• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    LOL!

Gas journal or just journal(I say gas as a hint to what it is...:)) is the part of the barrel where the gas block mounts. Standard medium to Hbar journals are .75".

OK, that is what I thought it ment. But the one I got says its .750 which is what I almost always buy

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OK, that is what I thought it ment. But the one I got says its .750 which is what I almost always buy
    Is it the Match(but not Ultramatch) barrel?
    I would go for it if you can find one in stock.

I bought one in .223 Wylde a few years back. Haven't put it on anything yet though.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Select.
    I'm looking for a plinking quality barrel for the SBR. I want to primarily shoot offhand @ 100 yards at steel with my Powder Coated cast bullets.
    I won't expect great accuracy out of it. 2MOA will be satisfactory. What I'm getting with the Hardly Arms upper is like 6MOA unless I go light and fast bullets.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Select.
    I'm looking for a plinking quality barrel for the SBR. I want to primarily shoot offhand @ 100 yards at steel with my Powder Coated cast bullets.
    I won't expect great accuracy out of it. 2MOA will be satisfactory. What I'm getting with the Hardly Arms upper is like 6MOA unless I go light and fast bullets.

Hard to beat Criterion barrels. A little pricey, but worth it. You'll get MOA or less all day with them.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Yes
    I have a Criterion 223 Wylde barrel and when I do my job it’s sub MOA with my reloads. Don’t need that for this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Select.

Try some Hornady 208 gr ELDs over some 1680 if you can. That will give you a better idea of what that barrel will be capable of.

We'll await your results. :thumbsup:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Try some Hornady 208 gr ELDs over some 1680 if you can. That will give you a better idea of what that barrel will be capable of.

We'll await your results. :thumbsup:

Thx for suggestions, I don't have any 1680 and Basspro was out when I went to pick up my ship to store H110
    All I have that might work is H110, 4227 and trail boss.
    I do have some TomKat Subs which I think use the ELD bullets so I'll try those first. I'd like to be able to get 2MOA if possible with the 180g PC bullets I have or the 230 Powder coated casted Lee bullets I have. I'd even settle for 3moa.
    I'm hoping suppressed with the pistol gas I can cycle 170 or 180g bullets subsonic. I will find out.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    If that barrel is torqued on that hard, probably why it's so inaccurate. If the hot water doesn't work, you can cut the nut off with a dremel. Just be careful wrenching it off.

About the barrels, Their best barrel used to be called Ultramatch. Mine looks just like what they now call "Match 300AAC Blackout Pistol Barrel" I think I paid around $340 for it 3-4 years ago. https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-match-300aac-blackout-pistol-barrel-main/
    OOS
    This is what I used in my friends build. The "Ultramatch Mod-2..." https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier...ackout-800-gas-block-tin-extension-8-5-satin/
    As far as I can tell, they are no longer making this barrel in 10.5" anymore. I'm not sure why.

It's weird(maybe not so weird) that their good barrels are OOS. The paranoia in me thinks they might be changing again? Either way, I would talk you out of the newer barrel because of the .80 gas journal. They're the only ones making(I think Superlative makes them) the gas blocks for them and they have been out of the adjustable GB for a while.

And that is why I went with a Faxon Match 10.5 barrel

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    So that boasts of having a "bleed off" design. Have you tired one of these kind of gas blocks?
    [EDIT] Or is that just marketing talk?

I have a Superlative Arms AGB (.750), and after tinkering with it for a while, have it set to restricted mode.

Even when I had it in full bleed off, i still considered it slightly overgassed. I could not get the rifle to fail or not hold the bolt open in full bleed off (without a supressor).

Perhaps the barrel has something to do with it...it's a 16 inch carbine length gas HBAR by DEZ. Barrel is more accurate than I am...I have not measured the gas port.

There is a detailed report on Youtube, which concluded that at optimal venting, you lost about 50fps as compared to it's neutral position, and gained a few fps when using it in restricted mode.

The kicker is, though, that at optimal venting with a suppressor, it substantially lowered the decibel reading at the shooters ear. This is really the only use case I can think of, but I couldn't get to that point with my set up even without running my suppressor.

I took that barrel off and put it on my fiance's rifle, so I've put it in restricted mode to make it a nice soft shooter for her. I've had zero failures with this set up over a few thousand rounds and never had it seize up on me. I'd trust it if I needed it, but have decided to move away from AGB's in favor or properly tuned gas ports/buffers/springs/etc.

And maybe it's because it's got a carbine buffer and/or seriously over-gassed, but I run that rifle in almost fully restricted mode. 4.5 turns is "open". I'm around 2 turns for a 3:00 ejection with .223 brass, so restricting the stock gas by at least half.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So that boasts of having a "bleed off" design. Have you tired one of these kind of gas blocks?
    [EDIT] Or is that just marketing talk?

It's a different system. I'm not sold on them. I'm not even sold on a .80" journal. I thought it was a foolish move. What I am sold on is their Ultramatch barrels.

Last edited:

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I have both SLR and Superlative Arms gas blocks. Dead Air is big on the Superlative Arms ones to lower overall sound signature of a semi auto rifle when run in bleed off mode. I started buying them during a time it was impossible to get the SLR gas blocks, but have since started using them for the bleed off feature. With bleed off it is a little more difficult to get the rifle tuned in properly, and you may need to adjust buffer weight and buffer spring to get everything exactly correct. If you're not interested in any of that, the SLR has Clandestine's "Not Disapproved" mark, last I checked (probably best to contact SOTAR directly if you want to be sure. . . and pay Chad for a reliability package while you're at it). Probably safest to go with whatever he suggests for a gas block since he forgot more than most of us will ever know about ARs.

I tend to set a rifle up with one setting and leave it that way once it is tuned to accomplish whatever I am trying to do with that firearm. For most firearms that would mean setting it up to run dirty and lubricated with whatever suppressor, but not so overgassed that the action unlocks early or will beat itself to death. Ideally I'll be able to tune it so that it's reliable suppressed and unsuppressed with a wide range of ammo without having to change the gas block settings, but that's not always realistic. Usually I just set it for reliable dedicated suppressed operation and leave the can on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom