• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD
    Hi,

Like many of you, I have been making donations as I can afford them to various organizations in support of 2A issues. I have sent donations to the NRA-PVF and NRA-ILA for years and this year I also donated money to MDShooters (Thanks for this Excellent Site! :bowdown:) and also to MSI. Today I donated money to Take Back Maryland. There are other deserving organizations (GOA & SAF come to mind) but there are limited funds available.

While it would be nice to support them all, I sometimes wonder if we would be better off focusing our donations. Each organization has its pluses and minuses and I am interested in opinions regarding this.

Thanks,

Dogmeat

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , the various organizations have different focouses , and it is important to support more than one.

Of what you specifically listed SAF is particulary worthwhile due to their very active 2A litagation , including our own Wollard.

Right this moment the colation bringing multiple suits against MSP ( and likely more post Oct 1 ) needs imeadate support. MSI , AGC , MSRPA, MLFDA .

Later on in the primary election cycle the Md based 2A PACs and/or direct campaign contributions.

Allow yourself travel and other expenses involved in going in person to Annapolis both for Rallies , Hearings , and random drop in visits to your elected representives , and those on key Committees.

Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD
    I have been to Annapolis almost every year since about 2004, usually several times per year and I expect that to continue. I am also a member of MSRPA and on the AGC email list and their latest is what prompted my query.

Since I can't buy anymore Standard Capacity Magazines in MD after 1 Oct 2013 (I know I can buy them in PA,VA,etc) I figure to try an donate the equivalent value of one Magazine per month to somebody. Just trying to figure out who.

Thanks for your input, SAF was next on my list, but I am open to further suggestions.

Dogmeat

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    While I am a lifelong NRA member and donate to them, I have been somewhat disappointed in their support against SB281. If feel that MSI, SAF and AGC donations are more effective to help with our issues.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    SAF is the most important in my eyes. Our best bet at winning this and stopping all forward motion from gun grabbers is through the courts. About a month ago I because life member for SAF.

Then I throw whatever I have left to NRA and MSI. NRA is hit or miss for me though. I might look into other organizations soon. Annoys the crap out of my that NRA spams my house like crazy with donation letters.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    While I am a lifelong NRA member and donate to them, I have been somewhat disappointed in their support against SB281. If feel that MSI, SAF and AGC donations are more effective to help with our issues.

Please, please don't assume that NRA is out of the picture. Just because you don't see their name on lawsuits, doesn't mean they aren't actively helping. Trust me.

Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD
    Please, please don't assume that NRA is out of the picture. Just because you don't see their name on lawsuits, doesn't mean they aren't actively helping. Trust me.

+100!

There is a lot that the NRA does that goes unseen, and for good reason. All one needs to do is look at how they are vilified in the media. Working behind the scenes, the NRA can accomplish much more than when they are out in front leading the charge.

Dogmeat

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If funds are limited one of the greatest gifts you can give is your time. Organizations and political campaigns are run on manpower and womanpower. Volunteer of your time can be worth more than bucks.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Support the local politicians who support 2A, not just other organizations.
    Like Nancy Jacobs!

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    SAF site says "Support SAF - shop at Amazon" does anyone know how this works?

If you are going to buy something at Amazon.com, go through the SAF website and they will receive a portion of your purchase as a donation. I do not know what they get, but I have seen other sites do this before.

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    These are all good organizations.

But as we get closer to the elections, donations to candidates to unseat unfriendly reps in Annapolis will be money better spent. Those will probably be Rep candidates, but any friendly conservative of any party will do.

As we approach that time, we should as a group identify who is deserving of support. These will be new candidates, and not well known or publicized.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    We need to identify those who can defeat our enemies , not nesecarily those that we would like the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom