• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I used to collect Winchesters and I have never seen a factory rear sight like that one. I'm going to go with it being an aftermarket part. Winchester did install a LOT of special order stuff though. If the movement issue could be fixed, I think it would be an excellent sight for hunting and would have fast acquisition of sight alignment.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I used to collect Winchesters and I have never seen a factory rear sight like that one. I'm going to go with it being an aftermarket part. Winchester did install a LOT of special order stuff though. If the movement issue could be fixed, I think it would be an excellent sight for hunting and would have fast acquisition of sight alignment.

Like I said I may get crazy one night and JB Weld it to itself. After looking closer tonight the factory sight was definitely modified for this aftermarket aperture to fit it.

I’ll keep the ad updated.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Like I said I may get crazy one night and JB Weld it to itself. After looking closer tonight the factory sight was definitely modified for this aftermarket aperture to fit it.

I’ll keep the ad updated.

What I don't see is the little notch in the center of the buckhorn, used to align the front sight. It doesn't look like the sight is one of those cheap aftermarket replacements though. I'm thinking it is a higher end version.
    Look forward to seeing how you make out with it.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    What I don't see is the little notch in the center of the buckhorn, used to align the front sight. It doesn't look like the sight is one of those cheap aftermarket replacements though. I'm thinking it is a higher end version.
    Look forward to seeing how you make out with it.

Someone removed the piece with the notch from the original sight. Then installed the peep aperture. I took it off and put a very small dab of JB Weld on the back of the peep aperture and replaced it. Holding strong and I think it will be ok. Bore sighted it across the basement and got it on target.

I still may order the original replacement from Numrich. I do not prefer the peep sight as I do the originals like my other Winchesters and Henrys. But I will wait until I shoot it to make that decision.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Thread update....

I took the 1894 to a buddy’s farm and shot it at 50 yards to see how it would do in the woods against babmi this year. Glad I did. The sight is totally wrong for the rifle. Not sure what it should be on but it is not a Winchester. Shot 2 feet high at 50 yards with the sight on the lowest setting and letting the bead rest at the bottom of the ring on the peep sight.

Needless to say I ordered a new sight from Numrich after that. When it arrives I’ll install it and try it again.

Thread update....

I took the 1894 to a buddy’s farm and shot it at 50 yards to see how it would do in the woods against babmi this year. Glad I did. The sight is totally wrong for the rifle. Not sure what it should be on but it is not a Winchester. Shot 2 feet high at 50 yards with the sight on the lowest setting and letting the bead rest at the bottom of the ring on the peep sight.

Needless to say I ordered a new sight from Numrich after that. When it arrives I’ll install it and try it again.

That explains why I could never find the shot on paper once I went past 25 yards

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Worst case, you may have to change the front sight post to a taller one if the replacement doesn't work for you. A taller front sight will lower point of impact.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I installed the new rear sight today. What a difference in just boresighting across the basement! I think this one will be ok.

Should have a range report next weekend when I take it back to the farm and sight it in again.

Attachments

• C00BC5B0-E8FD-4FE9-AAF5-5F6DC42DE1A3.jpg
      C00BC5B0-E8FD-4FE9-AAF5-5F6DC42DE1A3.jpg
      63.2 KB · Views: 67

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Be careful with the 2 little screws that secure the rear sight blade. The sliding elevator should get you pretty close but, fine tuning by moving the blade can be tricky and those screws are relatively easy to overtighten/ mess up. Been there, done that! I started using a jewelers screwdriver, just using it between my thumb & index finger to tighten the screws. At least they are better than those tiny little screws that Ruger uses. Even when being gentle, I invariably snap one of the Ruger screws off!

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Be careful with the 2 little screws that secure the rear sight blade. The sliding elevator should get you pretty close but, fine tuning by moving the blade can be tricky and those screws are relatively easy to overtighten/ mess up. Been there, done that! I started using a jewelers screwdriver, just using it between my thumb & index finger to tighten the screws. At least they are better than those tiny little screws that Ruger uses. Even when being gentle, I invariably snap one of the Ruger screws off!

Good advice. Thank you. I’ll make sure to only use a precision screwdriver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom