• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dontallo

Crotchety Old Guy Who Owns Too Many Guns
    Feb 13, 2020
    Sarver, PA 16055
    I am new to MD and have been told that MD requires me to pass some class on basic firearm safety and demonstrate that I know which end of a pistol goes bang and can put a hole in a piece of paper a couple yards away.

Any recommendations? I don't want to drive too far. I am in Annapolis about a mile from the Navy stadium.

Thanks for the advice.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Are you planning to buy your first handgun, or do you already own one?

The HQL is only required to buy a handgun (take possession of). It is not required to buy a handgun 50 years old or older ("C&R eligible").

If you already own a handgun, you are exempt from the training.

Your ARs and AKM might exempt you: I'm not sure. But any handgun exempts you. I'm sure you could "register" a black powder cap and ball revolver, or even a flintlock, and use that for your HQL training exemption.

If you feel you need to or want to take the class, I'm sure someone can recommend one or more Industry Partners for the training.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I am new to MD and have been told that MD requires me to pass some class on basic firearm safety and demonstrate that I know which end of a pistol goes bang and can put a hole in a piece of paper a couple yards away.

Any recommendations? I don't want to drive too far. I am in Annapolis about a mile from the Navy stadium.

Thanks for the advice.

As I mentioned the other day, your handguns make you training exempt for the HQL, which is only needed to purchase a handgun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom