Mandatory headlight use on US-50 between US-13 and MD-90...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 28, 2013
    :wtf:

What's with the "mandatory headlight" crap on 50 between Salisbury and Whaleyville? Anyone else think this is all shades of stupid?

I can see it on 404 on the two lane stretches, but that stretch of 50 is straight as an arrow, flat as a pancake, and the median is so damn wide and full of trees that you can't even see the other side. And that's leavin' aside the complete absurdity of doin' this dumb shit on a divided highway to begin with.

Legalities notwhithstanding, if yer such a flippin' moron and so terrified that you have to drive with yer headlights on through there at high noon, do me and millions of others a big damn favor and stay home. I have to dodge enough idiots for a livin' as it is.:rant2:

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    They did that on Rt-1 in Harford county after several big accidents (head on) but then they put up guard rail in the center....but you still need headlights...

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Cross streets maybe? I'm not a fan of nanny-state BS. I don't like that I can't turn my bikes headlight off but realistically turning on my headlights is at the very bottom of my shit I mind doing

Feb 28, 2013
    Cross streets maybe? I'm not a fan of nanny-state BS. I don't like that I can't turn my bikes headlight off but realistically turning on my headlights is at the very bottom of my shit I mind doing

True, but the issue I have is that it never ends.

I believe the following was said about the NRA by the impeached, disbarred pervert, paraphrasin' of course...

"They are against anything that requires anyone to do anything as a member of society that helps to make it safer".

...Fast forward to today, we have a whole society full of mind-numb drones that need the gooberment to save them from themselves in ways like this.

Gee, how in the hell do they survive up on 113 between Georgetown and Millsboro without such stupidity in place, with it being narrower AND a little busier?:rolleyes:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Since it's mandatory to turn your headlights on when you use your wipers and I see only about 50-80% compliance with that, I'm not too convinced it's going to be followed. On the other hand, MSP patrols that stretch like they own it.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    True, but the issue I have is that it never ends.

I believe the following was said about the NRA by the impeached, disbarred pervert, paraphrasin' of course...

"They are against anything that requires anyone to do anything as a member of society that helps to make it safer".

...Fast forward to today, we have a whole society full of mind-numb drones that need the gooberment to save them from themselves in ways like this.

Gee, how in the hell do they survive up on 113 between Georgetown and Millsboro without such stupidity in place, with it being narrower AND a little busier?:rolleyes:

:thumbsup::mad54:

JVP409

Jan 31, 2013
    Bel Air
    Do people just go out looking for things to get upset or offended by? Really? Turning headlights on gets people upset?

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    well if you ever go driving in Canada, it is the law of the land there to have your headlights on at all times.

even before the advent of daylight running lamps I always have driven with my headlamps on. it helps the morons on their cell phone to see you as they drift into your lane, and also helps the people who glance out of habit but don't actually look see that there is a car there. IDK about you, but i'll do anything that is trivial in difficulty and effort to give me a better shot of not being a traffic statistic.

the human eye is a light detector, and having your lights on helps the brain track the objects movement much better. I don't feel like finding links to scientifically support the facts and my opinions at the moment, but they are out there on the interwebz. if I remember correctly lights on car is like 5 times more likely to be seen than car without lights on by the human eye in peripheral vision.

law or not, it is good practice to have your lights on.

Feb 28, 2013
    Do people just go out looking for things to get upset or offended by? Really? Turning headlights on gets people upset?

No.

Bein' legally mandated to dumb myself down to the lowest common denominator because the lowest common denominator is too stupid to drive on a straight flat stretch of highway in the daytime without hittin' things offends me.

Next. :cool:

well if you ever go driving in Canada, it is the law of the land there to have your headlights on at all times.

even before the advent of daylight running lamps I always have driven with my headlamps on. it helps the morons on their cell phone to see you as they drift into your lane, and also helps the people who glance out of habit but don't actually look see that there is a car there. IDK about you, but i'll do anything that is trivial in difficulty and effort to give me a better shot of not being a traffic statistic.

Yeah well, last I looked this is ain't Canada.

**** Canada, since it's full of nanny state lovin' candy asses anyway.

the human eye is a light detector, and having your lights on helps the brain track the objects movement much better. I don't feel like finding links to scientifically support the facts and my opinions at the moment, but they are out there on the interwebz. if I remember correctly lights on car is like 5 times more likely to be seen than car without lights on by the human eye in peripheral vision.

law or not, it is good practice to have your lights on.

....So's flushin' yer commode after you use it. That don't mean we need a law to that effect.

Next. :cool:

JVP409

Jan 31, 2013
    Bel Air
    You are right..... It's a slippery slope.......first headlights....then what.....I heard Hitler and Stalin started by making people put their headlights on. Thanks for keeping us all safe from tyranny.

Next

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Yes the cross streets. A car on a straight path to you can be harder to see when paying less attention. Especially a dark car with all the green there. If a car is moving laterally to you, you can see the movement . Lights help some but not a panacea for the true causes.
    But hard to fix the true issue of people taking the time to be more careful.

Feb 28, 2013
    You are right..... It's a slippery slope.......first headlights....then what.....I heard Hitler and Stalin started by making people put their headlights on. Thanks for keeping us all safe from tyranny.

Next

Other than the ridiculous comparison to Hitler and Stalin, it IS a slippery slope.

The elitist politician's mentality behind this sort of thing, along with people's mindless acceptance of it, is why the formerly Free State is in the pathetic condition that it's in.

We all know assault weapon bans are surely no crime panacea either, but hey, if it saves ONE life....

Maybe you need YOUR hand held by nanny state libtards to get through the day, but the rest of us can survive just fine without it.:cool:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I generally drive with lights on whether or not it's mandated, why not make yourself as visible as possible to avoid a head-on or T-bone. part of this comes from riding motorcycles where everyone is pretty much out to get you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom