• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I have a 22 cal conversion tube with bolt, modified head for a LE rifle.
    Does anyone have an idea if this thing has any value?
    Thinking about what to do with it.
    It's never been fitted to a rifle or used and in a wooden tray.

No bolt head overturn, neat little extractor with offset firing pin.

Pretty sure these were offered by GPC or Numrich some time ago.
    If anybody has an idea or any input that would be great.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Don't have an idea of it's worth, however I do remember them being offered for sale. If memory serves me correctly they were a full barrel length and may have had a nut-like device at the muzzle to make it tight in the barrel and as you say a new bolt head and firing pin and extractor arrangement...at least that is my memory. I think at the time I either didn't find it interesting enough to buy or didn't have the spare funds for one. A photo or a link may help.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I looked around the inter-webs and pieced together some vague info. Its one of those things that are a trifle gimmicky but some get a pretty good kick out of fitting one to a rifle.
    Supposedly when fitted with care they give relatively decent accuracy to 50+ yards.
    That nut on the end of the barrel would drive me crazy looking at it though.

le221.jpg

le222.jpg

le223.jpg

le224.jpg

le225.jpg

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Yep, that is what I was remembering. Don't think I saw it in such detail before and find the pics interesting. Sorry, I still don't have an idea of value, did it have a company name or name for the conversion?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    No nothing, for manufacturer or origin. The hardwood tray seems to be some sort of variety not common to our area. I would expect the manufacture of the metal components to be not top tier but quality seems pretty good. Not a mark or stamp anywhere on the tray tube or bolt head. So im thinking India-Asia.

For instance, the threaded end of the tube has been machined right to the very end and not cut off so its not square.
    The threads have been cut right to the end of the tube.

Bolt head is bushed for the firing pin and fitted to the sleeve with no overturn. Body of the original firing pin has been machined off at the stop collar and not broken off.
    The width of the extractor fits the slot perfectly with the extractor slot ramped to release extractor tension on the cartridge rim when the bolt is closed. The chamber area of the tube is well done with a brite shiny bore RH twist no shadows through its length when inspected up to a strong light.

I have some pretty good ideas for fitting to full length rifle that are easy to achieve if I ever get around to it. But, it would be a permanent modification when its done.

The value to some LE enthusiast is more than I expected in areas with pending extreme gun control efforts making me tempted to sell which I never consider but not sure yet.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    I don't want to tell you what to do Doco, I have too much respect for you and your history of posts here, but may I suggest you think about moving this thread to the Curio and Relic forum? I think more of the folks there may have more interest as military surplus enthusiasts than folks who are in this section primarily interested in rimfires. C&R folks may have more experience with having seen something like this in an auction or show. Just a suggestion...

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I don't want to tell you what to do Doco, I have too much respect for you and your history of posts here, but may I suggest you think about moving this thread to the Curio and Relic forum? I think more of the folks there may have more interest as military surplus enthusiasts than folks who are in this section primarily interested in rimfires. C&R folks may have more experience with having seen something like this in an auction or show. Just a suggestion...

Thanks Clovis, I think your right. I was going to place it there (C&r) initially but didn't fully consider interest for both the rimfire vs. C&r categories. Ill paste it over and see what sort of conversation gets generated.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I have a 22 cal conversion tube with bolt, modified head for a LE rifle.
    Does anyone have an idea if this thing has any value?
    Thinking about what to do with it.
    It's never been fitted to a rifle or used and in a wooden tray.

No bolt head overturn, neat little extractor with offset firing pin.

Pretty sure these were offered by GPC or Numrich some time ago.
    If anybody has an idea or any input that would be great.

Yup, it's a Numrich kit. The last time I saw these for sale the price $250 seems to stick in my head. They originally sold for $150. If yours fits well and headspaces OK then you're well ahead of the game as many folk with these had to do quite a bit of fiddling around to get a functional kit. But once sorted out they supposedly had decent accuracy.
    I'd be curious to see how it works. Please post if you get range time with it.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    As supplied they are incomplete & so not usable.
    slip the tube in the bore (grease both well first) & see if the nut can be tightened on the muzzle. If not its doable, but a huge project.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    The flange on the chamber end is way thicker than a 303 rim and its easy to see by eye. I have a pretty good plan I think for making it work reliably. Its completely out of the scope of normal thinking for this sort of thing.

It-ll be entirely to much work for what Ill end up with more than likely, but I like fiddling around with stuff. I do have some other projects ahead of it for the time being.

Thanks for the feed back.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    As supplied they are incomplete & so not usable.
    slip the tube in the bore (grease both well first) & see if the nut can be tightened on the muzzle. If not its doable, but a huge project.

I had the opportunity to drop it into a Cogswell sporter that someone had over. The guy gave it to me but I would prefer a shortened rifle like a bushmaster style 03 so I wouldn't take it.

The tube dropped right in but the bolt is nowhere close to closing.

I would bore the breech out to completely accept the chamber end of the insert, then turn the bolt lugs down on the lathe.

The nut would tighten easily to the point that I could stretch the tube by using a wrench by not being careful.

If and when I do it that nut is going to have to be replaced with a flat disc that can be turned and tightened with a spanner that is turned to both accommodate the difference from the muzzle to the face of a rifle nose cap.
    Like a false muzzle.

This would allow me to target radially, use the LE front bedding lug to aid vertical adjustment and then when its done the barrel which would be pre drilled out parallel to the bore would have Acra glass forced into to it to dampen and support the tube longitude wise for accuracy.

In a pinch the long lug of a LE bolt on the starboard side could have a HS adjustment mechanism added into to it for different make rim thickness for 22 ammo increasing accuracy even further. Firing pin is round though so that should only have to be done to increase reliability.
    That would be as simple as a slotted block with two small screw to adjust. But however ruin a mounting location for a cheap Williams peep site unless it was cleverly incorporated somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom