• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acwatkins

Aug 29, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I can't find anything saying its illegal. Does anyone know if it is or not? I understand if it is allowed that it would be at my own risk but i would rather have a camera taken than deal with DNR. Thanks!

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Not allowed to "leave" anything on public land - trail cam, stand, etc

snork :D
    I hunted that little piece of public land in Crownsville, Bacon Ridge? There is so much surveyors tape that you can't actually follow one set of tapes because there are so many different ones.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I hunted that little piece of public land in Crownsville, Bacon Ridge? There is so much surveyors tape that you can't actually follow one set of tapes because there are so many different ones.

I hunted that about two years ago and you ain't kidding. There is orange ribbon and sent canister everywhere. That was the first and last time I hunted public land

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I can't find anything saying its illegal. Does anyone know if it is or not? I understand if it is allowed that it would be at my own risk but i would rather have a camera taken than deal with DNR. Thanks!

You have nothing to lose but your camera! Go for it.:D

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Get a cammo camera and then brush it up with some branches and leaves so it can't be seen.

I do that and I've also attached a note to the back of it that says "Smile! Did you find my other camera too, *******?"

I only have one camera.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    You always need cameras watching cameras. It's a photographic crossfire!

I hunted that about two years ago and you ain't kidding. There is orange ribbon and sent canister everywhere. That was the first and last time I hunted public land

You should see the ribbons on the Bacon Ridge Rd. part of that parcel.Whoever marked the property lines must of had Stevie Wonder guiding them,even some of the boundary signs are on private property.:sad20:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Old thread bump. So we never determined if it was illegal to leave cameras on public land.

Err, it appears to be a citeable offense. Can't leave a stand up overnight either. Best guess, if DNR finds it, they'll confiscate it and you probably shouldn't call them to find out if they've seen your camera.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Err, it appears to be a citeable offense. Can't leave a stand up overnight either. Best guess, if DNR finds it, they'll confiscate it and you probably shouldn't call them to find out if they've seen your camera.

Cite?

I would do it. Major purpose hunting is population control. Laws are not written to show what is legal to do, only what is illegal.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

Yep. Doesn't stop most people though. The Monocacy Natural Resource Area and McKee Beshers is filled with things like ladder stands with the bottom set of rungs missing (they set up the stand, pull the bottom rungs and hike out with them. When they want to hunt, they just carry those rungs back in) trail-marker buttons, I've even seen ground blinds out there. Stands are cheap enough now that I figure most guys feel it's less hassle to just buy a new one if their old one is confiscated than to get a climber to hunt with on public property.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    DNR really don't like things that cause arguments. The major reason they don't allow baiting. I have also seen permanent tree stands up in the air but never someone in it. Plenty of times, I have come in on afternoon hunt to see a tree stand locked to a tree from the morning.
    If you leave a cam in the same area long enough, don't be surprised if someone else hunts it when you want to.
    Good luck

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    You can't leave things on public land; it's littering. And you shouldn't leave things on public land because the land is for everyone to use and enjoy. Practically speaking, if you put out a trail cam discretely and take it down after a few weeks or months, no one is going to bother you. If you put it up in an obvious place, someone might take it. If law enforcement officer witnessed you setting up or taking down a trail camera, I suppose you could get a citation.

2010 Maryland Code
    CRIMINAL LAW
    TITLE 10 - CRIMES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH, CONDUCT, AND SENSIBILITIES
    Subtitle 1 - Crimes Against Public Health and Safety
    Section 10-110 - Litter Control Law.

§ 10-110. Litter Control Law.

(a) Definitions.-

(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.

(2) "Bi-county unit" means:

(i) the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission; or

(ii) the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission.

(3) "Litter" means all rubbish, waste matter, refuse, garbage, trash, debris, dead animals, or other discarded materials of every kind and description.

(4) "Public or private property" means:

(i) the right-of-way of a road or highway;

(ii) a body of water or watercourse or the shores or beaches of a body of water or watercourse;

(iii) a park;

(iv) a parking facility;

(v) a playground;

(vi) public service company property or transmission line right-of-way;

(vii) a building;

(viii) a refuge or conservation or recreation area;

(ix) residential or farm property; or

(x) timberlands or a forest.

(b) Declaration of intent.- The General Assembly intends to:

(1) prohibit uniformly throughout the State the improper disposal of litter on public or private property; and

(2) curb the desecration of the beauty of the State and harm to the health, welfare, and safety of its citizens caused by the improper disposal of litter.

(c) Prohibited.- A person may not:

(1) dispose of litter on a highway or perform an act that violates the State Vehicle Laws regarding disposal of litter, glass, and other prohibited substances on highways; or

(2) dispose or cause or allow the disposal of litter on public or private property unless:

(i) the property is designated by the State, a unit of the State, or a political subdivision of the State for the disposal of litter and the person is authorized by the proper public authority to use the property; or

(ii) the litter is placed into a litter receptacle or container installed on the property.

(d) Presumption of responsibility.- If two or more individuals are occupying a motor vehicle, boat, airplane, or other conveyance from which litter is disposed in violation of subsection (c) of this section, and it cannot be determined which occupant is the violator:

(1) if present, the owner of the conveyance is presumed to be responsible for the violation; or

(2) if the owner of the conveyance is not present, the operator is presumed to be responsible for the violation.

(e) Property owner not in court.- Notwithstanding any other law, if the facts of a case in which a person is charged with violating this section are sufficient to prove that the person is responsible for the violation, the owner of the property on which the violation allegedly occurred need not be present at a court proceeding regarding the case.

(f) Penalty.-

(1) A person who violates this section is subject to the penalties provided in this subsection.

(2) (i) A person who disposes of litter in violation of this section in an amount not exceeding 100 pounds or 27 cubic feet and not for commercial gain is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 30 days or a fine not exceeding $1,500 or both.

(ii) A person who disposes of litter in violation of this section in an amount exceeding 100 pounds or 27 cubic feet, but not exceeding 500 pounds or 216 cubic feet, and not for commercial gain is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 1 year or a fine not exceeding $12,500 or both.

(iii) A person who disposes of litter in violation of this section in an amount exceeding 500 pounds or 216 cubic feet or in any amount for commercial gain is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 5 years or a fine not exceeding $30,000 or both.

(3) In addition to the penalties provided under paragraph (2) of this subsection, a court may order the violator to:

(i) remove or render harmless the litter disposed of in violation of this section;

(ii) repair or restore any property damaged by, or pay damages for, the disposal of the litter in violation of this section;

(iii) perform public service relating to the removal of litter disposed of in violation of this section or to the restoration of an area polluted by litter disposed of in violation of this section; or

(iv) reimburse the State, county, municipal corporation, or bi-county unit for its costs incurred in removing the litter disposed of in violation of this section.

(4) In addition to, or instead of, the penalties provided in paragraphs (2) and (3) of this subsection, the court may suspend for up to 7 days the license of the person to operate the type of conveyance used in the violation who is presumed to be responsible for the violation under subsection (d) of this section.

(g) Enforcement.- A law enforcement unit, officer, or official of the State or a political subdivision of the State, or an enforcement unit, officer, or official of a commission of the State, or a political subdivision of the State, shall enforce compliance with this section.

(h) Receptacles to be provided; notice of provisions.- A unit that supervises State property shall:

(1) establish and maintain receptacles for the disposal of litter at appropriate locations where the public frequents the property;

(2) post signs directing persons to the receptacles and serving notice of the provisions of this section; and

(3) otherwise publicize the availability of litter receptacles and the requirements of this section.

(i) Disposition of fines.-

(1) Fines collected for violations of this section shall be disbursed:

(i) to the county or municipal corporation where the violation occurred; or

(ii) if the bi-county unit is the enforcement unit and the violations occurred on property over which the bi-county unit exercises jurisdiction, to the bi-county unit.

(2) Fines collected shall be used to pay for litter receptacles and posting signs as required by subsection (h) of this section and for other purposes relating to the removal or control of litter.

(j) Authority of local governments.-

(1) The legislative body of a municipal corporation may:

(i) prohibit littering; and

(ii) classify littering as a municipal infraction under Article 23A, § 3(b) of the Code.

(2) The governing body of Prince George's County may adopt an ordinance to prohibit littering under this section and, for violations of the ordinance, may impose criminal penalties and civil penalties that do not exceed the criminal penalties and civil penalties specified in subsection (f)(1) through (3) of this section.

(k) Short title.- This section may be cited as the "Litter Control Law".

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 468(a), (b), (c)(1), (2), (4), (5), (d)-(j); 2002, ch. 26, § 2; 2004, ch. 214.]

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    You can't leave things on public land; it's littering. And you shouldn't leave things on public land because the land is for everyone to use and enjoy. Practically speaking, if you put out a trail cam discretely and take it down after a few weeks or months, no one is going to bother you. If you put it up in an obvious place, someone might take it. If law enforcement officer witnessed you setting up or taking down a trail camera, I suppose you could get a citation.

If the trail cam snaps your picture setting it up, one could get a citation too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom