• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    You're probably right. The problem/concern is having a bunch of "new to me" shooters. I can't tell you how many times I've been indexed/muzzle swept by someone that was "just showing someone something real quick." or "I've been in the X service for Y years" etc etc. No disrespect intended but rules are there for everyone's safety.. after having been indexed/swept.. I've limited it to one "new to me" shooter at a time.

I could do something like no uncased weapons except those being shot.... hrm... ya know... that might be a solution....

This would be my concern as well...some people have a different version of safety or just don't know any better. No uncased rifles is a good solution. Also consider everyone has to use a chamber flag and make sure its inserted unless on the line, pointed torwards targets and ready to shoot(line hot).

I hope you can open it up to others here, I would like to attend if so.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Farm shoots are best kept small, IMO. No offense to anyone. Usually 4-6 of us and that's perfect. Everyone knows everyone really well and we just go with the flow as it happens.

I've been to some big farm shoots up my way without incident but people bring their people and then their peeps show up and next thing you know there's 20 extra folks who don't really shoot guns, or uncomfortable about something, whatever.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    One more point that just occurred to me. You might want to reach out to Ed Shell. He may be willing to do a private class at your property assuming his cost are covered and it’s worth his while.

Certainly worth a try but I don’t think Ed is teaching anymore. I hope I’m wrong. Ed has forgotten more about long range shooting and reloading than most of us will ever know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Farm shoots are best kept small, IMO. No offense to anyone. Usually 4-6 of us and that's perfect. Everyone knows everyone really well and we just go with the flow as it happens.

I've been to some big farm shoots up my way without incident but people bring their people and then their peeps show up and next thing you know there's 20 extra folks who don't really shoot guns, or uncomfortable about something, whatever.

I agree. 2-3 people that come w/ spouses or kids and it gets out of control quick. The other thing is typically, guys tend to showboat a bit.. ego gets in the way of safety and then it's just a big shi7 show.

At this time, there are 2 people that I'm comfortable with. It's a dad & son and i spent 2018 shooting with the dad almost every weekend. Thousands of rounds shot together.. rain, sun, snow, and sleet.

I'll probably have him help me w/ the RSO duties until we find another that we are comfortable with. I'll work on some registration system over the next few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom