• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    I'm trying to figure out "Who" this Source is!? My friends are still at the class, as well as others. I've called around, and no one has heard of this YET!

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    It definitely sounds like a clustered-duck up at the MSP Headquarters. They seem to not understand SB281 either.

Honestly I don't think it has anything to do with MSP understanding the law.
    They are being told how to interpret it. I guarantee there was a closed door meeting with the politicians and the MSP brass and orders were given to tighten the screws as tight as possible on firearms, period. We saw that when the MSP bosses were lined up in Annapolis as window dressing for O'Malley and they really didn't know anything about the law yet they gave their opinion on it.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Brown doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

He told me the law bans select fire rifles.... not semi-autos.

I don't believe a thing that comes out of the MSP.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I'm trying to figure out "Who" this Source is!? My friends are still at the class, as well as others. I've called around, and no one has heard of this YET!

Yes not to be rude to the OP but I will wait for this to be confirmed before I start to worry... Everyone jumping on the wagon is kind of funny...

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So by that line of reasoning, are certain machine guns also considered a "copycat weapons"?
    Copycat weapons are expressly "semi-automatic" in the law's test. MGs are never copycat weapons. Arguably, they could be assault long guns in some instances, albeit that would go against all historical precedent.

Yes not to be rude to the OP but I will wait for this to be confirmed before I start to worry... Everyone jumping on the wagon is kind of funny...
    I think this illustrates the need for an AG opinion on the topic. This is the second time I've read someone stating this on here, and another couple times where people heard differently. Problem is, if there's uncertainty, the FFLs are going to lean towards caution, regardless of precise legality or not.

I will admit that the OP's assertion that all SBRs are banned as copycats is somewhat otherwordly, given that not all SBRs would fail the feature test or be < 29" OAL. I also question why they'd let a form 1 go through, but I'll take that as interpreting the law for maximum MSP convenience.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I think this illustrates the need for an AG opinion on the topic. This is the second time I've read someone stating this on here, and another couple times where people heard differently. Problem is, if there's uncertainty, the FFLs are going to lean towards caution, regardless of precise legality or not.

I will admit that the OP's assertion that all SBRs are banned as copycats is somewhat otherwordly, given that not all SBRs would fail the feature test or be < 29" OAL.

I don't think FFLs are following any of our talk. They heard what MSP said and will follow that. Its just that everyone here is all but looking for MSP to screw us on something and so we are primed to believe this kind of post without confirmation...

I agree, it does not add up... which does not mean MSP did not say it but I am not worried...

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013

It will be interesting to see if it turns our correct. The OP has 35 posts (including 4 today) and the last before today was 2007! Sure been around for a long time but out of touch for a very long time!

Everyone's jumping on the bandwagon because there's been a thread initiated nearly every day for about 6 months debating this topic. There's a lot at stake here... Someone has to be able to say "I TOLD YOU SO". :D

Seriously this has been a hot topic for too long and we shoulda had the answer long ago.

Here's what I think... They are having these "training" sessions as fishing expeditions. They know folks have been out here pouring over this new law and they have no clue what monstrosity they created. So they come out, get questions, figure out the most PITA way to deal with it based on the questions and then start spreading the manure.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I don't think FFLs are following any of our talk.
    They absolutely notice what we write here, especially when it comes to stuff they could potentially sell post-10/1. I've had more than one FFL follow up with me. Not going to name names.

They heard what MSP said and will follow that. Its just that everyone here is all but looking for MSP to screw us on something and so we are primed to believe this kind of post without confirmation...
    The OP said his coworker was at the training. What more confirmation do you need that different people are being told different things at these sessions? Don't let your desire for a particular outcome blind you to what's going on here. I want non-copycat-able SBRs as much as you do, and would be ecstatic if the AG ruled that way.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    ...What more confirmation do you need that different people are being told different things at these sessions? Don't let your desire for a particular outcome blind you to what's going on here. ...

...I could be wrong but if I was betting! AND I AM

The FFLs are going to listen to MSP. They might listen to a few gray area things but this is not gray area. MSP has spoken on it and that was confirmed by several people.

Last edited:

Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    Honestly I don't think it has anything to do with MSP understanding the law.
    They are being told how to interpret it. I guarantee there was a closed door meeting with the politicians and the MSP brass and orders were given to tighten the screws as tight as possible on firearms, period. We saw that when the MSP bosses were lined up in Annapolis as window dressing for O'Malley and they really didn't know anything about the law yet they gave their opinion on it.

Praying this is the case. I hate being rushed to buy things lol

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Per jvegas... Banned. He was at meeting.

So this is a second source at the meeting today that are saying BANNED?

I wonder what the MSP interpretation is on a Form-1 SBR through a NFA Trust submitted before October 1 without a CLEO sign-off?

I have several that I will be submitting before October 1.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom