• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    I'm looking at this radio on Amazon.
    The plan is to use around the farm and work( marine traffic) and some PP events.
    Any thoughts on the unit vs a unit costing less?
    I know there have been some sales of these and allot cheaper prices.
    I would like to spend less of course but I need these functions!

Now this some possible units not being able to be imported I would like to buy reasonably soon.

BaoFeng BF-F8HP

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MAULSOK/ref=ox_sc_act_image_6?smid=AA3MGRC7F9EI2&psc=1

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    I'm looking at this radio on Amazon.
    The plan is to use around the farm and work( marine traffic) and some PP events.
    Any thoughts on the unit vs a unit costing less?
    I know there have been some sales of these and allot cheaper prices.
    I would like to spend less of course but I need these functions!

Now this some possible units not being able to be imported I would like to buy reasonably soon.

BaoFeng BF-F8HP

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MAULSOK/ref=ox_sc_act_image_6?smid=AA3MGRC7F9EI2&psc=1

Other than in the Amateur Radio Service, which requires an FCC license, I don't think this radio is legal to use in the US. There are other unlicensed radio services, but the maximum power allowed is 2 watts only. Someone else here may be better informed.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Other than in the Amateur Radio Service, which requires an FCC license, I don't think this radio is legal to use in the US. There are other unlicensed radio services, but the maximum power allowed is 2 watts only. Someone else here may be better informed.
    The FCC recently put an announcement out about these Chinese radios. They have not been certified by the FCC. They are not legal for use on FRS or GMRS. Whether they are legal on amateur bands with a license is probably uncertain. There are a lot out there for sure. The announcement stated they are not legal for sale in US. Don't know where this is all headed. Just an FYI. I know a lot of hams started with these radios.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    The FCC recently put an announcement out about these Chinese radios. They have not been certified by the FCC. They are not legal for use on FRS or GMRS. Whether they are legal on amateur bands with a license is probably uncertain. There are a lot out there for sure. The announcement stated they are not legal for sale in US. Don't know where this is all headed. Just an FYI. I know a lot of hams started with these radios.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Keeping up with the legalities of these radios is almost as confusing as gun laws.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Keeping up with the legalities of these radios is almost as confusing as gun laws.

Funny you mention that. Look up thread for my post about Hoshnasi, his YouTube videos on baofeng radios are good.

"I lost all my baofengs in a boating accident."

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N

My plan was to get a license!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    My plan was to get a license!

Assuming you mean an Amateur Radio license, you my not legally transmit using the radio on the marine frequencies (if that is what you meant by marine), even if you have an Amateur license. You may only use it on Amateur frequencies and in accordance with all other rules pertaining to that. These include using it only to communicate with other licensed Amateurs and not using it for business.

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    Assuming you mean an Amateur Radio license, you my not legally transmit using the radio on the marine frequencies (if that is what you meant by marine), even if you have an Amateur license. You may only use it on Amateur frequencies and in accordance with all other rules pertaining to that. These include using it only to communicate with other licensed Amateurs and not using it for business.

Thanks

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    The FCC put out a letter saying that since they have the capability to transmit on freqs outside amateur bands, they are technically illegal to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Hence the "I lost all my Baofengs in a boating accident".

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    It's not just Baofengs and I think the real issue that the FCC trying to address was the marketing of radios for use in other services, that did not have type acceptance for those services and/or did not meet other specifications for those services. This is still going on from what I've seen. Or at least the sellers of the radios don't tell you their intended use or much of anything else. Type acceptance has never been required for equipment used for Amateur radio since Amateur radio licence holders can legally build and operate their own radios within the limits of the service, such as frequency, power, methods of transmitting. Here is the ARRL position:

http://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-fcc-discussing-issue-of-uncertified-imported-vhf-uhf-transceivers

The FCC's position seems to be, if it was imported illegally, you can't use it period. And beyond that they are saying that if the radio is capable of operating outside of the Amateur bands it must have type acceptance for those bands, period or it can't be used.

I see some Baofengs sold now with Part 15 type acceptance which is basically what household equipment that may emit RF such as computers have. So I assume this is how they import a radio legally for Amateur use if the radio is otherwise incapable of operating outside of the Amateur frequencies.

Intarsiac

Jun 17, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    SantaFest - Saturday, 8 December 2018

Santafest (Ham Radio Flea Market) is Saturday, 8 December 2018 in Cheltenham, MD. Flyer attached.

Attachments

• SantaFestFlyer2018V2(2).pdf
      311.9 KB · Views: 155

Glock4arms

May 8, 2015
    I enjoy listening to the Police Scanner on my phone via the 5-0 app, however over the past several months both the Baltimore County Police as well as the Baltimore City Police channels are no longer available. Does anyone know another way to get the Baltimore police scanner feed via my phone or internet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom