• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 17, 2009
    Picked this up from Dicks for the gf for Christmas Rem 597
    IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0129.jpg

Heard some negative things about them after I bought it. Gonna be her first gun,hope it isn't a pos. Had to send it in to classic arms for the front sight being loose,got it back disassembled and sight still loose,really upset with remingtons customer service got Hung up on at least a dozen times by a computer,should have been a simple fix but now it has to be sent out again. Overall feels like a great quality gun hope it performs well.Also very happy with Dick's in Glen Burnie,gun was $30 under retail had to order it from the supplier and it was in 4 days later Def. will buy from them again.

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    Was going to get a 597 for my wife to shoot, until she took a liking to the Henry lever action we now have. Before then, however, I'd read up on the 597s.

The early models had some issues with their magazines. I recall the first models had plastic mags. Later models get metal mags, then those got a redesign, and most of those issues went away.

The other major issue was people over tightening the guide rails. When over tightened the rails bow outward, causing the bolt to catch and fail to extract properly.

I was looking forward to getting a 597 and keeping it properly 'tuned.' But, as I said, my wife spotted that Henry, and that was that.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    There's something about the way all of the guns seems to be surrounding that Remington...

SKS: "Hehro beautiful! You come to range with me? We shoot much."
    Mossberg: "Don't go payin' no attention to that Commie, darlin'. We American guns gotta stick together. Ya mind if I rub a little Remoil on yer action? I only use the finest for you."

Feb 17, 2009
    Got out to AGC finally,she loved it,I wasnt too fond of the trigger it just felt cheap.
    419171_567583918120_299901125_1131716_304583206_n.jpg

She liked my new M4 better though, :cool:
    431543_567584077800_299901125_1131717_1970189226_n.jpg

And I'm loving it.
    429482_567583349260_299901125_1131711_1378697334_n.jpg

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    ya both need eye protection

Eye protection is a must. You may not have had a primer blow on you, but it will happen. It may not even be your own gun that causes the issue. You are only issued two eyes and two ears.

The club I belonged to back home had the pistol ranges to the left, center were the trap/skeet fields and on the right was the rifle range. I was on the pistol range when we heard of an accident on one of the trap/skeet fields.

An O/U went off when the shooter closed the gun. Shouldn't happen, but it did. The muzzle was pointed at the ground at an angle. The pellets didn't hit anyone but they kicked up some asphalt. No one went to the hospital but at least one person had taken gravel in the face.

We don't know when or where it will happen, but it will.

Feb 17, 2009
    I do for shotgun and larger caliber rifles,just can't justify it for a 22. Actually had a primer blow in my ar15 it was the cheap tul ammo, luckily nothing happened gun contained it,did a visual check on the gun and it fed another 100 rounds just fine.

mom

Mar 1, 2012
    Harford County
    There's something about the way all of the guns seems to be surrounding that Remington...

SKS: "Hehro beautiful! You come to range with me? We shoot much."
    Mossberg: "Don't go payin' no attention to that Commie, darlin'. We American guns gotta stick together. Ya mind if I rub a little Remoil on yer action? I only use the finest for you."

Thanks, now I have to clean the iced tea off of my computer!:lol2::lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom