• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3fingeredWU

Oct 3, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    WASHINGTON - A visit to a shooting range has turned deadly.

The Charles County Sheriff's Office says Patrick Richards, 61, of Hughesville died at the St. Charles Sportsman's Club in Waldorf, Md.

They believe the gun accidentally went off. The bullet hit him in the upper part of his body.

Anyone have any more on this?

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    TO PjDiesel

I was gonna send you a msg here that said....Yeah....bet Patrick thinks so...errr..thought so.... but...that would be...kinda insensitive....

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    BUT... ( on a more serious level ) it really does show that you cannot be too safe...the guy was 61...who knows how long he was around gunscould have been 30-40+ years....

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    BUT... ( on a more serious level ) it really does show that you cannot be too safe...the guy was 61...who knows how long he was around gunscould have been 30-40+ years....

I was just more commenting on the accidentally "went off" part.

There is a line of thinking nowadays in insurance, there are no "accidents", things happen for a reason. (and,...not in a spiritual sense).

Could be a 21 year old handling his first handgun or a 60something with 40 years of experience (as stated).

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    "They believe it accidentally went off" and they were elected sheriff, yikes !!

I believe it's up to the medical examiner to determine the cause of death, and up to the homicide unit to determine the reason for the death... first responders can't jump to conclusions.

This is why Nidal Hassan is referres to as the "alleged" Ft. Hood shooter.

I work with guys who are RSOs at that club... so I should be able to get the scoop. It's a shame that this happened... it must be a reminder to handle your firearm as if it's loaded at all times, and to never allow the muzzle to cover anything you do not not wish to kill or destroy... :sad20:

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    RIP Patrick Richards.
    PLEASE be safe out there people, accidents can happen in a split second of carelessness and I can't stress enough how important it is to always follow basic gun safety procedures.

NRA-Benefactor

Defend Freedom
    Feb 4, 2013
    Calvert County
    I'm a member of the club. We still do not know how it happened. He was a very well known member of the club and used the range 3-4 times a month.

The only thing I was told is that he had just got the gun back from being repaired. Don't know if this was related or not.

This is a grimm reminder that we can not be too safe...

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    I'm a member of the club. We still do not know how it happened. He was a very well known member of the club and used the range 3-4 times a month.

The only thing I was told is that he had just got the gun back from being repaired. Don't know if this was related or not.

This is a grimm reminder that we can not be too safe...

Any info on what type of handgun it was? I'm glad he was a frequent visitor to the gun range. When I first heard about this on the news and the guys age I was hoping it wasn't a 60+ guy who bought his first handgun in response to these new laws being proposed and ended up shooting himself.

Not that this is any better, but if the gun was just repaired he could have been trying to clear a jam and the round went off. I've seen some very insensitive posts on News websites that basically said he would still be alive if he had proper training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom