• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    "The Ghost Gunner is programmed to mill the lower receiver of an AR-15 type rifle — the key section that holds the weapon's moving parts, such as the trigger, firing pin and magazine. "

Hrm. What do they teach journalists anyway?

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    This is just another tool. You have the right to make your own gun, what tool you use is irrelevant. A ban on this is no different than banning drill presses and files because you can make a gun with them.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    This is just another tool. You have the right to make your own gun, what tool you use is irrelevant. A ban on this is no different than banning drill presses and files because you can make a gun with them.

Take a look at the proposed legislation to out law private manufacturing of firearms.. leave aside how to enforce it for now. Google atf shoe string letter. Now I ask how will we counter it..

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    The product is kinda lame really. It only finishes a 80% receiver. It does NOT turn a piece of flat stock aluminum into a receiver. Seriously? Guys do this with little more than a hand drill and a dremel with some surprising results.

How many lowers are you going to mill? I mean 80% lowers generally hang around the $70-80 dollar mark. I have seen them as low as $40. New completed Andersons sell for $100.

That means even if you buy all your receivers at $40 you would have to produce 30 of them to see a return on investment. It just doesn't make sense. Especially when you consider there are jigs available to mill the 80% receiver for as little $200.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Thats why its version 1.0.

What did your first PC cost.

Cell phone. ?

The anti crowd knows this as well.

The more public this becomes the more likely we will see legislation..

A ban on the sale of 80% lowers is also on tap.

We need to think about how to fight it..

I wish I had a simple fix...i do not.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

My thought as well. Hell, if you don't build 51% of your airplane it can't be registered as home built. Damn, I would love 80% built kits for airplanes..

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    A regular programmable mill can be had for about $2500. With it you can do more than just lowers. While this is an OK idea, it's a one trick pony.

They're somewhere in the middle:

Ghost Gunner is capable of manufacturing more than just firearm receivers. With Defense Distributed's open source Physibles Development SDK (pDev), designers can distribute files via our '.dd' file format, which contains all installation and assembly instructions, any required jig files to hold the part in place (that users can print with a 3D printer), and all machine definitions and code to physically manufacture a particular design.

To a casual user, the .dd file is a one-stop solution to manufacturing any aluminum physible that the public can design to fit into the build envelope. Defense Distributed will be developing in and supporting this format, and we are happy to publish your own innovations and contributions.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Thats why its version 1.0.

What did your first PC cost.

Cell phone. ?

The anti crowd knows this as well.

The more public this becomes the more likely we will see legislation..

We need to think about how to fight it..

I wish I had a simple fix...i do not.

+1....how quickly folks forget....my first IBM PC was $5000+ with no hard drive and a green monitor....my Apple II that preceded that was $2500 and only had an upper case keyboard......

The anti's know that....I'm sure they are looking at 3d printing as well, especially since Staples announced they are going to start offering that as a service...it's not going to be too long before we see some seriously strong carbon fiber like plastic 'inks' for those and 3d printing of guns will be just like the Saturday Night Specials of old that started all the silly gun nonsense...

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    +1....how quickly folks forget....my first IBM PC was $5000+ with no hard drive and a green monitor....my Apple II that preceded that was $2500 and only had an upper case keyboard......

The anti's know that....I'm sure they are looking at 3d printing as well, especially since Staples announced they are going to start offering that as a service...it's not going to be too long before we see some seriously strong carbon fiber like plastic 'inks' for those and 3d printing of guns will be just like the Saturday Night Specials of old that started all the silly gun nonsense...

CF already exists in a 3d printer. Metal sintering already exists in 3d printers.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    CF already exists in a 3d printer. Metal sintering already exists in 3d printers.

I thought it might but wasn't sure...I'm sure it won't be long before you can economically "print" a strong, reliable firearm in the comfort of your own home....

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    It is a matter of time before barrels become the regulated component in a firearm...

i would agree with this. isn't the arguement of having "registered" guns to be able to solve crime, ie if we find a fired round/shell casing at a crime scene we can look through the "database" and find whose gun did the shooting?

with a regulated lower reciever, you cannot tell anything, not even the caliber that was used. same thing with all guns.

this is why the registered BS is a lie, it doesn't help with jack. if you change the firing pin and the barrel on a handgun, a shell casing from the same registered pistol does not match the one on MDPS's file.

further proof that registration is not a crime deturrent, but a list to keep for the day when they feel like they can take our guns away. But you have the F***ing stupid general public who thinks that if all guns are registered you would be able to know what gun fired every bullet ever found, and we could solve all the crimes. oh... lets ask the 12 thousand people murdered with a gun last year... nope doesn't stop the crime.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    i would agree with this. isn't the arguement of having "registered" guns to be able to solve crime, ie if we find a fired round/shell casing at a crime scene we can look through the "database" and find whose gun did the shooting?

with a regulated lower reciever, you cannot tell anything, not even the caliber that was used. same thing with all guns.

this is why the registered BS is a lie, it doesn't help with jack. if you change the firing pin and the barrel on a handgun, a shell casing from the same registered pistol does not match the one on MDPS's file.

further proof that registration is not a crime deturrent, but a list to keep for the day when they feel like they can take our guns away. But you have the F***ing stupid general public who thinks that if all guns are registered you would be able to know what gun fired every bullet ever found, and we could solve all the crimes. oh... lets ask the 12 thousand people murdered with a gun last year... nope doesn't stop the crime.

Any reason we need to be their research arm?

And balistics are fungable anyway. But this time let's make them do the work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom