• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    The HQL application website is live. It looks like a fanpage my kids would make on a free provider somewhere. I started to apply and here are some things I noticed:

1. The SSN is required to create an account on the MSP website. It didn't take my last 4 and there was no statement about why it was needed and no Privacy Act statement.

2. There is a box for SSN on the HQL application but it says "Not Required" next to it.

3. For the training exemption, there is a page where you can enter details about a registered firearm you already own. If you want to use prior military service, you must scan a copy of your DD214 and upload it to the MSP. The same for a training certificate, Hunter Safety Card, etc.

So now, if you don't have access to a scanner, you cannot be exempt from the training requirement due to military service or prior training.

4. You must get fingerprinted before you finish the application. The fingerprinting info is required and it will reject the app without it. It looks like the Live Scan fee is $34.50. That makes the HQL $84.50 plus a scanner.

I'm interested to see if anyone else has tried to complete the HQL and what their thoughts are on it.

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    The HQL application website is live. It looks like a fanpage my kids would make on a free provider somewhere. I started to apply and here are some things I noticed:

1. The SSN is required to create an account on the MSP website. It didn't take my last 4 and there was no statement about why it was needed and no Privacy Act statement.

2. There is a box for SSN on the HQL application but it says "Not Required" next to it.

3. For the training exemption, there is a page where you can enter details about a registered firearm you already own. If you want to use prior military service, you must scan a copy of your DD214 and upload it to the MSP. The same for a training certificate, Hunter Safety Card, etc.

So now, if you don't have access to a scanner, you cannot be exempt from the training requirement due to military service or prior training.

4. You must get fingerprinted before you finish the application. The fingerprinting info is required and it will reject the app without it. It looks like the Live Scan fee is $34.50. That makes the HQL $84.50 plus a scanner.

I'm interested to see if anyone else has tried to complete the HQL and what their thoughts are on it.

34.50 is the fee that the state charges....That doesn't include the fee charged by the location that does the actual fingerprints.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Did mine at 12:01 last night. System crashed in just a couple of minutes of operation. Was down for several minutes. There were no problems applying as a carry permit holder. As stated above, the site looks like it was put together by a 6th grader.

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I just finished mine. Its evident that they have some poor UAT/QC people building their web site. The form errored over and over again partially due to some problems with their backend but also with bad validation on the height field. It would not let me enter 6-0 so I had to enter 5-12 to get it to submit.

I would also have put in email verification when registering and at least mailed out a receipt to the applicant. Pretty low rent. I would have loved to have the contract to build that for them.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    The state can suck on a phallus. Ill be damned if they get more money or info about me. Already fingerprinted multiple times for work and volunteer stuff. No thanks. I'm just gonna save my pennies for the move and buy my handguns in America. Owemalley, you suck.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    34.50 is the fee that the state charges....That doesn't include the fee charged by the location that does the actual fingerprints.

So you have to pay both sides (state and private business) for the prints? So the HQL fee is really 84.50?

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    So you have to pay both sides (state and private business) for the prints? So the HQL fee is really 84.50?

Yes. THe location that i do fingerprinting for provides the service to our county residents and we are about 10-20 dollars cheaper then any of the private companies. The total will be $45.00 for fingerprinting through us. The private places usually charge anywhere from $55-75 for the same thing but they don't have the limited hours that we do here.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    If you are Active or Retired Military or Law Enforcement
    or a Firearms Manufacturer, you do not need an HQL. (Click HERE for Details)

Clicked on link and it took me to

Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Qualified Handgun Instructors are responsible for qualifying students for Handgun Qualification Licenses and Handgun Carry Permits. Instructors whose courses fail to meet minimum standards and who improperly certify applicants shall have their Qualified Handgun Instructor status revoked.

Yup, site works real good

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Yes. THe location that i do fingerprinting for provides the service to our county residents and we are about 10-20 dollars cheaper then any of the private companies. The total will be $45.00 for fingerprinting through us. The private places usually charge anywhere from $55-75 for the same thing but they don't have the limited hours that we do here.

Someone mentioned an additional $34.50 to the state...

Am trying to understand what's up with that?

The fee for the HQL is $50, fingerprinting is ($45) by a private company.... There is an ADDITIONAL fee of $34.50 to pay to the state?

So the rack up, using your number is : 50+45+34.50=129.50????

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

The fee for the HQL is $50, fingerprinting is ($45) by a private company.... There is an ADDITIONAL fee of $34.50 to pay to the state?

Is the $34.50 for the background check(s)?

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust

Just look at it this way, its a fee, not a tax :D

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado

No, fingerprinting is $45 and $34.50 of that goes to the state. $50 + $45

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    I think it's for ink and cardstock supplies for the fingerprints.

There is no ink or cards for livescan fingerprinting. You provide an authorization number and ori number. After the prints are scanned in they are sent directly to CJIS. You recieve a printed receipt and that's all.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    There is no ink or cards for livescan fingerprinting. You provide an authorization number and ori number. After the prints are scanned in they are sent directly to CJIS. You recieve a printed receipt and that's all.

Really? When did that happen?

(BTW, I am joking. So, you really don't need to answer.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom