Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > The Depot
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old July 7th, 2018, 08:38 PM #1

Having a gun shipped to a local FFL

I have seen many neat deals online for guns, but have wondered about having it shipped to my local FFL who is also a LGS. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but do they get upset if you ask them to receive a gun that you are buying from someone else when they sell the same thing? For example, there is a thread here in the depot about Palmetto selling the Ruger American 9mm for $250. The FFL that I would be having it shipped to also sells it, but has it listed for over $200 more. Just wondering what kind of reaction I would receive trying to set up that deal.
KJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2018, 08:41 PM #2

It's going to vary shop to shop. Best to ask before buying online.
gwchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2018, 08:46 PM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwchem View Post
It's going to vary shop to shop. Best to ask before buying online.
Definitely do this, but often the transfer fee makes it worthwhile for the LGS.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2018, 08:46 PM #4

I would think since they’re getting a transfer fee they probably wouldn’t care. Obviously it’s better for local businesses if you buy directly from them but that’s the power of being a consumer. If they say they’ll transfer for you and you’d rather buy online then go for it. If they don’t go to another LGS that’s good with doing it.
ClutchyMcClutcherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2018, 09:07 PM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchyMcClutcherson View Post
I would think since theyíre getting a transfer fee they probably wouldnít care. Obviously itís better for local businesses if you buy directly from them but thatís the power of being a consumer. If they say theyíll transfer for you and youíd rather buy online then go for it. If they donít go to another LGS thatís good with doing it.
This. Their FFL, they can say no. Donít get pissy about it and they probably wonít be pissy with you. Some LGS wonít transfer something (new) that they also sell in their shop. Some will.

I would expect youíll need to buy their barrel lock or bring your own. Donít expect them to loan you one. Just FYI.

PS I hate asking that kind of stuff so when Iíve transferred things, it has only been stuff they didnít have for sale. But I know a few guys who buy stuff all the time and have it transferred. A lot of times though you are talking saving $50 or $60. Maybe a whole $100 by buying it online. Then you have $15-25 in shipping and then maybe $40-60 in transfer fees and possibly needing to buy a $15-20 barrel lock.

Where as buying it from the LGS is $100 more, but no tacked on transfer fees, they have it there that day and can start the 7-day wait and they might loan you the barrel lock to return the next day. Oh and no shipping.

Now of course if shipping is free, you have a barrel lock and they are willing to do the transfer for cheap...buy online!

Just mentioning a lot of times it might not be as much of a deal as you thought (why I still havenít gotten a 92s, as I know it is probably going to run me $100 extra over sticker price when all is said and done).
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2018, 09:42 PM #6
Vote SG For King

Vote SG For King

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJackson View Post
I have seen many neat deals online for guns, but have wondered about having it shipped to my local FFL who is also a LGS. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but do they get upset if you ask them to receive a gun that you are buying from someone else when they sell the same thing? For example, there is a thread here in the depot about Palmetto selling the Ruger American 9mm for $250. The FFL that I would be having it shipped to also sells it, but has it listed for over $200 more. Just wondering what kind of reaction I would receive trying to set up that deal.
New MDS IP Masada Tactical (Pikesville) has the following policy...
If it is something they stock and sell at a competitive price, they will not do outside transfers. Three examples:
1- You found Firearm X for $499 online and they have it in stock for $529, they will not do an outside transfer.
2- I bought a S&W Shield from PSA for $275 (minus $75 rebate). They acknowledged knowing about the PSA deal and said their cost was well over PSA's retail- they did the transfer.
3- Any oddball gun can be transferred there.

That is one shop's policy. As others have stated, check with the local FFL before buying online.

EDIT- For a $250 Ruger American, I would talk to Baltimore's Best Pawn or take the trip to the other end of 795 and talk to Masada. (Masada's transfers are cheaper, but involves an additional 45 minute travel time x2)
Old July 7th, 2018, 09:43 PM #7
One ragged donut hole

One ragged donut hole

What Lazarus said. The mail order to FFL thing mostly helps on high dollar items where margins can be a few hundred dollars and it might be harder to obtain the less common item locally.
CMOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2018, 09:57 PM #8

on gunbroker there is a page where FFL's are listed that accept transfers, think it's by zip code. great way to find someone local who welcomes transfers, and it usually lists their rates so easy to shop around. of course, you should def call the intended shop first.
davsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2018, 10:21 PM #9

Consult your prospective FFLs first. Policies and fees vary.

Figure in shipping and transfer fees ( +/- $50 ) , and popular currently produced guns need to be on screaming sale to come much ahead of shopping around with IP's .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2018, 11:07 PM #10

Some guys love it. They don't have to spend any time to track down the gun you want, or carry it on their credit card. Just handle some paperwork and take your money. Others don't seem to want that business. Gotta ask first.

I know Bud's for instance, has a list of FFL's that have already agreed to take shipments, and show their transfer fees in advance. I'd still call ahead, though.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > The Depot