• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have come to the conclusion that they both have their place. If weight is my priority then I'm going to going with a polymer striker fired option. If trigger quality and accuracy are my priorities, then I'm going with a metal framed hammer fired pistol.

Pistols have their applications, aside of deep concealment, retention shooting distances, makes no sense to give up accuracy and trigger for a few extra ounces of weight. I think what proliferates the plastics most is cost and weight savings. We all have our preferences.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    I've have a CZ-P09 and fits my hand well. FNX 45 is my other and that's a great shooter as well, CZ just has that pull for me, I need to get a few more, though the Steyr L9A1 has caught my eye...

Last edited:

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    Would like to here more about these Canik CZ clones. How are the triggers?

If you're after a p01 clone the canick stingray 55 c is a great pistol. It comes stock with tritium sights, the machining is top notch and it nails the ergonomics of the original. The trigger was a little worse than my out of box CZs as far as creep and take up, but even my CZs werent great and all end up going to Cajun gunworks anyways.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    Would like to here more about these Canik CZ clones. How are the triggers?

My TriStar (Canik) C-100 may be the exception, but it has by far the lightest, smoothest trigger out-of-the-box of all my guns, in both DA and SA mode. I have taken that gun to show several people and all were amazed at the trigger. It is also extremely light, even lighter than it's counterpart CZ 75 PCR. I have a couple other Caniks - Shark-FC and TP9SA (striker fire) and neither have the trigger of my C-100. BTW, I am a huge fan of CZs and currently own several, including the P01, P07, 75B, CZ82 and CZ83. CZs are great guns, but I am still extremely impressed with the Canik brand - I may eventually pick up a Stingray.

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    So basically you're saying that the Canik clones of the CZ-75 are worthwhile, less expensive alternatives?

There's a part of me that wants to give the knock-offs a go, but part of me just wants to stick to the real deal. Then again, the next 1911 I buy most likely won't be a Colt, so there's that.

drewhall

May 29, 2009
    Maryland
    I know CZ is starting to pick up a little but I have to give them a nod. Less heard of among main stream gun owners and I haven't handled one I was disappointed by. Own a P07 Duty and it is a beast. Came with night sights and a decent DA/SA trigger. Ergos are good, accurate, only thing is the take down pin sucks. This was our first CZ purchase and it won't be the last. I always have to explain myself when people ask what my wife shoots.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    So basically you're saying that the Canik clones of the CZ-75 are worthwhile, less expensive alternatives?

There's a part of me that wants to give the knock-offs a go, but part of me just wants to stick to the real deal. Then again, the next 1911 I buy most likely won't be a Colt, so there's that.

I gave the Caniks a try and wasn't disappointed. But I swear, there are so many people on these threads that have this strange thinking that buying a clone of anything (CZ, 1911, Glock, 92FS, etc.) is like committing treason of some sort. I've either owned or have owned all of those originals, but also own clones of all of those originals and have been very happy with them. It kinda reminds me of the Kimber bashers who never owned a Kimber, but love to bash them on the internet because they "heard" something somewhere.

Anyway, the Caniks are not that expensive - pick one up and give it a try and if you don't like it, sell it! Hell, I would probably buy it from you.

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I gave the Caniks a try and wasn't disappointed. But I swear, there are so many people on these threads that have this strange thinking that buying a clone of anything (CZ, 1911, Glock, 92FS, etc.) is like committing treason of some sort. I've either own or have owned all of those originals, but also own clones of all of those originals and have been very happy with them. It kinda reminds me of the Kimber bashers who never owned a Kimber, but love to bash them on the internet because they "heard" something somewhere.

Anyway, the Caniks are not that expensive - pick one up and give it a try and if you don't like it, sell it! Hell, I would probably buy it from you.
    I think that there was probably a time when a clone of a popular firearm was going to be a serious downgrade from the real thing, but anymore with manufacturing being what it is with CNC precision machining and metallurgy being overall improved from what it was yesteryear, a lot of the clones are going to be pretty danged close to the original, and possibly even better - given the fact that some of our favorite name brands have taken a pretty hard hit from an overall quality and QC perspective.

I'm certainly game to give them a try - quality doesn't always have to be about the amount of money a person spends, although there will always been certain things where you get what you pay for.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I'm starting to gain some interest in a CZ. I was watching Hickok shoot one. I have a hankering for a gun with a DA/SA trigger, and preferably a decocker. I am happy with all black, if that's cheapest. The thing is, the decocker photo I saw on Bud's looked like the safety was totally different (CZ 75 BD), than the 1911-style gun that is the CZ 75 B Omega? Or maybe there is no safety at all, and just the decocker? I would prefer to get one with basically a safety that looks the same as a non-decocker model. But maybe the DA trigger with decockernegates the need for a safety? Does CZ make such a thing? I believe the Canik is like that, right?

Thoughts?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm starting to gain some interest in a CZ. I was watching Hickok shoot one. I have a hankering for a gun with a DA/SA trigger, and preferably a decocker. I am happy with all black, if that's cheapest. The thing is, the decocker photo I saw on Bud's looked like the safety was totally different (CZ 75 BD), than the 1911-style gun that is the CZ 75 B Omega? Or maybe there is no safety at all, and just the decocker? I would prefer to get one with basically a safety that looks the same as a non-decocker model. But maybe the DA trigger with decockernegates the need for a safety? Does CZ make such a thing? I believe the Canik is like that, right?

Thoughts?

The decocker version (CZ-75BD) is just a decocker, no safety. The thumb safety version (CZ-75B) has a safety with no decocker.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I don't know if its considered a secret, but it's pretty new. My vp9 is hands down my new favorite pistol :D

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I've got a P99 - one day I'd like to also have a PPK, but also a PPQ, which has also been used in the Bond franchise.

I own a P99 AS compact, a PPK/S and a PPQ M2. The P99 and PPQ are two favorites of mine. The PPK/S hurts the web of my hand due the sharp recoil and the very sharp edges on the grip and frame, plus the sights are very difficult for me to use due to my advanced age. However, I don't want to give up on the PPK/S because, frankly, I just like this little gun! Consequently, I will be sending the slide off for new sights, and after that the gun will be going to Cylinder and Slide for some custom work (trigger cleanup and a melt job which will include smoothing the grip and beavertail).

Anyway, if you have never fired a PPK or PPK/S, I would highly suggest you do so. Some people don't have a problem with them - others do and end up selling the gun. I am a "tweener" and will hopefully love my PPK/S, but only after investing some money into it, and I expect it to be a keeper in my collection.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Good stuff - much appreciated. This ties into the "best kept secret" guns though. I've always felt that for the money, the P99 and PPQ are really nice pistols in the polymer framed pistol market, and are a great alternative to the default Glock that gets bandied about any time anyone asks for suggestions on pistol purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom