• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigkach

May 20, 2020
    Reisterstown
    Echo miles 71. Shield is a great pistol. I have the std, older model and liked it a lot. Read the trigger on the 2.0 is better. Had the shield 45 that has the same rough grip and sanded the port side of the grip for carry against bare skin. Do yourself a favor and get a solid holster that allows reholstering without the top collapsing and maintains the gun securely. Don’t scrimp on the holster. Have fun with this gun.

I got a holster from bradec. Nice and snug
    5bcfe74710f0e984614d34da89901662.jpg

Bigant75

Jul 20, 2020
    So I'm buying my first gun been looking for a full size 9mm and these days its hard to find things in stock. Found a few options online that I like, they're on the MD roster but they come with 17 round mags. Are those just off limits to me or can the online store typically ship it with a 10 round mag? I tried calling and emailing the online store but I can't get a response, Im sure those guys are probably swamped these days. I'd hate to order it just to have the FFL end up sending it back, and charging me. Any body got any info that might be helpful?

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    So I'm buying my first gun been looking for a full size 9mm and these days its hard to find things in stock. Found a few options online that I like, they're on the MD roster but they come with 17 round mags. Are those just off limits to me or can the online store typically ship it with a 10 round mag? I tried calling and emailing the online store but I can't get a response, Im sure those guys are probably swamped these days. I'd hate to order it just to have the FFL end up sending it back, and charging me. Any body got any info that might be helpful?
    Some guns are avail with 10 rd mags. Thers not, or the dealer can’t be bothered. If no 10 rd mag avail, ask to ship without the mag. If i bought a 17 rd pistol supplied with a 10 rd mag,i’d be driving across the border to buy the larger mags. Thankfully, md is not the size of texas.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County

First of all, welcome to MDS.

Since this is your first post, I'd recommend that you go over to the Introductions section and introduce yourself to this group. I know that all of us will be glad to meet you and learn a little more about you.

The response to your question is not going to be black and white because there is no one answer. If you plan to purchase a handgun online, you will first need to check with the vendor to see what their policy is. Some vendors will not even ship the magazines to MD, so all they will send to your chosen FFL is the handgun minus the magazines. Others will ship the magazines but then your chosen FFL may decide not to give your the magazines, or may decide to give them to you but plugged so that you cannot load more than 10 rounds in it. Finally, some vendors (or FFL's) may agree to ship the magazines to an address in a state that allows 17 round magazines.

As you can see, there are too many variables to give you a simple answer, so the best answer I can give you is to talk to your vendor and your chosen FFL to find out what their policy is.

An even better piece of advice is for you to seek out a local gun shop and work with them to purchase your handgun. I think that unless you have someone helping you or you have prior experience, this is even more important when buying your first handgun. I know from my own experience that when I bought my first handgun, I would have been lost without the hand holding that an LGS did for me.

Let us know what you wind up getting. With pictures Inquiring minds want to know!

Again, welcome on board.

Cal68

Bigkach

May 20, 2020
    Reisterstown

Depending on the shop they might take apart your magazine and give it to you that way.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Congrats for successfully navigating the mental minefield of MD's HQL process, finding a pistol and then waiting another 7 days to take it home! I remember my first HQL purchase back in 2016:

7Sk0eDJ.jpg

I was looking for a CZ 75 Compact when I saw this P-01 at Atlantic Guns in Rockville. By the time I finished jumping thru all the bureaucratic hoops, finally being able to pick it up seemed almost anti-climactic.

You're wise to wait and not over-pay for a CZ. There's a lot of gouging going-on right now in the face of this pandemic-civil unrest-election year-BS but I believe things will eventually get back to normal again. The bad news is that it's gonna be hard for ya not to overpay for 9mm ammo. Range/practice ammo prices have doubled in the last month. I'm seeing $20-21 per box on Ammoseek for stuff I was paying $10-11 (with $0 tax and free shipping) for back in February.

Bigkach

May 20, 2020
    Reisterstown
    Congrats for successfully navigating the mental minefield of MD's HQL process, finding a pistol and then waiting another 7 days to take it home! I remember my first HQL purchase back in 2016:

7Sk0eDJ.jpg

I was looking for a CZ 75 Compact when I saw this P-01 at Atlantic Guns in Rockville. By the time I finished jumping thru all the bureaucratic hoops, finally being able to pick it up seemed almost anti-climactic.

You're wise to wait and not over-pay for a CZ. There's a lot of gouging going-on right now in the face of this pandemic-civil unrest-election year-BS but I believe things will eventually get back to normal again. The bad news is that it's gonna be hard for ya not to overpay for 9mm ammo. Range/practice ammo prices have doubled in the last month. I'm seeing $20-21 per box on Ammoseek for stuff I was paying $10-11 (with $0 tax and free shipping) for back in February.

I won’t lie. I overpaid for the shield. But not having to deal with finding a place with it in stock and hoping it’s still in stock when I order it. Then shipping and ffl fee I maybe overpaid by $50. I’m gonna need to buy overpriced ammo eventually.

Ilexopaca

Mar 4, 2012
    I won’t lie. I overpaid for the shield. But not having to deal with finding a place with it in stock and hoping it’s still in stock when I order it. Then shipping and ffl fee I maybe overpaid by $50. I’m gonna need to buy overpriced ammo eventually.

Don't sweat the cost. Been there. It's done. Just enjoy finding your groove with it! The only reason I really have pistols is because (for me) they are harder to shoot than rifles and I enjoy the challenge. I eventually got a CZ SP-01 but I still also really like the two pistols I bought in the run-up to it. And now I have a hankering for a S&W 686. It's all good!

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    P10c or regular 75

P10C is a nice gun. I've had no problems with mine. It's not picky about ammo - will shoot anything I throw at it just fine. Good grips, crisp trigger, and accurate too.

I haven't shot a 75, but have heard nothing but good things about them. I'm sure I'll take one home someday.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    The bad news is that it's gonna be hard for ya not to overpay for 9mm ammo. Range/practice ammo prices have doubled in the last month. I'm seeing $20-21 per box on Ammoseek for stuff I was paying $10-11 (with $0 tax and free shipping) for back in February.

Yeah, you're not kidding. I keep an eye on several sites and 9mm FMJ sells out within 10-15 minutes even at prices double or even triple pre-pandemic prices. The price on hollow points is inflated right now too.

And it's not just 9mm either. Seems like availability of just about everything is scarce and what's available is priced accordingly. I haven't gone to the range since before all this started - I'd hate to shoot what I have, because I may not be able to restock (or will have to pay an arm and a leg to do so).

PF Flyer

Sep 8, 2010
    I picked up an M&P Shield .40 cal on consignment from a reputable local shop, looks to be reasonably lightly used, with XS Sight Systems Big Dot sights. I put in a new stainless steel recoil spring. I picked it up a couple of weeks before the COVID-19 shutdown, so I've only been able to take it to the range four times so far, including today.

I've gotta say, I'm having trouble figuring this one out. So far, I'm always way, way,way low, even at distances as short as 6 yards. Yeah, I gotta admit I'm old school, love them wheel guns. But I'm not having anything close to this way, way, way low problem with my 9 mil or my 1911 .45 cal ACP. But then again, I've got big hands . . . . It might be time for me to get with an instructor to figure out what's going on in my head with the Shield .40 cal.

And as for CZs, my 9 mil is the CZ 75B Omega. And that one is as sweet as can be, if you ask me.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I picked up an M&P Shield .40 cal on consignment from a reputable local shop, looks to be reasonably lightly used, with XS Sight Systems Big Dot sights. I put in a new stainless steel recoil spring. I picked it up a couple of weeks before the COVID-19 shutdown, so I've only been able to take it to the range four times so far, including today.

I've gotta say, I'm having trouble figuring this one out. So far, I'm always way, way,way low, even at distances as short as 6 yards. Yeah, I gotta admit I'm old school, love them wheel guns. But I'm not having anything close to this way, way, way low problem with my 9 mil or my 1911 .45 cal ACP. But then again, I've got big hands . . . . It might be time for me to get with an instructor to figure out what's going on in my head with the Shield .40 cal.

And as for CZs, my 9 mil is the CZ 75B Omega. And that one is as sweet as can be, if you ask me.

As to low, maybe wrong height sites? Or anticipating recoil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom