• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 17, 2009
    I bought a Fred Bear Sparrowhawk II off ebay about 2 years ago,wish I had done more research.Want to do some deer hunting this year and want to know if 50lbs if enough to take one out and what is the maximum effective range?Would like a crossbow but cant afford it now.Thanks guys.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Yes more then enough... Range all depends on your ability and confidence. I am only comfortable shooting at a deer out to 30 yards.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I bought a Fred Bear Sparrowhawk II off ebay about 2 years ago,wish I had done more research.Want to do some deer hunting this year and want to know if 50lbs if enough to take one out and what is the maximum effective range?Would like a crossbow but cant afford it now.Thanks guys.

Is that Uncle Ted in your avatar? If so he boast about shooting his girly 48 pound bow

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Don't forget to wait so that they point in the direction of your truck when you shoot them. It is labor saving when they run and then lay down right next to where you parked.

The second deer i shot last year with my X bow actually died on the 4 wheeler trail!

That was the one time i wish i had a Staples "that was easy" button :rolleyes:

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    The only real benefit I can see from a 70lb bow is penetration. More likely to get a through and through with a faster bow then a lower poundage one. But like others have said 45lbs is plenty, heart or lungs they will die.

Btw you may want to experiment with arrow and broadhead weights as that can really help with distance and/or penetration. I shoot 125 grain broadheads out of my crossbow. Goes through deer like butter.

Feb 17, 2009
    The only real benefit I can see from a 70lb bow is penetration. More likely to get a through and through with a faster bow then a lower poundage one. But like others have said 45lbs is plenty, heart or lungs they will die.

Btw you may want to experiment with arrow and broadhead weights as that can really help with distance and/or penetration. I shoot 125 grain broadheads out of my crossbow. Goes through deer like butter.
    Got it. Picked up a dozen red head carbon arrows and 125 grain field points where I got the bow and lost half of them when I first started.Need to pick up some more arrows and broad heads any recommendations on inexpensive broad heads?

Feb 17, 2009
    Is that Uncle Ted in your avatar? If so he boast about shooting his girly 48 pound bow
    Yea that's Ted,whole reason I bought the bow was because of him,like I said should have done more research.Eventuality it will be a hand me down to my gf hopefully when I get a better one hahahaha.Eager to take my first deer especially if its with a bow.Thanks for all the responses!!

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    with a 50# bow you are best to stay with cut on contact B.H. and stay away from the mechanical ones. they take some energy to open and with a lighter weight bow it will take away from the penatration some.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Got it. Picked up a dozen red head carbon arrows and 125 grain field points where I got the bow and lost half of them when I first started.Need to pick up some more arrows and broad heads any recommendations on inexpensive broad heads?

I have heard nothing but great things about Slick trick broadheads, they are cheap, fly like a field point and are very sharp. As someone said above stick to a cut on contact as the expandables need some decent kinetic energy to ensure they open.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    I used a 50 lb bow for years until 3 years ago and just used plain ole 100 grain thunderheads. Took plenty of deer with that combination. I don't see the need for 125 grain tips unless you are shooting a crossbow bolt which is much shorter and thicker in comparison with an arrow. Honestly it doesn't matter if you practice enough. The more expensive tips only matter for the bad shots (which none of us every have ;)) Hoyt Mystic Rebel was the bow I used. Standard plastic rest with brass pin sights and a big aluminum straight stock stabilizer. I only upgraded my bow so that I could go out archery elk hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom