Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > NFA/Class 3/Title II
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old November 20th, 2018, 09:34 AM #11

I will add the concept of first round pop or FRP. That is when the first shot is significantly louder than the subsequent shots due to the air in the can. Out of all the 22 cans I have used, mono core cans seem to be the worst at this. Look at the videos on youtube the articles. To me, a loud FRP is like kissing your sister. That said, there are plenty if quality cans with little or no FRP. SPectre II, Mask, Occulous, are a couple.

Do you homework, don't go from price alone. Someone mentioned Radical cans, I know nothing about them or the company. SO i won't comment on them.

Don't forget is the cost of ink fingerprints and photos, unless you use the SS kiosk. The nice thing about the SS is they store the info and will submit everything for you on you next purchase from them. But, you can be limited to what the carry. If you purchase something from dealer stock, if the are a powered by dealer you can to use the SS to submit the f4, but there will be a minimal charge. I think around $35. That is on top of the stamp.

BTW, the most important thing of all is patience. It will 6 to 9 months before you can bring your new toy home....Buy it, do the paper work and forget about it for a while.
sundazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 08:08 PM #12

What does the "first round pop" actually give away? The person or thing you're shooting never hears it. Only you, and it is still much quieter than naked muzzle blast.
outrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 11:22 PM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
What does the "first round pop" actually give away? The person or thing you're shooting never hears it. Only you, and it is still much quieter than naked muzzle blast.
True, but its like a creaking floor board. Every time you (reload) walk into the to room there is a loud creak.

Actually, I really can't stand FRP. Its still quieter than the naked blast, but having the first shot a lot louder than the rest is annoying as hell to me...
sundazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 11:29 PM #14

Absolutely agree when it comes to cans price is literally dead last in my buying process for something I have to be married to and wait 6-12 months, pay $200 stamp and additional fees etc just to take ownership of. So the top latest/greatest at the time of purchase makes the most sense imo
Maryland W&C unrestricted

NRA= Not Real Activist?
Rob R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 11:43 PM #15
Recovering Lurker

Recovering Lurker

I'll avoid repeating much of the (very good) advice above, but will echo the notion that it's not worth scrimping, considering the cost and time sink the whole process involves.

My rimfire can is a Rugged Oculus. I like that it can be configured shorter (and a bit louder) for less bulk. But in its full length configuration, it's not at all unwieldy. It's quiet, easy to clean, well made ... and indeed, just as they promise, FRP is essentially undetectable. Very happy with it. Did the transaction online with Silencer Shop, consummated the paperwork and prints with a local shop that had one of their kiosks. Other than the maddening wait, it was totally painless.
Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2018, 08:21 AM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundazes View Post
True, but its like a creaking floor board. Every time you (reload) walk into the to room there is a loud creak.

Actually, I really can't stand FRP. Its still quieter than the naked blast, but having the first shot a lot louder than the rest is annoying as hell to me...
That's really it. FRP is bad when shooting heavy calibers though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
outrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2018, 12:18 PM #17

Concur 100% with not going cheap. Having said that, consider what you are going to do with the can. Full auto rated = heavier. Rated for calibers other than .22LR = heavier. And a heavier can is a PITA stuck out on the front of a pistol. I'll add that if you have a particular itch for a can, scratch it...you will, eventually. I wanted one of the wet mini-cans for years, got talked out of it...and finally wound up with an AWC Titan 3.

The Silencer Shop kiosks are the way to go. It's one-stop shopping, no more finding someone/somewhere to do fingerprint cards or take passport photos. The kiosk takes care of everything.
Old November 25th, 2018, 12:39 PM #18

Given a different situation to mine I would have made use of the single shot trusts from silencer shop. They could make transfer of the cans much easier in the future and all of your collection isnít caught up on the same trust. I have a legal plan that paid for my NFA trust to be setup so I ended up using that instead.

Again, if I had everything to do over again, I would have picked a 22lr can that used a baffle stack instead of the mono core for no other reason but ease of cleaning. I have one of the newer checkmate QDs with the mono core and would have rather had the old version. The baffle stacks are easier to throw into a stainless steel tumbler and hit with a brush if nessisary. There are a lot less nooks and crannies that have to be cleaned out. I would prob grab the 22 lr Optimus since it gives a little more functionality and would use the same QD fittings as my Optimus 9.
GolfR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2018, 03:04 PM #19
Jew with a Gun

Jew with a Gun

I've said this a few times before, but... I own both a cheap 22 suppressor (TI Tac65) and an expensive 22 suppressor (SiCo Sparrow SS), and TBH, I don't think of one as being all that much more awesome than the other. Aluminum 22lr cans are very nice on pistols, because you really notice that 3-4oz less weight out front, and you still have a nice long baffle stack to muffle the gas. But on rifles, I prefer something a little tougher, and the additional weight doesn't matter as much.

That said, if you're only buying one... the top-end modular cans from SiCo, Rugged, Dead Air, and Q are all pretty good.
Old November 26th, 2018, 03:27 PM #20

Just fired my MP22 pistol (Walther variant) with SilencerCo Sparrow and Aguila Subsonic.

It was louder .... than my Savage TRSR surpressed but not by much.

You a member of a local range?

Kiosk is King. Individual is getting back in about 8 months. Trusts seem to be taking the back seat.
FrankOceanXray is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > NFA/Class 3/Title II