• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC777

Mar 14, 2013
    I have a clean record and have nothing to hide, but that isn't the point. I even have fingerprints on file from several different times I've been printed (military service, no criminal record) so it technically wouldn't make any difference to do it again. The point for me is that I refuse to pay to exercise a right, which is especially stupid considering that I already have regulated guns, so what's the point? The legalese that you have to sign off on in order to get an HQL basically has you forfeit rights otherwise guaranteed by the US Bill of Rights. Sorry, I'm not going to submit myself willingly to what is quickly becoming a true police state

+1 :party29::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Who will fight the machine after we all leave?

The HQL is a piece of shit. But if the court does not kill it soon it will kill the gun culture in Md

New self defense gun owners must be minted. We must help them. And we must also lead by example.

The hql must be fought, but not at the cost of the entire battle.

If you applied for a ccw in Md all your info and more is at risk, and you have already yielded to lic a right.

Now whatever you decide is valid. But what would you tell a new person. Should they get an HQL? If yes what will you say if they ask if you will get one?

For me I must lead by example. I must get new gun owners into our ranks... this is the battle we must win.

The HQL is but a skirmish... I can lose that and still win,but if I let it dominate my response I will lose the battle.

I have seen it in NY. It takes 6 mo to get permission to buy a hunting rile or shot gun in NYC. The gun culture has died.. and that's why Blomberg exists.

We can not let that happen here. And it will if we allow them to kill of the gun culture...

Last edited:

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I had an interesting conversation with the MSP Handgun Qualification License Unit this morning. I originally called to find out if my MD DNR Hunters Safety course from the 1990's would exempt me from the training portion of the HQL app. He stated that it was good as long as it was issued by the DNR and I had the card and or number. Then I asked a question as to why they do not except existing federal finger printing and background investigation (FBI) for folks that already have all of this on file with the FED as part of a seccurity clearance. He gave me an example that if someone gets arrested or locked up only the FBI gets notification of the incident not the MSP.

By using the special number below that you need to submit to the agency doing the finger prints it seems that this will enable the automatic notification to the MSP.

Agency Authorization Number: 1300004845
    Agency ORI Number: MD920511Z
    Reason Fingerprinted: MD Public Safety Article, Section 5-117.1 pertaining to Handgun Qualification License.

Not that I plan on getting in trouble with the law but I'm not sure in the event that something might happen, I don't know if I would want them showing up at my front door.

Has anyone else heard of this??

Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD

The HQL is a piece of shit. But if the court does not kill it soon it will kill the gun culture in Md

For me I must lead by example. I must get new gun owners into our ranks... this is the battle we must win.

The HQL is but a skirmish... I can lose that and still win, but if I let it dominate my response I will lose the battle.

Brooklyn,

Thanks for voicing, better than I, and in far fewer words :D, what I believe to be ever so true. I am fighting not just for me, but for my kids, and my grand-daughter. Maryland is OUR heritage and I want My Maryland BACK!

Dogmeat

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Brooklyn,

Thanks for voicing, better than I, and in far fewer words :D, what I believe to be ever so true. I am fighting not just for me, but for my kids, and my grand-daughter. Maryland is OUR heritage and I want My Maryland BACK!

Dogmeat

We own it to our past to fight for our future.

This can be done.
    10k in lawyers mall. 20k would be better.

bullett67

Aug 17, 2013
    eastern shore md
    I have a question, I purchased a handgun last July, its my first regulated firearm and like others I'm waiting on my ND to come back. The dealer told me that since I bought it before 10/1 I shouldn't need the HQL, is this right?

I have a question, I purchased a handgun last July, its my first regulated firearm and like others I'm waiting on my ND to come back. The dealer told me that since I bought it before 10/1 I shouldn't need the HQL, is this right?

Have you looked at the MSP site?

Q: Will I be required to possess an HQL by October 1, 2013, if I submitted a 77R prior to October 1 and have not yet received approval to retrieve my firearm due to the MSP backlog?

A: The Maryland State Police will not enforce the requirements of the new law with respect to applicants whose applications are pending as of October 1. In light of the number of currently pending applications, resulting from the unprecedented spike in new applications in recent months, it is a fair, reasoned, and appropriate result for those who are waiting for their pending purchase applications to be processed. Persons who submit purchase applications on or after October 1, 2013, unless otherwise
    exempted by law, will be required to apply for and obtain a handgun qualification license before attempting to purchase a handgun.

bullett67

Aug 17, 2013
    eastern shore md
    Have you looked at the MSP site?

Q: Will I be required to possess an HQL by October 1, 2013, if I submitted a 77R prior to October 1 and have not yet received approval to retrieve my firearm due to the MSP backlog?

A: The Maryland State Police will not enforce the requirements of the new law with respect to applicants whose applications are pending as of October 1. In light of the number of currently pending applications, resulting from the unprecedented spike in new applications in recent months, it is a fair, reasoned, and appropriate result for those who are waiting for their pending purchase applications to be processed. Persons who submit purchase applications on or after October 1, 2013, unless otherwise
    exempted by law, will be required to apply for and obtain a handgun qualification license before attempting to purchase a handgun.

Thanks SRD! I can think of better ways to spend that money, like giving it to MSI or another organization trying to gain some of our rights back!

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I am generally also of the mindset to refuse to get a license to exercise a constitutionally protected right. I refuse to get the HQL. It is also a fiscally responsible move. I have spent more than I would have to beat the 10/1 deadline and have been affected by the furlough. I will be out of the market regarding firearms for a while.
    I will refrain from getting the HQL until the court decision is reasonably certain and we have fought the good fight in Annapolis resulting in no overturn of the HQL requirement. It will then be time to vote with my feet or succumb to this bit of tyranny to continue to do business in what is my right to do. In the near future, no matter what, I will stand with all of you and do what I am able to do in this fight to protect our right. I am up for flooding the system with applications. Hopefully this will be after the court decision and before election day.

DavidMS

Feb 23, 2013
    Fairfax VA
    I plan to get a HQL

Just not yet...

I have ARs to finish and some other projects in the pipeline before I think of buying another handgun. I hate to say it, but I would want one for regulatory reasons even if I don't plan to buy another handgun.

Objee

Oct 3, 2013
    Besides... Other than getting the HQL to pick up guns that were in limbo (withholding commentary)

I won't withhold commentary, as that was the situation for me.

• A September purchase that was to be released after 10/1.
    • AG letter says "HQL needed."
    • MSP letter says "HQL not required, we won't enforce the law."
    I was not going to take a chance that my future 2A rights would be taken away because of some petty dispute between Gansler and MSP.

Hence my 10/2 HQL application and subsequent approval/receipt of HQL.

Happy to say that my purchase was released after 10/1 using HQL to CMA.

Last edited:

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    At this point, I have no interest in getting a HQL. Screw them.

I walked in to a gun shop the other day where I bought at least 15 handguns this year and mused about the "good old days" when I could legally buy a handgun in Maryland. The shop owner and his employee said they have sold maybe 5 handguns since Oct. 1 and the owner is doubting the future of the store. As much as I will try and help them with ammo and long gun purchases, I'm not going to give in to the BS of the HQL.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I will not be submitting to the prickly proctoscope that is the HQL.

I have nothing to hide. I have no reason to be disapproved.

But, I have no interest in being a 'subject' any more than I already am through things I can't control.

Here, here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom