• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shinobi

Jan 4, 2011
    Calvert County
    Has anyone seen any inexpensive M1 Garands in a Maryland gun shop? I'm not looking for a super accurized rifle or anything, just an M1 Garand for my collection. Under $1000 would be great. Also, are they cash and carry?

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    Honestly, I dont think you can find a nicer M1 for a better price than CMP. It will take a few months to get it, but IMO worth it. I think service grades are $625 + $25 shipping or so and comes with a case. They also have a special grade that have new barrels and stocks etc for $995.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    CMP service grade will cost you 650 to your door and most are In great shape. If you want to save 100 bucks you could go with a field grade but the service grades are the best deal going.

If you want you can send me a pm and we can discuss ot futher... do not buy one locally you will likely pay hunders more for a lesser rifle.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Don't bother trying to buy a low end shooter M1 at a gun store. M1 prices are heavily inflated. You'll pay $800-1100 for the equivalent of a low end Field Grade, possibly even a 80's/90's ROK import with a shot out barrel, worn out op rod tab, out of spec receiver, and import marks so deep the barrel is out of round.

Shinobi

Jan 4, 2011
    Calvert County
    Thanks. I was looking at the CMP web site. As a Marylander, what exactly would I have to do to get one? (For example they talk about needing permit for states that require permits) Also, for what it's worth, I'm an active duty Soldier at Aberdeen Proving Ground and can provide DD 214s etc. I am a Maryland resident and live in a normal house off post.

Last edited:

Redcat

Curmudgeon
    Oct 4, 2008
    Severn, MD
    Shinobi -

All the requirements are right here - http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/eligibility.htm

Since you are Active duty, all requirements to be a member of a club and show marksmanship activity are waived, so basically you need to fill out the forms, get them notarized, and include a copy of your birth certificate (or passport) and your ID Card to order a rifle.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Shinobi -

All the requirements are right here - http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/eligibility.htm

Since you are Active duty, all requirements to be a member of a club and show marksmanship activity are waived, so basically you need to fill out the forms, get them notarized, and include a copy of your birth certificate (or passport) and your ID Card to order a rifle.

:thumbsup:

This is all you need to get yourself a great piece of history and a fun rifle to shoot!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Just to clarify:

Maryland does not restrict the Garand in any way. It's in the same legal category as the little pink .22 cricket that belongs to that 6 year old girl down the street.

pink cricket.jpg = garand.jpg

No license, no permit. Fed Ex will deliver your Garand directly to your front door.

You just need a copy of your birth certificate, fill out the forms and get them notarized (bank or UPS/ Copy Post store etc.) and mail them off.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Just to clarify:

Maryland does not restrict the Garand in any way. It's in the same legal category as the little pink .22 cricket that belongs to that 6 year old girl down the street.

View attachment 104264 = View attachment 104265

No license, no permit. Fed Ex will deliver your Garand directly to your front door.

You just need a copy of your birth certificate, fill out the forms and get them notarized (bank or UPS/ Copy Post store etc.) and mail them off.

Amazing right. A true blue military weapon of war, delivered right to your door, and it takes CLIPS!!!

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Delivered to your door if you have a C&R....or is there some special provision for CMP?

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Has anyone seen any inexpensive M1 Garands in a Maryland gun shop? I'm not looking for a super accurized rifle or anything, just an M1 Garand for my collection. Under $1000 would be great. Also, are they cash and carry?

They're out there if you look hard enough. Bought one at a hock shop for CMP prices, sold that, bought another here from ArmedSKS... sold that and got my ultimate one at an auction for a little more. Doubt I'll be looking to improve anymore

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge

Not sure of the branch of service for the OP but when I was in the Navy, I had an officer in my squadron notarize my CMP paperwork. I think, but am not sure, that any officer in the Navy above a certain pay grade is authorized to notarize documents.

Not like finding a notary is a huge ordeal but if it can be done without even leaving work, why not?

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Not sure of the branch of service for the OP but when I was in the Navy, I had an officer in my squadron notarize my CMP paperwork. I think, but am not sure, that any officer in the Navy above a certain pay grade is authorized to notarize documents.

Not like finding a notary is a huge ordeal but if it can be done without even leaving work, why not?

LCDR/Major can notarize.... or at least they could. not sure what I used, copy of ID card or 214..... I forgot but it worked.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    LCDR/Major can notarize.... or at least they could. not sure what I used, copy of ID card or 214..... I forgot but it worked.

I thought it was a LCDR but couldn't remember for sure. It was handy though, to get it all done at work.

I just emailed CMP about their 308 Garands to see if my info was still in the 3 year window.

It wasn't but they told me I could still send in the order form and send the notarized documents later on when I am back home. Love doing business with those folks!!!!!

I used a copy of my retired ID for proof of affiliation and a copy of my drivers license for proof of residency.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I thought it was a LCDR but couldn't remember for sure. It was handy though, to get it all done at work.

I just emailed CMP about their 308 Garands to see if my info was still in the 3 year window.

It wasn't but they told me I could still send in the order form and send the notarized documents later on when I am back home. Love doing business with those folks!!!!!

I used a copy of my retired ID for proof of affiliation and a copy of my drivers license for proof of residency.

You still need a C&R or better though.......... don't you to buy a weapon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom