Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Addition to my last.
    I see Loveville Timber and one or two
    others are on the far side of the Pax, so I may
    have to go there...Nanjemoy is a bit far from
    Dares Beach,
    I guess, for wood delivery.
    Especially enjoyed 44man’s story...thanks!
    You guys are the best on the Forum!

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    Thank you - and all!

Sorry I have not gotten back on this sooner.

On the stuffed ham thing, we hit the McKay’s.

Hat a ton of fun with the staff, and a great

sandwich. They have corned hand pretty much every day between now and the holidays. So, we are going to try to recreate

the old family recipe using one of those. (MY family usually settled for a good pizza back in

NY...)

On the wood stove:

We bought a Hearthston Phoenix, which is a soapstone version that caught the wife’s eye. Gets installed in a week and a half. I have some prep work to do on the floor in front of the existing fireplace...just gotta find that doggone “round tuit” that I know is around here somewhere.

Great info on wood.

Will try a recommended source willing to come here to Dares Beach...Nanjemoy (where many of my wife’s ancestors are buried) is probably

a bit too far for a wood guy...will try reach out to somebody on this side of the Pax River.

Beautiful day out there...the Bay is particularly pretty today! I love October!

God is good!!!

Just got a guy to start delivering 3 cords for me down here in Nanjemoy. He's unloading and stacking his second cord as I'm typing. If your interested dm me and I will give you his number. All hardwood (oak) and delivers a full cord.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Just got a guy to start delivering 3 cords for me down here in Nanjemoy. He's unloading and stacking his second cord as I'm typing. If your interested dm me and I will give you his number. All hardwood (oak) and delivers a full cord.

CL guy or BB? Just curious..

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    CL guy. He called me as I was picking my phone up to call your guy and wanted to know if he could start delivering the next day. After talking to him found out he had 61 cords to deliver before mine. Said it would have been nice to have let me know so I could anticipated the delay. He apologized and after talking with him for a few minutes I felt comfortable with our transaction. Started yesterday and have two good full cords delivered all oak. Tomorrow morning will be the final delivery. Thanks by the way for reaching out to me and letting me know your contact.:thumbsup: will keep his number in case I need him in the future.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    Cool..

It is that time of the year and ppl buying firewood before winter..

Yep, he was telling me that in the past couple of weeks he had been slammed. Not to mention that he farms so you know he's in crunch time right now.

chipd

May 20, 2017
    moisture meters are necessary for EPA stoves

Best advice I can give you is get a wood moisture meter. The type with the metal probes. Split a few pieces of the wood they are trying to sell you and test the inside of the new splits with the meter. Refuse to pay for anything over 19% moisture that you want to burn this year. It is 30 bucks for a good meter. It will pay for itself in one rejected load. If it is wet, talk them down, stack it and save it for next year if you can. The only way to save money using a wood stove is to buy cheap wood and dry it yourself. Www.hearth.com is your firewood burning resource on the Internet

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    Step 1: Follow advice others gave about mixing in dry blocks / unfinished hardwood with somewhat wet stuff, for year 1. Perhaps get enough to get you through this winter.
    Step 2: Go on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist and find free firewood.
    Step 3: Haul, split, stack. One truckload at a time ought to be just fine if you do it several times over the course of a year.
    Step 4: Cover stacked wood
    Step 5: Allow stacked wood to season
    Step 6: Burn now-dry wood you already stacked.

I only have a fire pit, but this is what I have been doing for 1-3 cord of wood each year, and it works great!

Profit?

-John

chipd

May 20, 2017
    At the very least put on some leather gloves so you can't get splinters and take two splits and bang them together hard. They should make a high pitched, fast percussive noise. Like a woodblock percussive instrument sounds. Not a thud. If your wood doesn't ring out a real note it is wet. I do that before i bring anything in, as I pick them up. In time your ears become a go no-go meter for firewood. A moisture meter is still always worth it for the 25 or 30 bucks they get shipped to your door for..

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Step 1: Follow advice others gave about mixing in dry blocks / unfinished hardwood with somewhat wet stuff, for year 1. Perhaps get enough to get you through this winter.
    Step 2: Go on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist and find free firewood.
    Step 3: Haul, split, stack. One truckload at a time ought to be just fine if you do it several times over the course of a year.
    Step 4: Cover stacked wood
    Step 5: Allow stacked wood to season
    Step 6: Burn now-dry wood you already stacked.

I only have a fire pit, but this is what I have been doing for 1-3 cord of wood each year, and it works great!

Profit?

-John
    Dedicated for a fire pit wood.. ? That's a lot of work.. lol

I just go in my yard .. pick out fallen tree/branches and burn them in fire pit..

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    Dedicated for a fire pit wood.. ? That's a lot of work.. lol

I just go in my yard .. pick out fallen tree/branches and burn them in fire pit..

Dude, when it's 15 degrees out, you need a good-sized fire. Takes a lot of wood to keep it going.

When we were doing fires almost every weekend, we went through 2 or 3 cord of wood in one winter. Now we do them once or twice a month, and we go through 1-2 cord.

Fire pit is a 40" copper one, and unlike the steel ones, it can take the abuse :D We burn for up to 6 hours, with 3-4' tall flames.

-John

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Dude, when it's 15 degrees out, you need a good-sized fire. Takes a lot of wood to keep it going.

When we were doing fires almost every weekend, we went through 2 or 3 cord of wood in one winter. Now we do them once or twice a month, and we go through 1-2 cord.

Fire pit is a 40" copper one, and unlike the steel ones, it can take the abuse :D We burn for up to 6 hours, with 3-4' tall flames.

-John

What I meant was... Having seasoned wood for the pit..

I get you having stacks.. but if it's seasoned or not.. in outdoor firepit.. I don't see it being problem/worry with soot vs indoor fireplace.

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    What I meant was... Having seasoned wood for the pit..

I get you having stacks.. but if it's seasoned or not.. in outdoor firepit.. I don't see it being problem/worry with soot vs indoor fireplace.

It's not a problem for soot or sap or anything, but wet wood doesn't burn well, and it doesn't put out nearly enough heat.

The first winter, we had a mix of "hot sticks" (bundles of kiln-dried wood available at 7-11) and fresh-cut wood, and it wasn't getting warm enough.

Now that we have seasoned wood, it's great! Nice and toasty, and much less smoke.

-John

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom