• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    The tax burden is lower than MD and PA. Housing costs are lower than MD, PA, & VA. WV is signing concealed carry reciprocity agreements left and right. The best part is they have agreements with places I might actually go like NV. It looks pretty good but I must admit I am having trouble moving past all of the WV hillbilly jokes I heard growing up. If I can get my business to where I want it to be and only travel to MD a few days a week I may have to consider a move. On the plus side I could be FREE unlike in the so-called "free state". See the tax burden and housing price statistics at the links below. Almost forgot the low incidence of violent crime. See the link.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/home-sales-average-price/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2013/03/02/state-local-tax-burden/1937757/

http://www.census.gov/statab/ranks/rank21.html

highfructosecornsyrup

Apr 2, 2012
    baltimore city
    I have old fam in west va. Still got some great aunts and uncles residing there but most of the property is willed to cousins and stuff. We have our fam reunion there, my parents have a house, and big barn on 5 acres in a county where family owns a good bit of property. We go there several times a year and I like to think it is a magical place that I would rather own a piece of land there than buy a house here in this ******** state of MD.

bottom line I <3 West Va. (yes I did that stupid heart thing)

Seth

Sep 17, 2013
    I have considered WV but I can't stand HOAs. I have found it impossible to find any property that is somewhat close to any civilization that isn't controlled by an HOA.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I have considered WV but I can't stand HOAs. I have found it impossible to find any property that is somewhat close to any civilization that isn't controlled by an HOA.

I am definitely not a fan of them either. Having a home built might be my best option.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland

If you want civilization, West Virginia is not for you. The appealing thing about West Virginia is its lack of civilization. I hope to be there in ten years or less.

Seth

Sep 17, 2013
    If you want civilization, West Virginia is not for you. The appealing thing about West Virginia is its lack of civilization. I hope to be there in ten years or less.

I meant having a grocery store and gas station within a half hour. Even farms in Gerrardstown have an HOA. Living in BFE is enticing but my wife would never go for it.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I meant having a grocery store and gas station within a half hour. Even farms in Gerrardstown have an HOA. Living in BFE is enticing but my wife would never go for it.

The parts of West Virginia near me have grocery stores and gas stations, even a few restaurants, but very few areas with HOAs.

jeepin13

Jan 10, 2011
    Bel Air, MD
    Love WV. Wife's family has a farm in Weston. Its out there, no cell phone service, 20 minute ride to town, but no one bothers you. Just got back Sunday. Heading back for Thanksgiving, can't wait. Wish we could move there tomorrow.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Don't overlook WV income tax. 1% higher than MD for MD-style income. Money saved on WV property tax could be lost to income tax.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    but....guns

Property taxes are lower combined with the fact that the property price/value will be lower which should offset any small increase in income tax. Car and home insurance rates are generally significantly lower as well. Utilities, groceries, gas, etc. are all cheaper than where I live. And of course guns are not looked at with horror.

Vince55

Vince55
    Aug 10, 2010
    Lusby, Md
    WV is nice, but I have to go further South. 3 years to retirement, then move to NC.....out in the sticks, no neighbors, plenty of space to shoot and hunt.

MontaniSemperLiberi

MD Survivor
    Nov 12, 2011
    West By'God Virginia
    Don't forget the personal property tax. They even tax your dogs, if the police have not shot them.:D

You mean the "tax" that's $3/yr less than having the dog "registered" in Baltimore County? Yeah, that's cheaper here too...

Marriage licenses are also less restrictive in MD in relation to marrying cousins. Oops.

Not sure what the deal is with HOAs... Maybe in the EP, but they're few and far between in the majority of the state. The eastern panhandle is like sniffing the pot of stew rather than getting to taste it. ;)

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    http://www.cousincouples.com/?page=states

Maryland is the state that allows first cousins to marry; that is illegal in WV. In fact, you can marry your first cousin in md even if he is a dude, and you are too.

I'm not sure why md people are always so confused about cousin marriage, or guy-guy marriage, although marital relations are certainly not the only things, or even the most important things that confuse them. I don't think they want to go to a state with narrow, winding mountain roads that are generally only one lane wide when the snow is plowed, if the snow is even plowed. I've seen quite a few out-of-state people from New England and md that have moved there because it sounds good, but they don't often stay too long. Last family I know of started building a house then left before it was even completed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom