happier getting out to GW National Forest.

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    I still have my old Kona Lava Dome, Yes, It's from the Joe Murray era, 4.5lb, chromoly, fully butted frame. I'll never get rid of it

HKB

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2007
    Finksburg, MD
    I have a Cannondale Jekell 700 that I am getting ready to put up for sale(going to get it tuned up & swap out the pedals).
    I did not like the full suspension and I want to get a hardtail 29er
    IMG_2377.1.jpg

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    I was under the impression that Shenandoah National Park didn't permit bikes on their trails. Am I mistaken?

Either way, if I'm making the drive out there, I think I'd be happier getting out to GW National Forest.

Depends on the trail from what I understand. They have ATV trails and allow bikes on some trails but you have to know which ones are which.

Sinjin

Jan 21, 2009
    I don't go anymore, but used to...still have my bike.

A 2008 Gary Fisher Cobia 29er. Only things I've done to it is put clipless pedals and the thing for a water bottle.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    ***ALERT***

be careful at Loch Raven, it is illegal to ride MTB there
    read more about it here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=567014

There are many trails you can ride on there, NONE are posted no bikes, and they've declared a sort of moratorium on ticketing bikers until they work out how to live in harmony with the bikers.

In the meantime, there are bikers ALL over there every nice weekend biking on all trails, believe me. Not that I would do such a thing.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    You guys have me missing my bike. I raced in the EUCOM circuit in the Masters bracket when I was stationed in Germany between 99 and 2002. Loved riding the alps. I have a 2000 Diamondback XR1 that's had a few more XTR components added. Now it collects dust. I need to tune it up and get my tail retuned for riding. Hell, who am I kidding, I'm 51 now, I'll watch.
    Those of you who want a great reference on repair and maintenance, look at a book called: Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance Great reference.

Cannon

Dec 10, 2009
    Baltimore
    2409233338_c4f3c6b869_o.jpg

Here mine in beer getter config. It had a big DH chainring and a fixed cog in this photo, I switched it back to 32x16 for snow duties this winter.

I reeeeaaly wish I could justify buying a Pugsley.
    surly_pugsley_small.jpg

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    You guys have me missing my bike. I raced in the EUCOM circuit in the Masters bracket when I was stationed in Germany between 99 and 2002. Loved riding the alps. I have a 2000 Diamondback XR1 that's had a few more XTR components added. Now it collects dust. I need to tune it up and get my tail retuned for riding. Hell, who am I kidding, I'm 51 now, I'll watch.
    Those of you who want a great reference on repair and maintenance, look at a book called: Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance Great reference.

Hogwash! I was consumed by mtb'in from age 40 to 55, so get on that thang...'cept now I'm 60, so you can ride off the back with me.

When is somebody gonna say it? Ok, I will - Mdshooters mtb ride

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    2409233338_c4f3c6b869_o.jpg

Here mine in beer getter config. It had a big DH chainring and a fixed cog in this photo, I switched it back to 32x16 for snow duties this winter.

I reeeeaaly wish I could justify buying a Pugsley.
    surly_pugsley_small.jpg

Sand and snow Pugsley. How is it on snow? A 32X16 is mighty slow:-)

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Hell, who am I kidding, I'm 51 now, I'll watch.

I will be 56 in a few days Kiddo:D And yes, I cannot ride the way I ride 5 years ago. My mind still say "go for that steep incline, or take that 4 foot drop" but I know the body can't take it anymore:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom