• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    Just for the record, I was making a joke. ;) :thumbsup:

ha sorry just woke up from a nap. slept a couple hours last night and had to be at work super early and i've been kind of a slowpoke all day. both wits and actual speed haha

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Wow, good one, blaster. Gotta love it!

OP, have you considered a molding or light narrow shelf an inch or two under the bar? The the weight of the mags can sit on the shelf and the magnet is used to keep them in place.

That suggested, I lay mine out on the front of each pistol shelf or the main accessory shelf. I don't think anything is ideal, just being able to adapt to the 'population density and demographics' within the safe so things are orderly and sufficiently acquirable.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    ammo in the safe isn't safe. house catches fire, temp inside the safe gets to the flashpoint and bango, inside the safe ruined and the contents. just sayin'

Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    ammo in the safe isn't safe. house catches fire, temp inside the safe gets to the flashpoint and bango, inside the safe ruined and the contents. just sayin'

Yeah I've worried about that for a long time, but storage space outside the safe is limited for now until we get our own house. Even when I do have room to spread out and keep bulk ammo out of the safe (and get a bigger safe with a better fire protection rating), I'll still want to keep some loaded mags on standby for SHTF/zombie apocalypse type scenarios lol

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah I've worried about that for a long time, but storage space outside the safe is limited for now until we get our own house. Even when I do have room to spread out and keep bulk ammo out of the safe (and get a bigger safe with a better fire protection rating), I'll still want to keep some loaded mags on standby for SHTF/zombie apocalypse type scenarios lol
    Here is how I store stuff:
    1. Loaded mags: plastic "ammo cans". There is not a significant cook-off risk with loaded mags.
    2. Bulk ammo: real ammo cans, or in original sealed tins. These are designed to contain cook-offs.
    3. Guns: gun safe.

All of this is behind a code-locked door. The door is not quite as heavy duty as I'd like, but it's secure enough to keep people out.

Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    I went with the long magnet that normally holds tools. $12 each at Home Depot. Very powerful too. Actually I have to fight with it to get my all-steel mags off the rack lol. Thanks for the recommendation! Now I'm using the neodymium magnets on the fridge haha

strapped

Aug 27, 2012
    Carroll County
    Just for the record, I was making a joke. ;) :thumbsup:

He doesn't have a good sense of humor, trust me I know!!

Butcher- What about some type of mag organizer like they have at the Ned range? A few of those on the door or in a shelf would work. For the record they have packs of those rare earth magnets on Amazon for cheap.

strapped

Aug 27, 2012
    Carroll County
    I went with the long magnet that normally holds tools. $12 each at Home Depot. Very powerful too. Actually I have to fight with it to get my all-steel mags off the rack lol. Thanks for the recommendation! Now I'm using the neodymium magnets on the fridge haha

Post pics. Trying to do something to organize mags on my ammo shelf.

Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    g1oluQ.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads