• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Foxxracer013

Mar 5, 2017
    Hey Guys,

New to the forum, I have been doing a ton of browsing through the forums, but haven't posted anything until now. I have seen this pop up a few times so I figured I would share my experience, so hopefully it can help others one way or another.

So after some debate, I settled on a XDS 9mm as my next purchase (Waiting on the MSP to hear back about my CCW), and I am a pretty plain person, so black on black it is! After a trip to Scotts Gunsmithing, and On Target, they didn't have any 9mm Black on Black XDS's. I have been to Bass Pro with the Mrs. a few times so I knew they had a few of them.

If you go at a "peak time" for the mall, plan on being there a while. I went on a Sunday night, and it wasn't really that busy, but it took 5-10 min for the people there "trying on" some guns to let my turn come around. Although this may be a bit inconvenient, I knew this going into it, which I think everyone should and was in no rush.

However (again this is just my own personal experience), once my number was called (lol I know...), the older gentlemen who helped me couldn't have been a nicer guy. There is a fair amount of "computer paperwork" involved in the process, and he was about as quick as he could be at it.

My purchase was done on Sunday the 7th around 8:00. I received my email from MSP around 5:00 today the 14th.

With the weather today, it was dead at Bass Pro, and it took a few minutes when I showed up to pick up my gun today to retrive it and finish the paperwork, and it's easy to understand why some people get frustrated with Bass Pro, but I feel there are two sides of the story to an extent.

I talked to 2-3 of the guys working the gun counter for 10-15 minutes, and they were all retired govt or police employee's, with long backgrounds, who enjoy firearms, and want everyone to. Although they are probably not entire "model" employee's when it comes to always being attentive, they all seem to have a love for firearms, and are selling guns because they want to. Just be prepared to spend extra time whether it is needed to be spent or not there, and I think you will have a good experience.

Some people may disagree and hate the joint either way, which I can totally understand, but as long as you go into it with an open mind, and time to spare, you should have a decent experience!

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hey Guys,

New to the forum, I have been doing a ton of browsing through the forums, but haven't posted anything until now. I have seen this pop up a few times so I figured I would share my experience, so hopefully it can help others one way or another.

So after some debate, I settled on a XDS 9mm as my next purchase (Waiting on the MSP to hear back about my CCW), and I am a pretty plain person, so black on black it is! After a trip to Scotts Gunsmithing, and On Target, they didn't have any 9mm Black on Black XDS's. I have been to Bass Pro with the Mrs. a few times so I knew they had a few of them.

If you go at a "peak time" for the mall, plan on being there a while. I went on a Sunday night, and it wasn't really that busy, but it took 5-10 min for the people there "trying on" some guns to let my turn come around. Although this may be a bit inconvenient, I knew this going into it, which I think everyone should and was in no rush.

However (again this is just my own personal experience), once my number was called (lol I know...), the older gentlemen who helped me couldn't have been a nicer guy. There is a fair amount of "computer paperwork" involved in the process, and he was about as quick as he could be at it.

My purchase was done on Sunday the 7th around 8:00. I received my email from MSP around 5:00 today the 14th.

With the weather today, it was dead at Bass Pro, and it took a few minutes when I showed up to pick up my gun today to retrive it and finish the paperwork, and it's easy to understand why some people get frustrated with Bass Pro, but I feel there are two sides of the story to an extent.

I talked to 2-3 of the guys working the gun counter for 10-15 minutes, and they were all retired govt or police employee's, with long backgrounds, who enjoy firearms, and want everyone to. Although they are probably not entire "model" employee's when it comes to always being attentive, they all seem to have a love for firearms, and are selling guns because they want to. Just be prepared to spend extra time whether it is needed to be spent or not there, and I think you will have a good experience.

Some people may disagree and hate the joint either way, which I can totally understand, but as long as you go into it with an open mind, and time to spare, you should have a decent experience!

they just want to feel impotent...

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    My experience helping my brother buy a gun there was 180 degrees, and the guy we were dealing with was actually in the military, not retired. Have not been back to that store since, and am hoping that its purchase of Cabela's does not go through.

Of course, others, like you, might have a different experience than I did.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    [FONT=&quot]I had both good and bad experiences at the Local (Hanover) Bass Pro store dealings with people working the Firearms counters.

The rest of the store has been good no issues once you get past the time share/vacation sale people.

The Bass Pro Store in Melbourne Florida is smaller than Hanover but I found it was better stocked but not over stocked (having three or four displays for the same items) the guys at the Firearms counter were very helpful.

I was looking for a side saddle butt sock and the guy took me straight to where they were, then ask was there anything else I was looking for.

They will get my business and money. BTW did not see any of the those pesky time share/vacation sale people in the Melbourne store :thumbsup:
    [/FONT]

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Bass Pro (Hanover, Md) is a big box store with big box employees. I have had mostly bad experiences with the gun counter personnel. This is due to unusually long wait times when they were not busy. I have gone there at 10am when they opened with 2 folks ahead of me and 4 people behind the counter only to wait 20 minutes to be helped. Even my positive experiences, like getting a Buck 50th anniversary 110 on sale was painfully slow and agonizing.

One tip is if you need the ammo they keep behind the counter, do not take a number. Just go up to the gun counter/archery register and tell them the ammo you want to buy. If they have it, you will get it before folks foolish enough to use their number system. Numbers seem to be needed only for guns and optics. Knives, archery and SD ammo is walk up and ask. Of course, this can change daily depending on which employee is managing the gun counter that day.

In short, go to an IP here for guns and accessories. Pickup your training ammo at Walmart and buy your SD ammo online or at your LGS.

Last edited:

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Bought a Browning O/U there a couple of years ago - could not have gone smoother - even opened a Bass Pro account to get extra discount - whole process took maybe 1/2 hour-45 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom