• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Seems like a good place to ask this.
    I have a gen1 with the unsupported chamber. In its life I had one case rupture that blew out rhe magazine otherwise there was no damage. I recently bought a Glock 43 for carry and it looks Like it's fully supported. Did Glock fix that problem in later generations.
    I think you ought to sell me that poorly designed gen 1.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I have a gen1 with the unsupported chamber. In its life I had one case rupture that blew out rhe magazine otherwise there was no damage. I recently bought a Glock 43 for carry and it looks Like it's fully supported. Did Glock fix that problem in later generations.

Yes, it's the infamous Glocknade, though it was generally an issue with Gen 2 .40s.

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    MSP Handgun Roster board mtg. Held today

I notice that MSP handgun roster board had its meeting today, and Glock 19gen 5 was on the agenda.
    Does anyone know how long after the meeting the decision is made to add a new gun to the approved roster?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

I know 3rd gen chambers have better support than earlier models. Haven't seen a "smiley" in GLOCK brass for more than a decade. I reload brass from all my GLOCKs, including my 10 and 40 models, the brass doesn't bulge from reasonable loads, or measure much different than any other pistol.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    ***Disclaimer: I am not a Glock fanboy***

I do own a G19 Gen 4. I am not particularly fond of it. I did replace the trigger with a flat face Apex, but went back to stock with the trigger bar of the aftermarket trigger.
    I did add Trijicon HD sights. I don't shoot it particularly well, compared to my M&P pistols. Just ask the guys at the Delta Steel Shoots. lol

That said, to me, the Gen 5 has much better ergonomics. I like the stock trigger of the Gen 5 much, much better than the 4 and the slide & grip feel slimmer and fit my hand better. The Glock 5 has a match barrel, too. If I did not have a Glock and was curious, I would buy a 5, not 4. Would I run out and get a Gen 4 to replace a Gen 5, probably not.

Rob1035

Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    Long time Glock guy, had all flavors of Gen 2 & 3. Rented a Gen 5 recently, won't be buying one. The grip is great, trigger is meh, and ambi slide lever is a deal-break for me as a lefty. Gen 4 it is!

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I guess if you really want to get a gen5 as a replacement that's what you should do. Since you said replace and not add you will most likely lose money on a trade in or resale. I would keep the MOS and sell or trade the standard g19. I'm happy with my gen3 G22 and just bought a gen3 G20SF that I'm waiting on a MSP not disapproved email to pick up. I have a few thousand rounds out of the G22 g3 and see no need to upgrade to g4. I'm not a big 9mm guy so maybe that's why I'm not getting to excited about the Gen5 yet (I do have an XD9) But if that is your goto round and you want a Gen5 I say Get It. And by all means give us a detailed review when you do. :)

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    I picked up and handled a gen 5 last weekend just for giggles. I have a 19, although I can't remember if it is a 3 or 4. I didn't like the feel. The magazine cut out doesn't really bother me too much (tiny hands!) But I didn't like how the magazine fit up in there and you had to use that notch to pull it. Although I seem to be in the minority here and like my finger grooves. That might just be because they are spaced right for me.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I think you ought to sell me that poorly designed gen 1.

Funny, I have the original box with the manufactures award, red white and blue. Otherwise a great pistol. I carried it on Search and Rescue in California to reduce weight. In 85 drug patches were common with boobie traps. We had yearly classes at Barstow. If I needed more than 51 rounds it was time for the Calvary to come over the hill. I made a very light package. Here they are in demand.

Fnh57

Sep 30, 2017
    Baltimore area.
    Accuracy

Who has complained about the accuracy of a Glock in a prior generation? It's at least as accurate as any other service pistol out there going back to Gen 1. I can't imagine accuracy would be a strong reason to buy one for most folks. Trigger improvements, lack of finger grooves, and just the general "coolness" of having the latest gun would play more into differences with prior generations.

I was not saying the gen4 was not accurate. They claim the gen 5 barrel makes better groupings due to the design and better seal overall so maybe slightly higher muzzle velocity. This may be a reason to consider an upgrade.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Funny, I have the original box with the manufactures award, red white and blue. Otherwise a great pistol. I carried it on Search and Rescue in California to reduce weight. In 85 drug patches were common with boobie traps. We had yearly classes at Barstow. If I needed more than 51 rounds it was time for the Calvary to come over the hill. I made a very light package. Here they are in demand.
    I have one, same box like brand new, but I'd always take another.

Buckeye_Nut

Jun 15, 2017
    Waldorf
    Good old Brass to Face (BTF). Good memories! My Glock 17 Gen4 stopped attacking me after about 300 rounds down range. Did it with any ammo I tried and then it just stopped with all ammo I tried.

DaytonaGreg

Apr 14, 2014
    Severn, MD
    I'm a noob. I didn't realize there was an "approved" list of handguns in MD. I thought it sort of went the other way with a list of "banned" guns, or maybe that's just "rifles". Are there any MD court cases working their way up to the SCOTUS challenging concealed carry? From what I've read it seems MD has effectively banned/"infringed" CC. [I apologize in advance if I violated any forum posting rules.] I am just now getting serious about getting a handgun (Glock 19) & AR rifle (S&W M&P 15 Sport II)

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I'm a noob. I didn't realize there was an "approved" list of handguns in MD. I thought it sort of went the other way with a list of "banned" guns, or maybe that's just "rifles". Are there any MD court cases working their way up to the SCOTUS challenging concealed carry? From what I've read it seems MD has effectively banned/"infringed" CC. [I apologize in advance if I violated any forum posting rules.] I am just now getting serious about getting a handgun (Glock 19) & AR rifle (S&W M&P 15 Sport II)

Maryland has a "Handgun review board" which approves new or ones that have some amount of changes to a previously approved one. There is a list of banned "assault " rifles. You need a HQL to purchase a handgun in the state. MD is a may issue state. Which means it's very difficult to get a concealed weapons permit.
    Most ask you to introduce yourself in the "Introductions " forum as a courtesy. You've lurked long enough. Welcome.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Glock is playing the corporate upgrade game. They released the Gen 5 with that stupid notch, just so they could make people pissed-off enough to have to purchase the Gen 6 without, while they make "improvements."

I see the same corporate crap with Samsung doing things like releasing a Galaxy S8 with a dumb finger reader right next to the camera. Just enough to brag in advertising about the functionality, but give you a reason to dislike it, and want the next upgrade.

I am a firm believer that R&D doesn't miss these things too often -- the upgrade paths are planned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom