• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Rockville tonight:

Days before Columbus Day 2020, the City of Rockville will give Cristóbal Colón the boot. Tonight, the Mayor and Council will officially proclaim October 12 as "Indigenous Peoples' Day," replacing the city's celebration of Columbus Day. According to the agenda item about the proclamation that will be read near the beginning of tonight's meeting, the change will "avoid celebrating Columbus and the European colonization of the Americas."

kool361

Apr 16, 2020
    Damascus
    He didn't even discover the Americas anyway so who cares if he goes. There is proof coming out regularly that the Vikings, possible Templars were here long before he was.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    He didn't even discover the Americas anyway so who cares if he goes. There is proof coming out regularly that the Vikings, possible Templars were here long before he was.

Well I care. Nothing came of those who may or may not have discovered America. Columbus changed the world with his discovery

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    If they want to decolonize so badly, they should volunteer to give their property to an indigenous family. Lead by example. Otherwise, continue living in the prosperity our forefathers provided for us by courage, blood, and sweat and shut up.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Also, if we're deciding to not honor Columbus because of the violence he committed, why would we honor indigenous people that also very much slaughtered men, women, and children on the regular?

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I remember in my earliest history classes learning and coming to understand the fallacies and dangers of Presentism. People today are becoming collectively so ignorant of not only history but geography, I have no doubt that we will continue to be doomed as a species to repeat all the most horrible mistakes of the past. We are rapidly devolving into hand-to-mouth babies incapable of any feats of self-determination beyond wailing loudly for the Government +i+ whenever our tummies begin to rumble.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

The word "discover" used to mean "uncover" in the sense of "reveal".

The Vikings did not reveal America to folks back home. They kept it as a secret source of timber. Likewise the Basques kept it secret as a fishing ground. Vikings, Basques, Welshmen... none of their voyages CHANGED a damn thing.

But Columbus did reveal America to the European world, and it was one of the most significant turning points in human history.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Eh, eh ehhhh, don't peel that banana back too far, now.

Fun thing about taking a bunch of native american history classes... knowing that it wasn't all hand-holding and rainbows here before europeans arrived. One awesome book is "aztec" by gary jennings. He did a f-ton of research to paint an amazing mental picture of ancient central/south american life before and during european conquest. Learning about the plains natives like the comanche and apache makes you suddenly realize why we name attack helicopters after them.

People now are looking back on history with the luxury of the modern age and unfairly critiquing life back then without any consideration to how friggin hard and bloody it was on all sides. They're also choosing to only identify and look down on acts by europeans when the entire world was brutal.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Fun thing about taking a bunch of native american history classes... knowing that it wasn't all hand-holding and rainbows here before europeans arrived. One awesome book is "aztec" by gary jennings. He did a f-ton of research to paint an amazing mental picture of ancient central/south american life before and during european conquest. Learning about the plains natives like the comanche and apache makes you suddenly realize why we name attack helicopters after them.

People now are looking back on history with the luxury of the modern age and unfairly critiquing life back then without any consideration to how friggin hard and bloody it was on all sides. They're also choosing to only identify and look down on acts by europeans when the entire world was brutal.

It's easy and lazy to judge any period in history by current day standards. However, it is not possible to do with any accuracy.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I find great irony in an American political entity, geographically in the America's, disavowing the guy who did much in getting Europe interested in America?

These politicians should de-discover America and go back to Europe (or wherever their ancestors were from). That is the only true SJW way.

WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    I find great irony in an American political entity, geographically in the America's, disavowing the guy who did much in getting Europe interested in America?

These politicians should de-discover America and go back to Europe (or wherever their ancestors were from). That is the only true SJW way.

Since all human lifeforms benefit from the oppression of formerly indigenous societies, the only true SJW way is to self-terminate and give the carbon back to Gaia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom