• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You do know that during an average flu season, in the Unites States alone, MILLIONS and MILLIONS of people are infected and 30,000 - 50,000 die, right? That's approximately 300 people PER DAY. Yet people carry on like nothing has changed. There is no panic, no remodeling garages as mail triage centers, no shutting down stores, no destroying the economy in a manufactured crisis, just life.....and death. It's the way of things. 300 people PER DAY in an average flu season. Since November, the beer virus has killed less than THREE DAYS worth of people compared to the run of the mill seasonal flu. You folks can drink the media/government sweetened Kool-Aid if you'd like. I'll stick with pure water.

IT'S JUST THE FLU, BRO!

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Correct. Some years it's more virulent that others. Some years it's more contagious than others.

On a side note, the mail man was just at my door with a package for my honey. I thanked him and took the package and other mail. Now it's a possible ticking time bomb sitting on the kitchen counter waiting to potentially infect my honey with DEATH when she gets home.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    Its sort of like playing Russian roulette. The more bullets you put in the gun, the more chance you have of it going bang when the trigger is pulled.

But, if you don't put any bullets in the gun, or open any mail, the chances of just hearing a click is pretty good.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Its sort of like playing Russian roulette. The more bullets you put in the gun, the more chance you have of it going bang when the trigger is pulled.

But, if you don't put any bullets in the gun, or open any mail, the chances of just hearing a click is pretty good.

By this logic, we shouldn't drive cars, fly in airplanes, eat food that we didn't grow ourselves, trust that our dog won't go haywire and maul us in our sleep, etc., etc., etc. and growing more and more ridiculous nam omne aeternum.

At what point do you just curl up in a padded room and soil yourself for fear of the toilet braking and severing your femoral artery? Panic virus is the most virulent of all.

Now if you all will excuse me, I'm heading out to support a local business and buy myself a late lunch.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    By this logic, we shouldn't drive cars, fly in airplanes, eat food that we didn't grow ourselves, trust that our dog won't go haywire and maul us in our sleep, etc., etc., etc. and growing more and more ridiculous nam omne aeternum.

At what point do you just curl up in a padded room and soil yourself for fear of the toilet braking and severing your femoral artery? Panic virus is the most virulent of all.

Now if you all will excuse me, I'm heading out to support a local business and buy myself a late lunch.

Its simple, just don't put any unnecessary bullets in the gun. :)

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    You do know that during an average flu season, in the Unites States alone, MILLIONS and MILLIONS of people are infected and 30,000 - 50,000 die, right? That's approximately 300 people PER DAY. Yet people carry on like nothing has changed. There is no panic, no remodeling garages as mail triage centers, no shutting down stores, no destroying the economy in a manufactured crisis, just life.....and death. It's the way of things. 300 people PER DAY in an average flu season. Since November, the beer virus has killed less than THREE DAYS worth of people compared to the run of the mill seasonal flu. You folks can drink the media/government sweetened Kool-Aid if you'd like. I'll stick with pure water.

Unless you end up in a hospital with it and will need to be on a ventilator. That's what's consistent with this virus, if you end up in the hospital you'll likely need to be on one. There are currently hundreds of Marylanders in the hospital with this crap right now. How many ventilators are in the state? NY is setting up an age and lottery based approach as they are close to crossing the line of not being able to care for everyone who shows up - that's why they are leaving and flooding into other states.

A friend of mine in Texas who works in a rural hospital told us tbeir shipment of PPE was rerouted to NY and they are on alert some of their ventilators will be commandeered by FEMA for the same reasons. cLink

http://kingfish1935.blogspot.com/2020/03/new-orleans-hospitals-are-war-zone.html?m=1

You sir are dangerously uninformed.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.

Yes, things can happen suddenly and without warning (car accident, plane crash, tree crashing into your bedroom during a storm, etc...). Yes, more people die of the flu SO FAR on an annual basis.

I think you fail to understand the difference between this and the flu (or maybe you just don't want to face reality). The rate of hospitalization for this is between 15%-20% (from what I've read). We do not have enough hospital beds, let alone ventilators, to accommodate this many sick people.

Simply put: we have a finite number of resources and the people sick with this will exceed the resources we have available. I don't know why people don't understand this.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes, things can happen suddenly and without warning (car accident, plane crash, tree crashing into your bedroom during a storm, etc...). Yes, more people die of the flu SO FAR on an annual basis.

I think you fail to understand the difference between this and the flu (or maybe you just don't want to face reality). The rate of hospitalization for this is between 15%-20% (from what I've read). We do not have enough hospital beds, let alone ventilators, to accommodate this many sick people.

Simply put: we have a finite number of resources and the people sick with this will exceed the resources we have available. I don't know why people don't understand this.

Read the article linked a few posts above yours.

NO ONE KNOWS. Corona viruses are one of the causes of the common cold. So MANY people may have had it, had mild symptoms and never reported it.

That 15 - 20% is for people who are sick enough seek medical attention.

Article states 30 to 300 times as many having mild symptoms without seeking medical attention. Personally, I have been saying 10 - 100 times.

Right now, data is 96% of the active cases are Mild. Only 4% are Serious or Critical. And again, those percentages are of KNOWN cases.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes he does and he says people are making decisions without reliable data.
    Unfortunately the decisions have to be made NOW using what data they have.
    Or would you prefer to wait until enough body bags fill up so the data becomes "reliable" and then make the decision. The decision will be better but it wont help the people in the body bags .

No, we know how many are dying.

We do NOT know how many people have had it, but a mild enough case that they never went for medical attention.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    +1.

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD

This is the type of thinking that leads a country into social, health and economic ruin. True, many of us don't really care for influenza because it usually only impacts the at risk and elderly population. For the vast majority of the population we have vaccines that work for influenza. We have treatments that work for influenza, we have known about influenza for over 100 years and we as a society accept that "flu season" comes every year and most of us are fine.

In 1918-1919 50 million people in the world died to a virus we'd never seen before. No vaccines, no treatments except "fresh air". That was the first influenza pandemic. 2-3% of the worlds population, more people that died fighting in world war I. This was the Spanish Influenza (even though it likely originated on a pigfarm in Kansas)

In 2020 there are over 8 billion people on this world and we are more densely packed and connected than ever before. We have no immunity to this coronavirus, it spreads easier than the flu and kills better than the flu. We have no treatments except a prayer that an 80yr old anti malaria drug can even give us a fighting chance. We're not even close to peak disease in this country or the world so your quote of "Flu kills more people per day than what we've seen so far" is naive at best. We're doing all this so we don't lose more people than the flu.

The point is everyone has a choice to make. Is it "its just the flu bro" or are you going to take personal responsibility and do your part in slowing down the spread of this pandemic

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    This is the type of thinking that leads a country into social, health and economic ruin. True, many of us don't really care for influenza because it usually only impacts the at risk and elderly population. For the vast majority of the population we have vaccines that work for influenza. We have treatments that work for influenza, we have known about influenza for over 100 years and we as a society accept that "flu season" comes every year and most of us are fine.

In 1918-1919 50 million people in the world died to a virus we'd never seen before. No vaccines, no treatments except "fresh air". That was the first influenza pandemic. 2-3% of the worlds population, more people that died fighting in world war I. This was the Spanish Influenza (even though it likely originated on a pigfarm in Kansas)

In 2020 there are over 8 billion people on this world and we are more densely packed and connected than ever before. We have no immunity to this coronavirus, it spreads easier than the flu and kills better than the flu. We have no treatments except a prayer that an 80yr old anti malaria drug can even give us a fighting chance. We're not even close to peak disease in this country or the world so your quote of "Flu kills more people per day than what we've seen so far" is naive at best. We're doing all this so we don't lose more people than the flu.

The point is everyone has a choice to make. Is it "its just the flu bro" or are you going to take personal responsibility and do your part in slowing down the spread of this pandemic

Well said.

They seem to be in the “if I get Corona, I get Corona” camp.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    As I've said, there is the corona virus and there is the panic virus. One is far more virulent than the other.

Just like every year, I hope I don't catch the flu/HIV/Hep C/leprosy/a cold/ebola/a bullet/etc. This year, I hope a don't catch the Wu Han beer hangover too. I hope I don't catch these things but I won't stop living my life to ensure it. I have a better chance of dying in a car crash on the beltway than I do the things listed above. One thing a can assure you of is that I won't catch is the panic virus. I do take personal responsibility. I take personal responsibility for living my life, not in fear, but rather in the knowledge that I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death. To all the people that want to give in to fear and hide, have at it. As for me......tomorrow morning I'm going to get out of bed, take a shower, go to work, shake hands with friends and walk out into the world looking for my next adventure.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    As I've said, there is the corona virus and there is the panic virus. One is far more virulent than the other.

Just like every year, I hope I don't catch the flu/HIV/Hep C/leprosy/a cold/ebola/a bullet/etc. This year, I hope a don't catch the Wu Han beer hangover too. I hope I don't catch these things but I won't stop living my life to ensure it. I have a better chance of dying in a car crash on the beltway than I do the things listed above. One thing a can assure you of is that I won't catch is the panic virus. I do take personal responsibility. I take personal responsibility for living my life, not in fear, but rather in the knowledge that I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death. To all the people that want to give in to fear and hide, have at it. As for me......tomorrow morning I'm going to get out of bed, take a shower, go to work, shake hands with friends and walk out into the world looking for my next adventure.
    again, +1. I am considered essential at my job so nothing changes for us anyway. I already washed my hands before all this so life goes on.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ... I have a better chance of dying in a car crash on the beltway than I do the things listed above. ... shake hands with friends and walk out into the world looking for my next adventure.

********. You have a greater chance of drowning in your own blood two weeks from today than of dying in a car crash. They aren't filling FEMA trailers with dead car crash victims.

That risk is greatly, stupidly increased by shaking people's hands. Why not get shitfaced drunk and drive at high speed against traffic? Even then, I'm not sure if you'll even up the odds.

Will this be this your new avatar, two months from now?

MDS RIP.jpg

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    Being careful is not living in fear. I lock my doors at night and keep a gun handy. The odds of a home invasion happening to me are slim. But I do what I can to prevent it just in case.

Just try to be safe with this virus. Do what you have to do to get by. If you have to work, try to be as safe as you can. If you get it, you get it but do all you can to prevent it. Shaking hands and going out as usual is asinine. There's no need for it. Lets all just make a small effort to get thru this thing. We can ALL argue and joke about it at a later date, maybe, but for now PLEASE be careful.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

You are missing the whole point.

The point is, MANY people die every year from the flu. Or car accidents (35,000 - 40,000). Or medical mistakes (over 250,000). Or heart problems (647,000). Or cancer (about 600,000).

But people are panicked over corona virus, because it is new.

So the comment, "it's just the flu" is that people accept that 30,000 to 50,000 die EVERY YEAR, in the US alone, from the flu, but we accept that, because that is how things are. BTW, that means around 100 - 150 PER DAY on average.

And influenza and emphysema are about number 8 on the cause of death in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom