• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I've had this ppk (7.65) for many yrs now and shot it several times before doing some digging into what and when. The first thing I found out was the crown over N proofmark meant it was pre-WWII. The second thing I find out was the box of Remington Kleanbore ammo my Grandfather had in the cigar box probably should have been held onto as collectible instead of target practice. Then I find out the old 1 piece grips are prone to cracking and really, really expensive so I haven't shot it in close to 15 yrs. Just this yr I found a database on a Walther owners forum that gave me a manufacture date of 1935. Off and on I looked into replacement grips and I finally got a set this yr and replaced them today. Once the grips were off I found the #73 stamped into the grip frame.
    So my question now is What does this number mean? Other than a serial number there were no other numbers anywhere else until I pulled the grips.
    Also does anyone know if this is a ppk holster? The ones I've seen on the web have the mag holder on the front not the side like this one.

Attachments

• IMG_20171118_095707_hdr.jpg
      IMG_20171118_095707_hdr.jpg
      66.2 KB · Views: 202
    • IMG_20171118_095950_hdr.jpg
      IMG_20171118_095950_hdr.jpg
      58.3 KB · Views: 200
    • IMG_20171118_100041_hdr.jpg
      IMG_20171118_100041_hdr.jpg
      67.1 KB · Views: 199

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Interesting. Curious, as you describe it your walther is almost exactly like mine, in age, proofs, markings. I don't have any other number stamping that I have found.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Interesting. Curious, as you describe it your walther is almost exactly like mine, in age, proofs, markings. I don't have any other number stamping that I have found.

If I had not removed the gripsI wouldn't have found it. :shrug: I'm hoping some of the collectors here would be able to shed SOE information.

Jul 1, 2012
    I don't collect PP/PPK but random numbers and geometric shapes show up on the grip frame and other parts of Walther P.38's.

Yours has the early "90 degree" safety, which is desirable.

The world experts on the PP/PPK hang out on the P38&PP/PPK forum so you may find out more interesting info about your pistol.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Ask here; http://p38forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Someone on the P38 Forum will know. Let us know what you find out.
    You will probably have to join, no cost and no spam.

I don't collect PP/PPK but random numbers and geometric shapes show up on the grip frame and other parts of Walther P.38's.

Yours has the early "90 degree" safety, which is desirable.

The world experts on the PP/PPK hang out on the P38&PP/PPK forum so you may find out more interesting info about your pistol.

Thanks guys, I just registered over there so once they activate my acct I'll pose questions there. If I find anything out I'll update here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom