• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dontallo

Crotchety Old Guy Who Owns Too Many Guns
    Feb 13, 2020
    Sarver, PA 16055
    I posted in the pinned moving to MD, but that information is quite dated and no one answered me.

I will be relocating to MD from NJ and would like a plain English summary of the infringements upon which I will be compelled to conform. I currently live in an AWB State, so I am already familiar with the concepts of evil features and magazine capacity. I am a little confused by the copy-cat rule, whan mag capacity is and is not an issue, and the HBAR requirement. I would also like to know a little about the seriousness of the 90-day registration law (it's basically ignored in NJ).

Thanks for your advice.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I posted in the pinned moving to MD, but that information is quite dated and no one answered me.

I will be relocating to MD from NJ and would like a plain English summary of the infringements upon which I will be compelled to conform. I currently live in an AWB State, so I am already familiar with the concepts of evil features and magazine capacity. I am a little confused by the copy-cat rule, whan mag capacity is and is not an issue, and the HBAR requirement. I would also like to know a little about the seriousness of the 90-day registration law (it's basically ignored in NJ).

Thanks for your advice.

- HBAR's... Any AR pattern rifle in 5.56/.223 with a barrel length of 16 inches or greater, must be equipped with a heavy barrel. MD law is written poorly, but the collective interpretation is that the barrel MUST be stamped OR marketed/advertised as an HBAR or Heavy Barrel profile. Some have argued that SPR profile or SOCOM profile barrels are legal, but if you are to follow the letter of the law, then it must be stamped, or advertised specifically with HBAR and Heavy Barrel only. There are no weight requirements or descriptions for what an HBAR actually means. Hardly any barrels are stamped, but I make sure to keep a copy of the product description so that anyone can clearly see it is indeed an HBAR.

Mag Capacity - it is completely legal to possess, use, and transport magazines of any capacity in MD. It is illegal to purchase, transfer, or sell any magazines with a capacity of greater than 10 rounds within the state of MD. Regular capacity magazines can be legally purchased out of state and brought back with you.

Unsure about the 90 day reg. Welcome to MD.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    As of now!

You have 90days to register any MD regulated firearms with MSP.
    You will need to get a HQL license which will require 8 hour training class and will be good for 10 years. You will need to Pass an MSP background check as well. If you plan to purchase more regulated firearms.
    Unless you apply for for a collectors designation you will be limited to 1 regulated handgun a month (30 days) and there is a 7day waiting period when purchasing a new hand gun.
    To get a concealed permit you will need a "good and substantial" reason. Good luck with that unless you are a business owner and LEO. There is a lot more to it... But it's a hell of a process... Trust me.
    You can have any size Mag you want... But you can not buy it in MD nor build it in MD... And don't think about having it shipped here from another State. But you can simply drive to any neighboring state and buy as many as you want and bring them back.
    With out a CCW you may pretty much only take your firearms to and from the range... Unloaded with ammo in separate container or ammo can. They must also be as far from your reach as possible. Like in your trunk of your sedan.

As for the HBAR. It's the only Ar-15 we are allowed to have. More so the only type of barrel we are allowed to have. The barrel does not need to be stamped HBAR. But something stating it is an Hbar is best but not necessary.

I hope I helped. I am not a lawyer and I am sure someone will be along to better explain in even more detail then I did.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    As of now!

You will need to get a HQL license which will require 8 hour training class and will be good for 10 years. You will need to Pass an MSP background check as well. If you plan to purchase more regulated firearms.
    Unless you apply for for a collectors designation you will be limited to 1 regulated handgun a month (30 days) and there is a 7day waiting period when purchasing a new hand gun.
    To get a concealed permit you will need a "good and substantial" reason. Good luck with that unless you are a business owner and LEO. There is a lot more to it... But it's a hell of a process... Trust me.
    You can have any size Mag you want... But you can not buy it in MD nor build it in MD... And don't think about having it shipped here from another State. But you can simply drive to any neighboring state and buy as many as you want and bring them back.
    With out a CCW you may pretty much only take your firearms to and from the range... Unloaded with ammo in separate container or ammo can. They must also be as far from your reach as possible. Like in your trunk of your sedan.

As for the HBAR. It's the only Ar-15 we are allowed to have. More so the only type of barrel we are allowed to have. The barrel does not need to be stamped HBAR. But something stating it is an Hbar is best but not necessary.

I hope I helped. I am not a lawyer and I am sure someone will be along to better explain in even more detail then I did.

NO! The HQL class is only 4 hours!
    and there are a number of exemptions

Gun has to be physically unloaded but ammo need not be in a separate container when transported within MD; confused with FOPA

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    As of now!

As mentioned earlier, the required HQL training class is only 4 hours. Further, just to clarify, you do not need the HQL to keep what you have now, it is only required if you want to buy ANOTHER handgun. No licensing is required to buy (or own what you already have) long guns, at least for now. The discussion about HBAR for Armalite-style rifles only applies to 5.56/.223, there are no barrel profile requirements for 6.5, 7.62, .300, etc. calibers.

What is that quote, something like "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe so long as the Legislature is in session"

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    As of now!

.............................................................................
    The barrel does not need to be stamped HBAR. But something stating it is an Hbar is best but not necessary.

Is this just a synopsis of all the laws already on the books for a while? I'm assuming the 90 day registration is referring to bringing something into the state when first moving here.... or has something just changed that I haven't heard about?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The OP is inquiring about moving into the state .

Welcome !

Moving from NJ is the only unequivocal situation in North America , where where Maryland is an improvement .

EDA98

Dec 4, 2019
    Laurel MD
    Does the HBAR thing only apply to AR pattern rifles? For example the AUG is banned but they did make HBAR versions. Are those exempted? The HBAR rule is rather confusing.

dontallo

Feb 13, 2020
    Sarver, PA 16055
    The OP is inquiring about moving into the state .

Welcome !

Moving from NJ is the only unequivocal situation in North America , where where Maryland is an improvement .
    :beer:

I agree. I think, on net, I will be better off. The only concerns I have are my ARs and my AKM (which I am sure would be designated as a deadly AK-47 because I reconfigured it for a pistol grip and changed the polymer for wooden furniture).

So I take it the HBAR law passed? Last I saw it was proposed. Is there a grandfather clause on the HBAR? My factory ST-15 and Arsenal AKM were purchased long before 2013. I have 4 other builds on PSA-15 lowers that were purchased after 2013.

What constitutes an AR-pattern rifle? Since NJ counts the deadly scary pistol grip as an evil feature, I believe all of my NJ-compliant semiautomatic rifles would have zero evil features from MD's perspective (having none of a folding stock; a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or a flash suppressor;)

What about this $300 registration fee I read about? Seriously, did that pass? 1/3 the cost of the rifle to register it?

I guess I need some more detailed information on how to legally bring my toys with me from NJ.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The HBAR thing took effect Oct 1 2013 . Likewise the Banned Rifles . ( Unlimited number for either free or one nominal fee , brain fade )

Your AK-ish rifles would be grandfathered , but require registration upon moving in similar to your handguns . Any AR-15 that you aquired after Oct 1 2013 , would have to be HBAR or otherwise compliant .

The other outrageous things you mentioned , are part of the currently proposed HB 1261 .

My wife is from Mercer County and my mother in law is your neighbor in Westampton (just off Rancocas Rd and 295). Scrapple is better than pork roll. Jersey makes the best pizza.

Maryland laws are very confusing, but here are the FAQ's:
    1- AR's, AK's and most other sporting rifles owned prior to 10/1/2013 are legal to bring in to the state. You need to be able to prove when they were bought and register them within 90 days.
    2- AR rifles in .223/5.56 bought after 10/1/2013 must be marked or marketed as heavy barrel.
    3- Handguns need to be registered within 90 days.
    4- Magazines of any capacity are legal here, but they must enter the state while in your possession- no shipping, buying, selling, offering for sale, etc. within Maryland. Stop in PA or DE and load up on your way down.
    5- For new (to you) handgun purchases once in Marylandistan, a Handgun Qualification License (HQL) is required.
    6- Handguns cannot be "kept" in your trunk. They can only be transported to a range, gunsmith, etc.
    7- A CCW license is a lost cause unless you're: a business owner, Fed employee victim of the security breech or politically connected.
    8- The "copycat" law is about interchangeable parts. If I started making AK-48 rifles that have most (or all) parts interchangeable with an AK-47, it would be a copycat. EX: The AK-74 and VZ58 are legal here because the parts don't swap with a banned rifle (AK-47) There are many other examples.

What town are you moving to?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Regarding HQL; guns which qualify as C&R may be purchased in MD without an HQL. If you have an FFL03(C&R) you can use it to purchase qualifying firearms from states outside MD. It is useless within the state, as all regulated firearms transferred within the state must be transferred through a full-service FFL.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Also, face to face private sales of long guns (not banned) are still legal (for the moment, but this is under attack), provided that both parties are residents, of legal age, and are not prohibited. Private sales of handguns were stopped in 1996, so all handgun sales have to go through an FFL or State Police. Antique firearms and black powder are still exempt (again, for the moment).

dontallo

Feb 13, 2020
    Sarver, PA 16055
    WOW! All great stuff, everyone. Thanks for all the advice. MD certainly is confusing. NJ is simpler because it is stricter.

My wife is from Mercer County and my mother in law is your neighbor in Westampton (just off Rancocas Rd and 295). Scrapple is better than pork roll. Jersey makes the best pizza.
    Small world. I'm originally from Ohio and got stuck in NJ when I married a Jersey Girl 25 years ago. At least you dodged a bullet and didn't get stuck in NJ. Pork roll is nothing more than "round SPAM." :puke:

1- AR's, AK's and most other sporting rifles owned prior to 10/1/2013 are legal to bring in to the state. You need to be able to prove when they were bought and register them within 90 days.
    I presume my NJ State COE paperwork will suffice as proof of purchase date.
    Geeze, nothing like reversing the burdens of proof. Isn't it the State's obligation to prove that I am breaking the law, not mine to prove that I am obeying the law. :shrug:

2- AR rifles in .223/5.56 bought after 10/1/2013 must be marked or marketed as heavy barrel.
    Were the authors of this law unaware that that the upper receiver (barrel part) on an AR rifle is not permanently attached to the lower receiver (registered part)? One could argue that I own one pre-2013 lower with 5 different uppers and 4 post 2013 lowers with no uppers. :tongue01:

I guess I will be in the market for some cheap HBAR uppers. What were the law-makers trying to achieve with this one? Limiting ownership to rifles intended for target shooting and not killing people (like anyone could know or care if they were shot from a HBAR vs. an A2 barrel.

What town are you moving to?.
    Annapolis. The company I work for has a contract with the State of MD. I will probably be here for about 5 years. Hopefully thereafter, I will be able to move to Free America.

Thanks again to everyone for all the great advice. :patriot:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    What were the law-makers trying to achieve with this one? Limiting ownership to rifles intended for target shooting and not killing people (like anyone could know or care if they were shot from a HBAR vs. an A2 barrel.

Annapolis.

They were just picking away at our rights. Some last year, some this year, some more next year. It never ends.

dontallo

Feb 13, 2020
    Sarver, PA 16055
    Can it really be this simple?
    Can I get a couple cheap drop-in .22LR conversion BCGs and .22LR mags and store my rifles in a rim fire configuration as a way around the HBAR requirement?

$150

133311.jpg

Lalez

BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2019
    Russia
    Can it really be this simple?
    Can I get a couple cheap drop-in .22LR conversion BCGs and .22LR mags and store my rifles in a rim fire configuration as a way around the HBAR requirement?

$150

133311.jpg

Well yes of course. You and every other Maryland resident can do whatever you want to do since Marbury v Madison ruled that "all laws repugnant to the Constitution are null and void" in the year 1803.

My advice to you? Commute to Annapolis from another state. Maryland is a "pro-criminal police state" and even defending your home with a gun will get you jail time guaranteed. Coming from New Jersey you may be ok with all of this, but I highly recommend moving to one of the 44 remaining free states, even just briefly, to experience full 2A benefits including concealed carry. Hell even Virginia would be a decent choice as they defeated some BS recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom