• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    After a long absence, I'm going to hit the fields this year. I've picked up a few shotguns in a variety of configurations. Since someone else may benefit from this, too, I'll ask. What makes a great dove shotgun? I'm not asking about specific models or brands. Just looking for action, choke, barrel length, etc. Thanks.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I prefer my 20ga pump with #6-8 bird loads, 26" barrel and a modified choke. A good retriever is nice too.

Last edited:

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Others may have better ideas for you. I have limited experience, but I'd use #7 or #8 shot with a modified choke if I was using my 12 gauge pump. This year I'm going to use my 16 gauge side-by-side with #7 shot. One barrel is a modified choke and one barrel is full. That may be less than ideal but I really enjoy shooting the sxs and I've found with dove hunting, you do much more shooting than hitting no matter what gun you use! So bring more ammo than you think you'll need.

Doves fly fast so a wider pattern and smaller shot is helpful. But often, you'll miss the first shot and it's nice to have a little more range for the second effort. So I think modified makes sense.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Use whichever gun you swing the best. It’s more about you than the gun.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Dove Hunting Made Easy

1. Dove flushes.

2. Holler "There he is !!!"

3. Mount 12ga. pump to shoulder.

4. Verify target and what's behind it.

5. Swing on dove and disengage safety.

6.Bang! Eject.

7. Bang! Eject.

8. Bang!

9. Eject the last of your 3 rounds of 1-1/8 oz. #8 shot.

Hollar "There He Goes!!!" just as dove disappears from sight.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    3 pounds of lead traded for 1 pound of dove.

always seemed that was my exchange rate. ;)

sometimes it 4/1 or 5/1 depending on the weather.

the pre-hunt brunch was always the best part. and the post-hunt refreshments with dinner.

12g semi. mod choke some flavor of 7-1/2 or 8 shot. the person who figures lead, speed and wind best will be the winner most days. if dove are flying.

Dove Hunting Made Easy

1. Dove flushes.

2. Holler "There he is !!!"

3. Mount 12ga. pump to shoulder.

4. Verify target and what's behind it.

5. Swing on dove and disengage safety.

6.Bang! Eject.

7. Bang! Eject.

8. Bang!

9. Eject the last of your 3 rounds of 1-1/8 oz. #8 shot.

Hollar "There He Goes!!!" just as dove disappears from sight.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    After reading some of the comments, I have to wonder if there's a way to practice before going out.

Just to add some more information, I have less than 30% success hitting clays with a SxS, unless I'm using my coach gun. Unfortunately, the silly rule about barrel length prevents me from using said coach gun on the sporting clays field.

I'm pretty successful with my O/Us and semiautos. My pump and lever shotguns also suffer from too short barrel lengths. I think that if there's going to be a large amount of shooting, a gas semiauto would be the best tool for the job. But the last time I went out, I saw exactly one dove the entire afternoon. So I'll be taking one of my Browning Superposeds out, probably the 26" with Skeet/Skeet chokes.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Then all you’ll need is a single shot Polk stalk.
    Just kidding, I think unless your hunting over sun flowers or some cut corn/ milo a pump would get it.
    It’s pretty easy to keep pulling the trigger on a S/a but recoil sensitive shooters may prefer one if there’s a lot flying.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    If you want to make it truly sporting, use a .410 with a full choke and #7.5 shot.

That's what I shot as a kid, and when I went into the service, I shot expert first time out in basic.
    (Also plinked and shot groundhogs with an open sight .22)
    My dad said that when I got a 85% hit rate, I could get a bigger gun/shotgun and move to ducks and deer.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Years ago I used my old Mossberg 500, 12 gauge pump with a modified or improved cylinder choke based on conditions. As for practice,... I have never found anything that can change directions mid-flight at the instant you pull the trigger! I was no more successful than most others, but always had a ton of fun. If you are reasonably proficient with your chosen shotgun, your chances are as good as any at harvesting some doves. I second the suggestion to have a retriever along unless you enjoy crawling through the thicket bushes.
    Enjoy!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Use whichever gun you swing the best. It’s more about you than the gun.

What I was going to say is pretty much like what you have said.

Use whatever gun you shoot the best with.

Me, I used my Benelli SBE today and shooting was pitiful. 28 shells, 8 dead birds, and 3 wounded. Granted, several were 50 yard shots, only one of which I connected on. Now that I think about it, I probably should have taken my Beretta 391 Teknys.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    After reading some of the comments, I have to wonder if there's a way to practice before going out.

Just to add some more information, I have less than 30% success hitting clays with a SxS, unless I'm using my coach gun. Unfortunately, the silly rule about barrel length prevents me from using said coach gun on the sporting clays field.

I'm pretty successful with my O/Us and semiautos. My pump and lever shotguns also suffer from too short barrel lengths. I think that if there's going to be a large amount of shooting, a gas semiauto would be the best tool for the job. But the last time I went out, I saw exactly one dove the entire afternoon. So I'll be taking one of my Browning Superposeds out, probably the 26" with Skeet/Skeet chokes.

Skeet chokes would not be my recommendation unless you really plan on having the birds really close to you. As has been shown in studies sighted on here, modified provides the best pattern there is for almost anything, and that is what I use in my guns when wing shooting.

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018

I'll be taking one of my Browning Superposeds out, probably the 26" with Skeet/Skeet chokes.

I have run a Citori 26" with Sk&Sk Invectors for decades with 7 1/2's
    Its always worked for me.
    Go and shoot some sporting clays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom