• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kramer

Rights Abused
    Jan 26, 2016
    Baltimore
    Like dutiful Maryland sheeple, my wife and I took our HQL class from Gambler, shelled out $50 each to get fingerprinted like a criminal and applied for our HQL. Today my wife got a letter from the "Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services". Nothing like getting a letter from them to make you feel like a criminal. They claim the FBI has rejected her fingerprints because "The quality of characteristics is too low to be used. (Determined by the FBI's Automated Fingerprint Identification System)".

We both got fingerprinted at a private detective agency used by many others (they do it at Freestate on weekends). So far I have not gotten a similar letter.

I have attached a scan of the letter (with personal info blocked out). This was all that was in the envelope.

Has anyone else encountered this? What should she do?
    -Kramer

Attachments

• fingerprints.jpg
      fingerprints.jpg
      86.4 KB · Views: 1,270

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I'd suggest have a LEO agency do them. I had mine done at the Laurel PD, the woman who did it ran some kind of test and actually redid one hand before she submitted them.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Don't the people who do the scanning look at the fingerprints?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I'd take the letter back to the people you paid and ask them for a free do over.

Anyone who knows what they are doing would have known the prints weren't good enough.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I'd suggest have a LEO agency do them. I had mine done at the Laurel PD, the woman who did it ran some kind of test and actually redid one hand before she submitted them.

Same here at Carroll County Sheriff's Office. Lady doing my digital prints redid several of mine until she was satisfied with the quality.

Kramer

Rights Abused
    Jan 26, 2016
    Baltimore
    OK, all these "do them over" suggestions are fine, but does this mean she has to submit a new HQL application (and pay a 2nd fee, and start the 30 day clock again--it has been 12 days since she applied)? Can she get the same place to redo and submit using the same number somehow so she doesn't have to apply a second time?
    -Kramer

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    OK, all these "do them over" suggestions are fine, but does this mean she has to submit a new HQL application (and pay a 2nd fee, and start the 30 day clock again--it has been 12 days since she applied)? Can she get the same place to redo and submit using the same number somehow so she doesn't have to apply a second time?
    -Kramer

The directions are on the letter. If you wait more than 60 days, yes. Otherwise, follow the directions. She is not the first to have the problem.

Kramer

Rights Abused
    Jan 26, 2016
    Baltimore
    The directions are on the letter. If you wait more than 60 days, yes. Otherwise, follow the directions. She is not the first to have the problem.

So you are saying she can go back to the same private detective agency and have them rescan her prints and submit them and the current HQL app that is on file will continue to process?
    -Kramer

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    So you are saying she can go back to the same private detective agency and have them rescan her prints and submit them and the current HQL app that is on file will continue to process?
    -Kramer

"Please submit another set of fingerprints on the enclosed application. The original application along with the new application and a copy of this letter must be returned within 60 days".

Kramer

Rights Abused
    Jan 26, 2016
    Baltimore
    "Please submit another set of fingerprints on the enclosed application. The original application along with the new application and a copy of this letter must be returned within 60 days".

Yes, well there was NO ENCLOSED APPLICATION!
    Only thing in envelope was the letter I scanned and posted.
    So that is out.
    -Kramer

Kramer

Rights Abused
    Jan 26, 2016
    Baltimore
    x2 OP sorry about your wifes ordeal...just one of the 1000000000 reason the hql and other idiotic maryland gun laws are redundant and a infringement on our fundamental rights as americans

Thanks, and I totally agree. She was very upset and asked "do you think I just won't be allowed to get a pistol." Makes me sick.
    -Kramer

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Since it's all done online, I bet the fingerprint people can just produce a new control number for you to submit online.

She def isn't the first or the last who's finger prints didn't go through first time. When I got my Florida CCW, mine got rejected.

Just give them a call or stop by, they should know what to do. Shouldn't be a big deal.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Yeah while I'll agree the HQL and the hoops to jump through suck but this isn't some crazy massive mistake that's one of a kind.

Hire a lawyer.......if you want to waste money

Or

Just get them done again and then you can tell us about the news toys you get :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom