Is It Worth Getting Another Rimfire Can?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So here's the background; back in 2016 I bought a 22 can and there was slim pickings at the time as this was the last chance to get a can w/o the photo and fingerprints. I ended up getting a CGS Hydra-AL (aluminum tube and baffles). It's ok, the best thing about it is it's really light and a good match for a 22LR pistol. To my ears, the Hydra makes a noticeable difference on a handgun; but not so much on a semi auto 10/22. Have not tried it on a bolt gun.

If I were to get a beefier rimfire can, one more for a rifle, and that would also handle magnum rimfire, what do you guys like? Is it even worth it other than for a magnum? Will I hear any difference in sound suppression on a semi-auto?

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    It might make a difference if you buy the mods to let your 10/22 run subs reliably (Firefly style bolt, etc), that would probably do a lot more. That with an integrally suppressed barrel would be pretty sweet.

Otherwise, go for it, though I'm not sure it'll make a huge difference without knowing where the noise is coming from. Standard recommendations are Rugged Oculus and Dead Air Mask, though they seem to be perpetually backordered on Silencershop. I hear good things about the TACSOL Axiom though. My full auto/magnum/5.7 rated rimfire can is the Mac Bros Vapor. I got it over the more popular brands because it was on a steep sale, and it does fine.

Last edited:

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have a Q El Camino. I love mine. Makes my 10/22 extremely quiet with Remington subsonic rounds. And it cycles them reliably. It is unbelievably quiet with CCI quiet loads but you have to hand cycle those ones.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Rugged Oculus. I shot that and a mask when I was deciding and have been thrilled with mine. I'd hate to have to clean an aluminum can that shoots a bunch of 22.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    You will get a lot of opinions. Here's another. I have been collecting stamps for years. Buy once, cry once. Stay away from aluminum 22 cans. It's gotten to the point where most GOOD cans are within a decibel or 2 or each other. Cheap cans are just that, cheap cans. Stick with the major players. Monocores seem to have a louder FRP than baffled cans and are harder to clean. I love integrals, they are just plain cool and stupid quiet.

Ammo is another big consideration. I wont shoot garbage 22 thought any cans. CCI standard, Gemtech, CCI subs. ETC. I don't like CCI quiets simply due to the fact they wont cycle a paper bag. A can (even a lowly 22 can) is basically a life time purchase. don't feed it crap. I wont shoot any Rem 22 through any of my 22. Dirty as hell.
    My go to's are Gemtech ammo (although CCI standard is really decent) and a specter II. Mask, Occulas, Minute Man, El Camino.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    It might make a difference if you buy the mods to let your 10/22 run subs reliably (Firefly style bolt, etc), that would probably do a lot more. That with an integrally suppressed barrel would be pretty sweet.

Otherwise, go for it, though I'm not sure it'll make a huge difference without knowing where the noise is coming from. Standard recommendations are Rugged Oculus and Dead Air Mask, though they seem to be perpetually backordered on Silencershop. I hear good things about the TACSOL Axiom though. My full auto/magnum/5.7 rated rimfire can is the Mac Bros Vapor. I got it over the more popular brands because it was on a steep sale, and it does fine.

Don’t need mods to make subs run reliably in a 10/22, just the right ammo. CCI Quiet in NOT that ammo.
    I run Gemtech subs or RWS subs in my 10/22 with a Silencerco Sparrow on the end and it runs flawlessly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    So here's the background; back in 2016 I bought a 22 can and there was slim pickings at the time as this was the last chance to get a can w/o the photo and fingerprints. I ended up getting a CGS Hydra-AL (aluminum tube and baffles). It's ok, the best thing about it is it's really light and a good match for a 22LR pistol. To my ears, the Hydra makes a noticeable difference on a handgun; but not so much on a semi auto 10/22. Have not tried it on a bolt gun.

If I were to get a beefier rimfire can, one more for a rifle, and that would also handle magnum rimfire, what do you guys like? Is it even worth it other than for a magnum? Will I hear any difference in sound suppression on a semi-auto?

The typical 22lr pistol/HV ammo combination is unlikely to create a supersonic velocity. The difference you are hearing is likely the difference between supersonic and subsonic velocities. No suppressor can suppress the sonic boom of supersonic ammo, which is why many are recommending subsonic ammo.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Aluminum is light, but sucks to clean, with subs it should be pretty quiet out of a rifle, the loudest thing on semis is the bolt, still well within hearing safe limits. Waiting on a Mask HD in NFA jail , but have shot one, and it's good, have an Optimus now that is fun, but huge on rimfire stuff. All the top cans perform well, the differences are in size/weight, and things like modularity, where they can be configured different ways. Have a couple 10/22s, dedicated 22 AR, and a few pistols, they ALL cycle CCI standard velocity and subs well.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    You will get a lot of opinions. Here's another. I have been collecting stamps for years. Buy once, cry once. Stay away from aluminum 22 cans.

It's all they had at the time, o/w I would have gotten the stainless model. Good lesson for the future buyer.

[EDIT] I definitely agree!

Last edited:

mattsomer

Nov 14, 2010
    I have a bunch of different 22 cans. The Silencerco Sparrow is my favorite.

Super quite , lite , short ,and pretty. (Just like I like my women).

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Just to circle back to the original question: regardless of whether or not it makes the OP's firearms any quieter, I definitely think getting a sturdier 22 can with quality stainless steel or titanium baffles is worth the OP's time and money eventually.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You will get a lot of opinions. Here's another. I have been collecting stamps for years. Buy once, cry once. Stay away from aluminum 22 cans. It's gotten to the point where most GOOD cans are within a decibel or 2 or each other. Cheap cans are just that, cheap cans. Stick with the major players. Monocores seem to have a louder FRP than baffled cans and are harder to clean. I love integrals, they are just plain cool and stupid quiet.

Ammo is another big consideration. I wont shoot garbage 22 thought any cans. CCI standard, Gemtech, CCI subs. ETC. I don't like CCI quiets simply due to the fact they wont cycle a paper bag. A can (even a lowly 22 can) is basically a life time purchase. don't feed it crap. I wont shoot any Rem 22 through any of my 22. Dirty as hell.
    My go to's are Gemtech ammo (although CCI standard is really decent) and a specter II. Mask, Occulas, Minute Man, El Camino.

Actually, 22 segmented quiets cycle my 10/22 about 1 in 30 shots. quiet semi-autos so far have cycled my 10/22 about 99 out of 100 (I've only had 1 fail to cycle my 10/22 out of around 100-120 rounds I've put through it). The semi-auto quiets are noticeably louder than the segmented quiets. Though still quieter than regular subsonic 22lr.

I don't have possession of my can yet though. Another 3-6 months most likely. That impression might change then, but I doubt semi-auto quiets are suddenly going to stop cycling my 10/22 with a can on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom