• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaptPrice

Jul 14, 2019
    Annapolis
    Good chance there will be some rain on opening weekend coming up. It’s my first time hunting “run ‘n gun” with climbing sticks. I have the Lone Wolfs with a hang on stand. Does rain on a tree trunk affect the stand and/or the stick safety? Does it matter what kind of tree it is?

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Beware the slick bark tree trunks if your sticks don’t have “teeth”. Otherwise, use your best judgement. Personally I don’t climb in the pouring rain.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Good chance there will be some rain on opening weekend coming up. It’s my first time hunting “run ‘n gun” with climbing sticks. I have the Lone Wolfs with a hang on stand. Does rain on a tree trunk affect the stand and/or the stick safety? Does it matter what kind of tree it is?
    If they’re already hung, most likely not. The metal ladder rungs will be slick, so be careful climbing. The metal platform will be slick, so be careful as well. Full body safety harness both while climbing and while sitting on stand, ALWAYS.

If you’ll be hanging the sticks/stand the day of, then as said earlier avoid slick barked trees. Ones that look like perfect telephone poles are tempting, but as a climbing tree stand user I can tell you never in the rain, and even when dry I’ve slipped a few times far enuf to startle me a bit. Be safe out there, and good luck.

CaptPrice

Jul 14, 2019
    Annapolis
    If they’re already hung, most likely not. The metal ladder rungs will be slick, so be careful climbing. The metal platform will be slick, so be careful as well. Full body safety harness both while climbing and while sitting on stand, ALWAYS.

If you’ll be hanging the sticks/stand the day of, then as said earlier avoid slick barked trees. Ones that look like perfect telephone poles are tempting, but as a climbing tree stand user I can tell you never in the rain, and even when dry I’ve slipped a few times far enuf to startle me a bit. Be safe out there, and good luck.

Beware the slick bark tree trunks if your sticks don’t have “teeth”. Otherwise, use your best judgement. Personally I don’t climb in the pouring rain.

Thanks for the answers, I appreciate the insight. I’m definitely going to play it safe, I always wear the harness!

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    We have 6 hang on stands and 6 - 1/2" static lines on each tree. I am not messing with the changes of equipment failure or a slip on the ladder.

So you are hanging them everytime out and using the lineman's rope?

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I've used my wolf stand many times in the rain and never felt any slippage. I'd go with your stand rather than the sticks if it's raining. I always wear my safety harness while climbing and pay extra attention to it if it's slippery at all. Hunting the rain can really pay off if you're there when it stops!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom