• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cookie_Crispp

Jul 24, 2016
    First time poster, long time lurker. I am here seeking some quasi-legal advice and hoping for a little support. I am remaining vague on my posting.

I, recently had a HPRB hearing in which a decision was reached, however I have not received any written notification, and it has been a considerable amount of time since that meeting (over a month ago). Looking through the COMAR and Maryland unannotated codes, I have reached the conclusion that:
    - There is no legal time frame for the written decision (the closest I can find is the 90 days to schedule a hearing)
    - There have been at least three HPRB meetings since that meeting

Obviously, I find this laughably sad, as the lack of a response in a timely fashion is problematic, and I am wondering what my options are. I am looking for some advice, as this whole justice delayed is justice denied is killing me. Likewise, I was already expecting a long wait from the MDSP regarding permits, but having it occur from the HPRB feels even worse.

Thanks in advance.
    - CookieCrispp

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Welcome to the board, you might want to do an introduction in the intro section.

As for your question, at the last meeting, the Chairman stated that he did not everyone there to read over the past decisions to get the letters out and he planned on doing that at the next meeting. If you have the time, the next meeting is Aug 2, come on out and watch and then ask the chairman at the end about your letter.

Cookie_Crispp

Jul 24, 2016
    This information is good to know, however disheartening it actually is. I find it somewhat perturbing that this issue could occur over at least three board meetings in a row. As for your advice, I cannot make this next meeting due to personal matters, however the advice and thoughts are appreciated. I'll see what develops following that meeting and, if push comes to shove, can attempt to make it to the second meeting in August.

I cannot find any information on the exact timing that the MDSP should have to follow pending their receipt of the board's findings, if anyone has the SOPs/laws regarding MDSP timetables, I'd love that.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Search is your friend. This issue has been discussed at length in other HPRB threads over the last 6 months.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    This information is good to know, however disheartening it actually is. I find it somewhat perturbing that this issue could occur over at least three board meetings in a row. As for your advice, I cannot make this next meeting due to personal matters, however the advice and thoughts are appreciated. I'll see what develops following that meeting and, if push comes to shove, can attempt to make it to the second meeting in August.

I cannot find any information on the exact timing that the MDSP should have to follow pending their receipt of the board's findings, if anyone has the SOPs/laws regarding MDSP timetables, I'd love that.

Well, since you were vague and didn't provide an actual date of your hearing we can only GUESS at when it was and then only GUESS and what is going on based on the information that the chairman provides at every meeting with regards to the status of the previous meeting, the hearings and the status of letters to the MSP. Perhaps if you provided a better timeframe, we wouldn't have to GUESS and might be able to help you further.

I don't mean to come across as rude, but you asked a question with very little information and are disappointed in the answer. I understand you are new to the board and are reluctant to provide too much information, but "over a month ago" could mean many things and your letter could very well have been approved and sent to MSP, but without a timeframe we have no clue and again, are GUESSING at what is going on.

My other suggestion is to call the DPSC at the number on their webpage for the HPRB and ask what the status is.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Use the contact information on the HPRB website, and contact their admin and ask for a status update.

Several thing need to happen with the HPRB decisions.
    -first is a vote
    -then a legal letter is drafted
    -then the board must vote again to adopt the letter
    -then the letter must be sent to MSP
    -then MSP must decide to either abide by the HPRB decision, or challenge it via judicial review in court

This is all predicated on DPSCS and MSP not losing files and documents, which seems to happen with some regularity.

Getting an answer from the dpscs/hprb admin will tell you what action to take next.

Cookie_Crispp

Jul 24, 2016
    Well, since you were vague and didn't provide an actual date of your hearing we can only GUESS at when it was and then only GUESS and what is going on based on the information that the chairman provides at every meeting with regards to the status of the previous meeting, the hearings and the status of letters to the MSP. Perhaps if you provided a better timeframe, we wouldn't have to GUESS and might be able to help you further.

I don't mean to come across as rude, but you asked a question with very little information and are disappointed in the answer. I understand you are new to the board and are reluctant to provide too much information, but "over a month ago" could mean many things and your letter could very well have been approved and sent to MSP, but without a timeframe we have no clue and again, are GUESSING at what is going on.

My other suggestion is to call the DPSC at the number on their webpage for the HPRB and ask what the status is.

No, you didn't come across as rude. I have left my post vague, so asking too much is on me. I figured that the timetable I provided was fairly specific, however I do appreciate the input.

Having conversed with the admin over email, I believe that I am (based on information posted here) looking at a time frame post August 2 meeting after the board can address the letters. A large part of why I have asked this is due to the lack of information that has been posted from the last few meeting threads (to be honest I assumed that the meeting following mine would have involved the letter, but it was the one many people missed), which is also somewhat on me as I have not been able to attend (due to other commitments).

I was also unaware (due to the lack of published SOPs) that the HPRB only deals with letters at meetings, which solidifies my timetable. I do appreciate the help, and I apologize for any annoyance my deliberate vagueness has caused.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    No, you didn't come across as rude. I have left my post vague, so asking too much is on me. I figured that the timetable I provided was fairly specific, however I do appreciate the input.

Having conversed with the admin over email, I believe that I am (based on information posted here) looking at a time frame post August 2 meeting after the board can address the letters. A large part of why I have asked this is due to the lack of information that has been posted from the last few meeting threads (to be honest I assumed that the meeting following mine would have involved the letter, but it was the one many people missed), which is also somewhat on me as I have not been able to attend (due to other commitments).

I was also unaware (due to the lack of published SOPs) that the HPRB only deals with letters at meetings, which solidifies my timetable. I do appreciate the help, and I apologize for any annoyance my deliberate vagueness has caused.

From what I've seen, the lack of info in the last few meeting threads is a result of a lot of no-shows and closed door activity.

Remember, there is nothing official about these threads. Members post experiences, results and opinions.

For the real word on what's going on with your application, the DPSCS is your source and it looks like you've done the right thing.

eachurch1972

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 27, 2015
    Communist Republic
    From what I have read and heard, it seems that the State of Md just can't seem to get it together. They should "beg" the State of VA to show them how to properly process applications. MSP would fall off of their chairs when they witness how VA troopers can have permits in residents hands in 2-3 weeks flat! Come on, there is no good, valid reason for 90+ days other than they simply want to drag their feet...

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    From what I have read and heard, it seems that the State of Md just can't seem to get it together. They should "beg" the State of VA to show them how to properly process applications. MSP would fall off of their chairs when they witness how VA troopers can have permits in residents hands in 2-3 weeks flat! Come on, there is no good, valid reason for 90+ days other than they simply want to drag their feet...

MSP doesn't need a "valid" reason and - they DO want to drag their feet ...

wolfdad

Older Shootin' Geek
    Mar 2, 2011
    Earth, I think..........
    HPRB

Perhaps I can help here. I appeared before the Maryland HPRB on 19 September 2017. The board unanimously overturned the MSP decision 5-0 and agreed on an unrestricted CCW permit and I have yet to hear from the board regarding that decision. I am now 385 days since my original application (all done by certified mail) and almost 60 days past the HPRB appearance. I have spoken via email with Ms. Samiyah Hassan and her response was that the board attempts to get responses out within 60 days (pretty screwed up in my opinion, but this is Maryland....I have to remember that). Monday, 20 November 2017 is the precise 60 day point and I plan to go in with a certified letter to Mr. Bob Wilson, the chairman of the HPRB for status.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom