• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I can't believe they need to do these... Regardless, here it is.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1568315131704.jpg
      FB_IMG_1568315131704.jpg
      103.3 KB · Views: 499

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Actually I think it's a good thing. Get out there and talk to folks. Chances are if you come to this you've already done some research and understand the realities of being a cop.

There was an MSP and ATF booth at the sportsman's show in OC last weekend. They were friendly and there to talk to folks who had questions.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I wish it was on the weekend, I'd take my son. We have Thursday evening appointments. He is only 11, but really wants to be a cop, and I think it would be cool for him to see what all they do.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Law enforcement nationwide is having trouble getting qualified recruits. With Nazi groups like Antifa running amuck and cities increasingly forbidding law enforcement from doing their jobs who wants to deal with it? It's also a good economy...that depresses military and law enforcement recruitment due to the wide availability of well paying jobs. When the economy retracts, the military and police see an increase in recruits.

Basically...it's Trump's fault! :rolleyes:

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    They don't 'need' to do this. They do this in an effort to reach out in their hiring beyond the usual pool of folks who knock on their door unsolicited. The same with career fire departments like DCFD or BFD. They have no shortage of folks applying who are lateral transfers from smaller departments or have volunteered for a number of years in their small town in WV or southern MD. But if your marching orders from the city council are that you need to hire short overweight minority females, you have to do outreach.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    They don't 'need' to do this. They do this in an effort to reach out in their hiring beyond the usual pool of folks who knock on their door unsolicited. The same with career fire departments like DCFD or BFD. They have no shortage of folks applying who are lateral transfers from smaller departments or have volunteered for a number of years in their small town in WV or southern MD. But if your marching orders from the city council are that you need to hire short overweight minority females, you have to do outreach.

Exactly. They need to fill their "quota".

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Question from a layman...

I know you can go to college for Criminal Justice and other sort of police-related fields. So when folks sign up and become a (new) cadet with a department I know that they go to an academy. What is the point of getting any degree if you're sent to an academy anyways? Does it help to advance through the ranks any?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Having a degree in Criminal Justice does help with promotions. In some agencies it's mandatory to even get the job unless you have military MP experience. Many, if not most, higher ranking supervisors have advanced degrees. It may not actually help you on the street to have a degree but it can and does help advance.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

I know you can go to college for Criminal Justice and other sort of police-related fields. So when folks sign up and become a (new) cadet with a department I know that they go to an academy. What is the point of getting any degree if you're sent to an academy anyways? Does it help to advance through the ranks any?

Often there is a points system employed for hiring. Being an MP gives you X points, veteran Y points and an associates in criminal justice Z points. With the length that the hiring process takes, spending two years on the associates is not time truly lost. Also an opportunity to network, do ride-alongs etc. and get a better idea which of the many agencies is the right one.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Often there is a points system employed for hiring. Being an MP gives you X points, veteran Y points and an associates in criminal justice Z points. With the length that the hiring process takes, spending two years on the associates is not time truly lost. Also an opportunity to network, do ride-alongs etc. and get a better idea which of the many agencies is the right one.

Do the colleges afford students headed for LE careers the opportunity for ride alongs and such?

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    TheOriginalMexicanBob said:
    ... It's also a good economy...that depresses military and law enforcement recruitment due to the wide availability of well paying jobs. When the economy retracts, the military and police see an increase in recruits.

Bingo.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Do the colleges afford students headed for LE careers the opportunity for ride alongs and such?

You don't need them to. Find an agency you're interested in and see if they offer ridealongs. (Many non-federal agencies do.)

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011

And... Often times it ultimately means nothing because regardless of what you have on paper, you still have to make it through the process and plenty of people with everything you mentioned don't. Regardless of what a recruiting unit may tell you, none of that is a golden key. In fact, a lot of agencies will be more interested in actual life/job experience vs time in a classroom. Those things were more of a factor when the number of applicants greatly exceeded the amount of openings but even then they weren't a guarantee. Nobody gives a sh!t about what your professor thought about you or how many stars your thesis on community policing got if you're a bag of ass.

I'm not saying it's a waste for those who could otherwise qualify but it's not going to make up for other things that are required.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central

I wouldn't recommend anyone interested in a LE career to get any sort of Criminal Justice anything. It is pointless.

It's a degree that typically isn't needed to get hired at the local level. You can't do anything with it at the end of ones policing career. If your goal is to get promoted it's fairly useless as well unless they require a "degree".

Get a degree in something outside of CJ so if you decide in 5 years you hate the career you have other options. If you get hurt outside of work and you can no longer do the police thing you have another option. If you do your 25 years and want to leave you have another option.

The agencies police academy and field training is what matters. Not a CJ degree.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    They don't 'need' to do this.

I disagree. We're not getting as many applicants as we used to and that's a hard fact. The numbers just aren't there. We also cant overlook the damage of the Ferguson Effect on recruiting and retention. Twenty years ago I applied everywhere and waited to see who called. I had a DD214 and a perfect score on most police tests. It was a tough market. Now we have to convince kids to be cops...

This is VERY Agency specific. A lot of places require a two or four year degree to get hired. Some don't. CALEA and IACP like command staff to have advanced degrees, but there's a school of thought that says those requirements are unfair. I don't know of any agency in this part of the country that requires a CJ degree, but POST programs out west might. Some of the alphabet Feds require specific degrees but most just want any degree.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Another problem with many police agencies is the powers that be often pre-select someone they know that's retiring from another agency...the process is merely going through the motions to get the guy on board in choice positions. It puts a ceiling on upward mobility. I've seen it happen numerous times...once it was stopped as the brown noser being hired was being processed in and several in-house officers filed complaints with OPM. It stopped the process and the entire promotion had to be restarted and the position re-written to not exclude the officers who otherwise wouldn't have qualified. It didn't change anything...just delayed the inevitable.

I was known as being "anti-management" by certain supervisors...I wasn't...there has to be managers...someone has to make the decisions. What I was was anti-bad management. That attitude did not sit well with certain supervisors but I couldn't do otherwise and be true to myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom