• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Everyone knows the big bucks in Maryland are behind the fence at NIST off of 270.

Today as i was driving home and i looked into the woods and fields as I always do i saw someone walking in the woods in full camo. My immediate thought was that its a bow hunter. So that begs the question, who hunts the NIST property?

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I’m extremely interested in cracking this code. It seems like the answer is “no one” since there are always so many deer there!

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I know that in the past they've tried birth control (through feed and dart-applied, if I recall), and have at least once or twice had a kill-'em-dead-cull-the-herd deployment. Used some Park Service people, if memory serves. They're not going to let us private folks use lethal weapons around on the grounds of that federal facility, right up against a highway and two major suburban roads. Would be great if it was a lottery, the way they sometimes handle some state/county parks when the Bambi infestation gets too far along. Interested to hear if there's been any changes over the years. Because there are some very low-stress bucks living in that gated deer and groundhog community.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Probably a hunter who works there but is high up on the food chain and can do whatever they want on campus without any repercussions!!!!!

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Years ago, my first real job was at Watkins Johnson, just across the street (Quince Orchard Road). I used to be able to sit in my office and watch big fat bucks lay up against the cool concrete building and mill around like they didn't have a care in the world.

Lightning strikes on the tall building also made for a great show.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fed property. Fed officers likely get the hunt if even OK'd to take out deer.

This goes along the lines of how park officers will hunt some park properties.

I will ask as i may have a contact high up there.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    not happening

they don't allow hunting of any kind, i worked there as a contractor.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    There used to be a section of fence with a hole in it neighboring the pond along Muddy Branch Rd. We’d see some nice deer come through there. You’d get some monsters in the forest when Nat Geo still owned the property adjacent to NIST and Izzak Walton pond

Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    Nobody those deer are treated as pets. I have been told they even have names. They used keep a deer feeder on the 270 side you could see from the interstate

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Like in Shenandoah park, they bring in fed officer snipers to do night cullings and the meat is donated.

They have to do it because they get too plentiful, but NO-ONE is ever going to be allowed to actually hunt there :/

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Makes me wonder who the guy in camo was. :shrug:

Don't forget that all sorts of other agencies/entities conduct experiments, training, tests, and other activities on those grounds. Could have been someone doing anything from testing surveillance camera technology to watching bird nests. Various LEO operations conduct K9/SAR training/tests there. You never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom