Unregister from MMCC (Medical Cannabis Commission)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    The straw man is the implied claim that legalisation would lead to the whole place falling apart within 11 months.

No one said said. That's not the argument against legalisation. It's a textbook example of a straw man.
    Ah, I see. It was using sarcasm.

Then, riddle me this: Why exactly is it our government has been reluctant to legalize? Is it due to constituents saying they do NOT want it legal for use by adults?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    It's not sarcasm that makes the straw man. It's erecting a false claim, one never made by your opponent, then debunking it.

You implied that the argument against legalization was that it would lead to something like the collapse of a country. You implied that people are arguing that legalization would quickly produce obvious, unmistakable, undeniable effects, and that nothing of the sort was evident in the Great White North.

Arguments against cannibis are a bit more nuanced. The claimed harms are not so obvious. Among them are medical problems, including newly recognized psychoses and other serious ills.
    Marijuana has long been recognized as being destructive of ambition, of producing complacency, encouraging laziness. Stoners have joked about these effects since the 60s. Memory loss and mental confusion are two more widely acknowleged effects which are bedrocks of stoner humor.

How do you measure the decline of a society? If Canada were falling apart, what would that look like? I can say confidently that Western Civilization has been dissolving more and more rapidly over the past couple of generations, and I fear it's past the point of no return. Is marijuana to blame? Not alone, but extreme hedonism replacing Stoicism is a big feature of our decline. Hedonism and drug use are not only tolerated, they are encouraged and celebrated as some of humanity's loftiest goals. These values really need to be repudiated by any society that expects to survive and pass on its values.

If Canada falls apart, what would that look like? If Europe, Australia, and the United States fell apart, what would that look like? Would birthrates fall far below replacement levels? Would the rule of law be held in contempt? Would young people be taught that their own society is not worth preserving, but actually should be destroyed? Would they be taught that there is no hope for any future, so they might as well surrender to indiscriminate sex and drugs?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I can sum it up pretty quick and easy. If alcohol and tobacco haven't led to the full-on destruction of life as we know it (killing a few 100K Americans a year), I'm not sure how any other recreational drug could.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I'm not saying it would.

I do note that extreme hedonism has gotten much, much worse since tge 60s. Alcohol abuse is not new, but it was always condemned by a society that encouraged Stoicism. Now Stoicism is derided, and binge drinking has apparently reached unprecedented heights.

The Prohibitionists had strong arguments against the social costs of alcohol, and the anti-cannabis school nay have equally valid arguments against marihuana. I honestly don't know. I can't really defend prohibition, but I'm not enthusiastic about either alcohol or marijuana . I don't use either one.

Drug use is not the cause of civilizational collapse, but does accompany it, and probably speeds it along.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Oh, so MSP doesn't have to do NICS checks? Good to know. I guess than we can transfer post-86 machine guns through MSP since MSP doesn't have to deal with the Hughes Amdendment. Even better to know.

Would a NICS check show that a person has a Medical Cannabis Card?

The point, my friend, is that MSP’s procedures and Form 77R are independent of federal law in certain respects, including any state requirement that a card holder be “clean” for 22 months.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    You don't think for half a second that Maryland is going to apply that brave talk to Federal gun laws, do you?

Do you think Maryland is going to defend FFL Dealers who transfer long guns without a form 4473, without a NICS check? When the BATF revokes their Federal Firearms Licences, is Maryland going to tell those dealers, "It's okay. You keep selling guns: we'll defend you from the Feds. The 2nd Amendment is your FFL."

The Feds could swoop in this afternoon and start raiding the Marijuana Dispensaries and locking up the employees and owners. They simply choose not to.

Federal law still governs long gun possession and transfers within Maryland. That's why we fill out 4473s for a single shot .22 Cricket. That's why they run a NICS check for a .410 shotgun.

That's why a Marijuana Patient card will still disqualify you for any long gun, even that Cricket (although a Caregiver card should not).

Maryland is partially nullifying the federal marijuana laws, and the Feds aren't pushing it. That's all that's going on. Maryland is not going to nullify Federal gun laws.

Then why did the General Assembly pass the law? Isn’t the MSP bound to follow Maryland law when addressing Maryland law issues?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Then why did the General Assembly pass the law? Isn’t the MSP bound to follow Maryland law when addressing Maryland law issues?

So, how does MSP rectify 5-118(b)(3)(vi) of the Criminal Law Article with what you posted from 13-3312 of the Health General Article?

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Would a NICS check show that a person has a Medical Cannabis Card?

The point, my friend, is that MSP’s procedures and Form 77R are independent of federal law in certain respects, including any state requirement that a card holder be “clean” for 22 months.

I really don't know what your argument is supposed to be.

You said above that MSP isn't bound by federal laws and I pointed out MSP runs NICS checks - I know cause every handgun I've purchased in MD has a NICS number.

Does MSP do that as a "warm-n-fuzzy" or does it do that cause that's federal law it is following?

If MSP runs NICS checks because that's federal law, then you are wrong to say MSP is not bound by federal law.

Simple logic, my friend.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Handguns still have to go through the NICS check, and they require the same Federal Form 4473. Those wacky Nullifiers in Annapolis can't do anything about that. But Maryland adds the Form 77r and a lot of additional background checks for handgun purchases.

I haven't filled out a Form 77r since September of 2013, and I understand it has changed. Apparently it now has disqualifying questions regarding MMCC Patient cards. This was posted a few months ago in another thread:

For what its worth, I got a letter back from MSP in regards to being a caretaker for someone with a card; My dad was prescribed it for various things. Its actually helped him alot!

Dear Mr Macri;

A medical marijuana caretaker would not be prohibited from purchasing a regulated firearm.

Below is the question on the 77R concerning medical marijuana.

Are you a legal user of cannabis (marijuana) for medical purposes or are you issued a valid medical cannabis patient identification number or a valid medical cannabis patient identification card?

Thank you,

Sergeant Jason Edwards
    Maryland State Police
    Licensing Division
    Firearms Registration Unit

https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=5571815&postcount=39

So the new Form 77r asks
    Are you a legal user of cannabis (marijuana) for medical purposes or are you issued a valid medical cannabis patient identification number or a valid medical cannabis patient identification card?

I assume a "yes" answer will lead to Disapproval. Is Abulg saying it won't? That seems pretty open and shut. Here is solid information, with a cited source.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I know we love our deadhorses here at MDS , but this is pretty much been beaten .

It's illegal .
    Discussion is taking place speculating the probability of getting cought . ( Biggfoot categorically advises not to do illegal things , particularly when I would make you a Prohibited Person separately in itself .)

Further discussion on whether it * Should * be illegal . By all means contact your elected Federal representatives on the subject, and support those advocacy groups that advance your position . But those don't change the current legal realities .

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I really don't know what your argument is supposed to be.

You said above that MSP isn't bound by federal laws and I pointed out MSP runs NICS checks - I know cause every handgun I've purchased in MD has a NICS number.

Does MSP do that as a "warm-n-fuzzy" or does it do that cause that's federal law it is following?

If MSP runs NICS checks because that's federal law, then you are wrong to say MSP is not bound by federal law.

Simple logic, my friend.

Show me where I said that “MSP isn’t bound by federal law”. Read. Think. Understand.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    There were around 13 people that could legally use medical marijuana (grandfathered) under Federal law.

I wonder how they are impacted?

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    It doesn’t have to. I’m studied up, believe me. Like with schooling and all. Like, with some shit in Latin on paper. I promise I’m super duper smart on this.

There’s federal transfer laws, which deal with interstate transactions and such, and there’s Maryland law, which deals with transfers in Maryland. Dealers have to deal with federal and Maryland law. Non-dealers and the MSP doing a transfer have to deal with Maryland law and not federal law.

Uh, right here is where you said MSP doesn't have to follow Maryland law.

But perhaps I'm not all studied up, with schooling and all...

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Basically if you want to use marijuana for medical or recreational use AND exercise your 2a you've got 2 choices...both breaking the law...
    1) Get MJ off "the streets"(which is cheaper and easier now than it's ever been since so many people have access to the dispensaries), and buy guns as normal
    2) Get your green card and hit up the dispensaries at your leisure, but just build 80%s on the down-low.

These are the choices our legislators have dropped on people. It's not much different from the need to bear arms in our state. If you want to bear arms, you've got to do it in violation of state law. When you leave your house you need to decide if getting arrested for a gun possession charge is worse than potentially being a victim of violent crime, and which one is more likely to happen. Gotta love the choices our lawmakers have given the people.

NyamSayin

Oct 10, 2019
    Can your NICS be denied for simply registering for a MMCC but not going through the entire process of actually receiving the card? I simply applied out of curiosity when it was first announced and never went thought with it.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Can your NICS be denied for simply registering for a MMCC but not going through the entire process of actually receiving the card? I simply applied out of curiosity when it was first announced and never went thought with it.

That probably would be determined by your answer to this question:

"Are you a legal user of cannabis (marijuana) for medical purposes or are you issued a valid medical cannabis patient identification number or a valid medical cannabis patient identification card? "

Were you even assigned an id number whether or not you ever got your card or did anything with it? After you applied, what happened? Did they come back and say "Congrats. Here is your information." or did they ask for more stuff that you never provided to complete the process?

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    That probably would be determined by your answer to this question:

"Are you a legal user of cannabis (marijuana) for medical purposes or are you issued a valid medical cannabis patient identification number or a valid medical cannabis patient identification card? "

Were you even assigned an id number whether or not you ever got your card or did anything with it? After you applied, what happened? Did they come back and say "Congrats. Here is your information." or did they ask for more stuff that you never provided to complete the process?

It states a number OR a card so if you were issued a number because you applied " out of curiosity", it likely killed the cat.....whether you got a card or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom