• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I was mounting up an old spare Japanese-made 3-9x scope on a 308 AR that needed an optic last night, and got to thinking: is there really a market segment for 3-9x scopes anymore, or has it essentially been destroyed by the advent of 1-8x LPVOs? I honestly can't imagine ever buying another 3-9x, personally... not enough magnification on the high end, and lack of 1x (or even 1.25x or 1.5x!) on the low end makes it difficult to use in close-in applications.

Note that I'm not saying you couldn't use a 3-9x effectively if that's what you had, just that it seems like it's obsolescent compared to a 1-8x.

Shoyo

Mar 27, 2018
    3-9 or a 4-12 are what I consider traditional hunting scopes. I think the field of view on a 3 or 4x power is wide enough to make quick enough shots in the field, if that's what you already got mounted on the deer-slayer. I have an old hunting rifle I inherited with an old bushnell on there. There are better out there but the old 3-9 gets the job done. With that said, I agree that I would buy a 1-8 before I got a 3-9. Just another opinion

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    How lightweight are the 1-8x scopes, at least those in the sub $500 range?

3-9x scopes are typically used by hunters and have appeal because relatively decent quality glass can be found at a lower price ($100-200) ... and if you go with some options (like Leupold VX-1 or VX-2 scopes with 3-9x magnification for under $400 on sale), they can be around 12 oz in weight.

I bet even a basic $130-150 Nikon 3-9x will weigh less than most sub $500 1-8x scopes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    How lightweight are the 1-8x scopes, at least those in the sub $500 range?

3-9x scopes are typically used by hunters and have appeal because relatively decent quality glass can be found at a lower price ($100-200) ... and if you go with some options (like Leupold VX-1 or VX-2 scopes with 3-9x magnification for under $400 on sale), they can be around 12 oz in weight.

I bet even a basic $130-150 Nikon 3-9x will weigh less than most sub $500 1-8x scopes.

You hit the nail on the head. Cost, 3x9 scopes can be made cheaply all day long.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Most 1-8x are between 1-1.5lbs.
    Did a quick Google, and the Primary Arms 3-9x and Nikon P-223 3-9x is 15oz. Primary Arms 1-8x SFP is 17oz. I don't think the weight difference is all that much.

Price, I will admit, is a thing.

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    3-9x is surely dated and probably compared to modern scopes only useful for certain hunting applications.
    A big reason, in addition to weight and cost, is probably increased light transmission with the relatively large objective lens on 3-9x, usually 40mm+ compared to 24mm on most LPV.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Did a quick Google, and the Primary Arms 3-9x and Nikon P-223 3-9x is 15oz. Primary Arms 1-8x SFP is 17oz. I don't think the weight difference is all that much.

Price, I will admit, is a thing.
    Hunters probably won't go for the Nikon P-223 (unless hunting with a 223 rifle of course), however this Nikon 3-9x 40mm is a very popular option ...

https://www.ebay.com/p/Nikon-16329-...-8-11-3-ft-BDC-Matte-Black/217357313?thm=1000

$120
    13.3 oz

Eta: another Nikon 3-9x 40mm at $110, 13.1 oz (with 100 yd parallax setting) ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152954853016

And a Leupold 3-9x 40mm at $260, 11.2 oz ...

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B006PH6BK0/

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Damn ! Y'all trying to make me seem prehistoric or what ? I'm still bashing 3-9 , and pointing out the inherent advantages of fixed power . [ No, I'm joking .]

If the gun/ stock somewhat fits , and the scope height is somewhat close , no difference in target spotting and aquisition between a 2.5x and 1.0x . If your shooting from field postion , much less standing , only a certain amount of magnification is usable .

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I thought I had hit the big time when I was able to save up and get a 3X9 Bushnell for my Marlin 336. And take off that old K-Mart 4X scope

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    3-9x is surely dated and probably compared to modern scopes only useful for certain hunting applications.
    A big reason, in addition to weight and cost, is probably increased light transmission with the relatively large objective lens on 3-9x, usually 40mm+ compared to 24mm on most LPV.

This.

They both have there place. That little 1x8x24 looks odd on a bolt action, just like that 3x9x50 looks out of place on an AR.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I have some 3x9's on a couple fudd style rifles as well as fixed 4, 2.5 1x7's Ler scout set ups and all that never really though about it because they all work pretty well. For hunting rifles I always just try to stick with something that has an exit pupil diameter as large as I can get at the lowest power for sitting towards dark.
    During day light I try to consider glare as the worst especially on a few farms I hunt. On the shore wind primarily comes from the west and the shadows are taller in field edges in that direction= earlier game movement. All the magnification in the world doesn't do a thing with out good lens coatings/filters or blacked out tubes when looking that way at the wrong time.

Most of the stuff I run is cheap but works well in that respect. Some Chinese or Philippine 3x9 Weaver close outs I picked up a while back work exceptional well but the cross wires are real fine and bleed out when you're looking real hard.

The good stuff is one or two grand to start anyhow, I never spent that much on a scope or put one on my AR yet. Maybe one day but I doubt it.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    3x9 with a 50mm objective is perfect for the hunting I do. Anything longer than 9x and I don't risk a shot. Plus the wider objective works better in low light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom