• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Another thing that makes them unreadable is the constant use of hand sanitizer. The alcohol dries your hands and fingers, making the ridges decline or degrade. Whe we were on vacation 2 years ago in FL, my spouse was printed on Live Scan at a Sheriff's office to speed up her permit for a cross country RV trip we were taking a few months later. The tec added some lotion to her hands to help raise her fingerprint ridges. Worked on the first try after that.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Software should reject most of the unreadable fingerprints while they are being taken, but some still make it through.

Kramer

Rights Abused
    Jan 26, 2016
    Baltimore
    Hopefully Solved

Called the agency that did the fingerprinting originally.
    They said that she needs to come in and get reprinted.
    They would not charge anything.
    She needs to bring the letter she got with her.
    They submit the prints with the same number.
    The HQL application that is one file should not be affected
    other than possibly delayed.
    He said that it is not unusual for them to fail the 2nd time as
    well in which case there is an alternative name verification that is used.
    So hopefully it will all work out OK with a slight delay.
    -Kramer

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    Called the agency that did the fingerprinting originally.
    They said that she needs to come in and get reprinted.
    They would not charge anything.
    She needs to bring the letter she got with her.
    They submit the prints with the same number.
    The HQL application that is one file should not be affected
    other than possibly delayed.
    He said that it is not unusual for them to fail the 2nd time as
    well in which case there is an alternative name verification that is used.
    So hopefully it will all work out OK with a slight delay.
    -Kramer

This is right on. These rejections are VERY common. When using a livescan machine, it will give you a general idea of how readable the prints are but there's no way to tell if the FBI will accept them. Simply go in a second time and they'll redo the transaction under the same XH number listed on your receipt. They will likely fail, but you won't be required to submit anything further after the second set.

Kramer

Rights Abused
    Jan 26, 2016
    Baltimore
    This is right on. These rejections are VERY common. When using a livescan machine, it will give you a general idea of how readable the prints are but there's no way to tell if the FBI will accept them. Simply go in a second time and they'll redo the transaction under the same XH number listed on your receipt. They will likely fail, but you won't be required to submit anything further after the second set.

Thanks for the confirmation.
    -Kramer

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    I'd suggest have a LEO agency do them. I had mine done at the Laurel PD, the woman who did it ran some kind of test and actually redid one hand before she submitted them.

Moisturizer and oil can make prints unreadable. Some ladies have a habit of putting on lotion to keep their hands soft in winter. If she is in that habit, have her knock it off and wash her hands with comet or some kind of solvent so they are bone dry when you try for resubmission.

Don't the people who do the scanning look at the fingerprints?

I have been finger printed dozens of times for various reasons, and I am surprised they let her submit shitty prints. Usually the various software that takes the prints wont let you save or submit them if the quality is too low.

I use to have a hard time due to some sweaty ass hands, but as I mentioned, they would just keep on making me redo until the computer accepted the prints.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    So you are saying she can go back to the same private detective agency and have them rescan her prints and submit them and the current HQL app that is on file will continue to process?
    -Kramer

Yes. It's happened to me twice. From working with my hands for so many years I hVe a problem getting good prints done. I've never been rejected on the second submission.

Kramer

Rights Abused
    Jan 26, 2016
    Baltimore
    My wife went in and got her prints done again, no charge. They had trouble with two of the smaller fingers. But managed to get the computer to accept them. So now we cross our fingers and hope the HQL goes through.
    -Kramer

GregSB

Feb 20, 2013
    I have a friend going through the same problem except his were rejected a second time. He got the same exact letter. It says on the bottom that after the second rejection there is a $14.75 fee to continue the application. Is this really the case? if so, how or where do you pay? I will have to call them Monday.

Kramer

Rights Abused
    Jan 26, 2016
    Baltimore
    I have a friend going through the same problem except his were rejected a second time. He got the same exact letter. It says on the bottom that after the second rejection there is a $14.75 fee to continue the application. Is this really the case? if so, how or where do you pay? I will have to call them Monday.
    So what finally happened with my wife is this...
    She went back to the agency (private investigators) and they rescanned and re-submitted her prints. No charge. I think they then rejected those, but at that point they have some fallback method to "ID" her and used that. In the end it did not cost us anymore money. And her HQL came in the mail the same day mine did even though mine went through "smoothly".
    -Kramer

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I was printed 3 times for a CT CCW permit. The finger print vendor said they looked fine and the machine said they were ok. They were rejected twice as unreadable by CSP.

The third set were accepted. I've been printed many many times for NFA items or other state CCW permits without a single issue.

It happens. Sometimes it's the FBI and sometimes it's the state criminal bureau reading the prints.

IF it doesn't cost you any more money I wouldn't worry about it.

Draeger204

Whiplash
    Sep 8, 2015
    Rockville, MD
    Like dutiful Maryland sheeple, my wife and I took our HQL class from Gambler, shelled out $50 each to get fingerprinted like a criminal and applied for our HQL. Today my wife got a letter from the "Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services". Nothing like getting a letter from them to make you feel like a criminal. They claim the FBI has rejected her fingerprints because "The quality of characteristics is too low to be used. (Determined by the FBI's Automated Fingerprint Identification System)".

We both got fingerprinted at a private detective agency used by many others (they do it at Freestate on weekends). So far I have not gotten a similar letter.

I have attached a scan of the letter (with personal info blocked out). This was all that was in the envelope.

Has anyone else encountered this? What should she do?
    -Kramer
    That is very common for females using Livescan finger printing services. Sometimes the old technology is better, but this is what MD chose for expediting HQL processing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom