How many preference points for a good chance at MD Bear tag?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mag Dump

May 31, 2017
    Frederick, MD Region
    What has been your experience with regard to how many preference points it is taking before there is a good chance of drawing a MD bear tag?

It would be really handy if I could draw this year and I have 3 points built up. What are my odds roughly?

OLSKOL59

Jun 24, 2018
    I had 1 point the first time, 6 points the 2nd, and 2 the third. Think it's just the luck of the draw,but my bud's say I gotta horseshoe somewhere.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I had 1 point the first time, 6 points the 2nd, and 2 the third. Think it's just the luck of the draw,but my bud's say I gotta horseshoe somewhere.
    You do have some luck. I’ve entered the lottery every single year since it started in 2004, and got drawn ONCE, in 2015. And not since. I spoke in person to Harry Spiker w/DNR (he runs the entire program), he says they think most hunters will get drawn every 4 to 5 years. I told him just how wrong he was, and he was shocked. It seems you have the horseshoe and I have something completely opposite. I met one hunter out in Savage River SF the week before scouting in 2015 that said that was his third consecutive year getting drawn (and funny enuf he lived less than 1 mile from me in Carroll County). Best of luck to all that enter.

shocka04

Jan 17, 2012
    Calvert County
    If you live in one the of the counties, you do have a better chance but there is still luck involved. It took me about 10 years also to get one. I've also heard of others that have never gotten one. Then once you get drawn, then comes the luck of actually seeing a bear which may be just as hard. We didn't see any when we went and we were there for the whole week moving to different spots every day. If you don't get one the first day or two, your chances drop again.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Congrats to those that got picked. Came up empty. Again. Since it began in 2004, all 16 years I’ve entered, got drawn once (in 2015 - took 12 years to do so). DNR claims with the preference point system you should be picked every 3 or 4 years. My a*s. I think this year was my last entry in this charade.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Congrats to those that got picked. Came up empty. Again. Since it began in 2004, all 16 years I’ve entered, got drawn once (in 2015 - took 12 years to do so). DNR claims with the preference point system you should be picked every 3 or 4 years. My a*s. I think this year was my last entry in this charade.

Rodger that. I think their definition of preference point is not the same as ours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom