• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Stg58 is metric and was built by FN early on. Steyr produced them later. They would not qualify as a Commonwealth pattern gun.

The STG 58 was the Austrian designation but they were FN FALs to start.

Stephen M

Jan 20, 2013
    MoCo
    Per the folks on FAL files, the bolt, carrier, barrel, and magazines from a metric FAL will all work with an inch L1A1. And Century made (arguably) working guns from a mishmash of inch and metric parts. I wouldn't want to be the test case for an L1A1 not being a copy of an FAL, by whatever standard the AG decided to apply that day.

My preferred path would be a 15.75" barrel pistol build on a metric receiver with a brace. Actually, my preferred path would be to have bought an FAL before 2013.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As soon as you mentioned this, the L1A1 came to mind as an easy work around. If we could only we could do the same for the AUG. That was my great white whale in the events leading up to FSA2013.

Same here.

I should have paid 2A for an AUG purchase order. :(

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Per the folks on FAL files, the bolt, carrier, barrel, and magazines from a metric FAL will all work with an inch L1A1. And Century made (arguably) working guns from a mishmash of inch and metric parts. I wouldn't want to be the test case for an L1A1 not being a copy of an FAL, by whatever standard the AG decided to apply that day.

My preferred path would be a 15.75" barrel pistol build on a metric receiver with a brace. Actually, my preferred path would be to have bought an FAL before 2013.

The AG letter that is out, says any one part. And by any, it is read that if any one part cannot be swapped, it is not a copy.

L1A1 takes different mags. :)

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    This is a stretch, but maybe.

Why don't we make a case for the Yugo M70? There isn't much that interchanges between the yugo pattern and soviet AKM/AK47.

Feb 28, 2013

Why don't we make a case for the Yugo M70? There isn't much that interchanges between the yugo pattern and soviet AKM/AK47.

Problem with that is the "in any format" and "in all forms" phrases in the naughty list.

putneyswope

Dismember
    Aug 7, 2010
    I thought there was a Maryland legal ak variant with an adjustable gas valve and an AR15 magazine adapter...

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Brazilian 5.56 variant of the FAL. They use a rotating bolt, so they're not even an FAL style action. The MD-3 was imported in extremely small numbers by SAI as the SAR-4800.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMBEL_MD

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMBEL_MD97

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/85269-for-fn-fal-lovers-lookie-what-i-scored/

Because it's still an "Avtomat Kalashnikov style semi auto rifle" or however it's worded.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    As soon as you mentioned this, the L1A1 came to mind as an easy work around. If we could only we could do the same for the AUG. That was my great white whale in the events leading up to FSA2013.

There is the MSAR STG-556. It is not a AUG clone because few parts are interchangeable. They went out of business in May of last year but there are still rifles available. They even made a model with a 20" barrel that takes AR mags.

That model would probably make 29" but something would need to be done for the 16" model.

Rumors of someone buying the tooling and keeping these in production.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/STG-556

I saw one today at the York show. It was very cool.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have both Augs and Msars even though they look the same many of the parts are not interchangeable. The bolts and carrier's are both different and will not fit. The trigger packs ( even the the components are the same) will not swap into the others stock .I could be wrong but wasn't the MSAR listed on the naughty list?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I checked before I posted. Definitely not on the list. The only problems seem to be the OAL for the 16" barreled model and the availability of spare parts.

What do you think about this rifle?

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I like them a lot !! Ratworks has a lot of parts for them . They at 1 time made both 18.5and 20 inch barrels. Very smooth shooters as well as tac drivers. There were some function issues with the first few hundred from what I had read. But the 1s I have , Haved worked without issues even with steel case ammo. I personally see them as a bargin for the price. And the machine work is nicer on them than the forged receiver of the Aug .

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I like them a lot !! Ratworks has a lot of parts for them . They at 1 time made both 18.5and 20 inch barrels. Very smooth shooters as well as tac drivers. There were some function issues with the first few hundred from what I had read. But the 1s I have , Haved worked without issues even with steel case ammo. I personally see them as a bargin for the price. And the machine work is nicer on them than the forged receiver of the Aug .

Thank you.

That is good to know. This seems to be the only option dor me since I missed the deadline in a AUG.

If the 18'5" barrel meets the 29" OAL, that would be great. If it took AR mags, even better.

I clearly need to do some more research.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    1s with the XM17 stocks use AR15 mags. With a little bit of filing ( a very little bit) the magpul mags work in them.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    On a 16" barrel they measures 28 1/8 it would be crazy easy to make a 1 inch rubber block and bolt it to the removable but pad to 29 1/8

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom