• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "If you want a quick build, buy very expensive parts like Sig."

I know where you are headed with this but some of those Sig parts are not as good as McCormick or Wilson Value line parts. And their beavertail contour is one of the worst, in my experience. I wouldn't categorically equate expensive Sig with drop in proper fit. Virtual no 1911 parts are. I have a Sig pistol to prove it. Nice gun, but they just need to finish the approach and carry it out.

In reference to the previous post, one other modification, perhaps two if need be, which must be done to a frame are setting the barrel bed and perhaps the VIS when timing the barrel (if not very minor other methods may be done to accomplish this). Feedramp cutting is best done utilizing the services of a smith with a mill. It can be done otherwise but is very long, tedious and risky.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I have had the same experience with the Wilson Combat parts, but in the long run, figuring out what needed to be fitted and where helped me learn a lot about how the gun works.

If you want a quick build, buy very expensive parts like Sig. If you want to learn how the gun works, buy less expensive parts mid or lower end stuff offered by WC and Brownell's (not saying all their parts are lower end, saying they offer across the board pricing on parts of varying fit).

I agree 100%. Although my thumbs started to get sore with all the filing the small parts, it was a lot of fun. I enjoyed the process a lot. I definitely got a much better appreciation for the brilliant design that is the 1911. And considering it is over 105 years old this year, that makes it all the more brilliant.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Update:

Spent a few hours on the rainy Sunday to fit and lap in the slide. Another hour getting the barrel bushing fitted and lapped to the slide and that's where I stand for now. Next up is fitting the barrel to the frame/slide. The rest should be down hill from there. :innocent0

Attachments

• Phantom 1911.jpg
      Phantom 1911.jpg
      60.5 KB · Views: 441

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Update:

Spent a few hours on the rainy Sunday to fit and lap in the slide. Another hour getting the barrel bushing fitted and lapped to the slide and that's where I stand for now. Next up is fitting the barrel to the frame/slide. The rest should be down hill from there.

Until you get to the thumb safety :sad20:

Nothing on our 2 80% builds and improvements on my Para were half as frustrating as working out the fitting of the thumb safeties to the parts they interact with.

Remember to do most of the fit on the bushing ... it costs a lot less than a barrel. No fun looking for a bushing with a super small ID to go with a barrel that has become too small.:thumbsup:

Rock on! Hope you are as happy with your end result as I am with mine. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Until you get to the thumb safety :sad20:

Nothing on our 2 80% builds and improvements on my Para were half as frustrating as working out the fitting of the thumb safeties to the parts they interact with.

Remember to do most of the fit on the bushing ... it costs a lot less than a barrel. No fun looking for a bushing with a super small ID to go with a barrel that has become too small.:thumbsup:

Rock on! Hope you are as happy with your end result as I am with mine. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I started with a pre fitted Storm Lake barrel and bushing, makes it much easier. :D

Here's a comparison to one of my other Mil-spec builds I did on an Essex frame some years ago. I really like the 6" slide/barrel look! :party29:

{sorry for crappy pic}

Attachments

• Compare.jpg
      Compare.jpg
      66.9 KB · Views: 404

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface