• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zsg729

Mar 7, 2007
    I bought a Sig this month (March 07) that came from the factory with a blue cable lock. The dealer said that these cable locks are not MD compliant and charged me an extra $20 for a MD compliant lock.

I bought a Sig from a diffrent dealer last fall (Sept. 06) that came with the same blue cable lock and was not charged for any additional locks.

Can someone tell me if the law has changed or which dealer is correct?

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    MD compliant locks (in other words, the one the dealer "has" to sell you even if you already own one) are the type with the rod you insert in the muzzle end (WTF) and screw into the locking piece that looks like a bullet that you enter into the chamber.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    So is everybody enjoying MD's gun laws as much as I am?

I have a CZ40 that I NEVER shoot, but the only reason I'm keeping it is because it was manufactured pre-integral lock law.

Old Gaffer

Jun 26, 2006
    <snip>The dealer said that these cable locks are not MD compliant and charged me an extra $20 for a MD compliant lock.<snip>

You got a bargain! Bass Pro charged me $30 for the lock for the Browning Buckmark I just bought.

The way MD is going, I'm seriously thinking about voting with my feet and getting the heck out of here.

I've had about enough of this cr*p :mad54:

Cheers,
    Rob

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Luckily the two Glocks that I purchased in MD had the aftermarket locks which take about 5 minutes to remove. In fact, the dealer forgot to install the lock on my Glock 23 so he saved me the work.

zsg729

Mar 7, 2007
    Thanks for the information. So, I guess I'm being taken advantage of by the state and not the dealer.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    **UPDATE** I no longer have the Ghost Blocks. I gave them away.

If anyone is planning to buy a Glock and does not want an internal lock, PM me with your address and I'll send you an MD compliant Ghost Block. You can ask your dealer to order your weapon without the factory installed lock, and provide them with the Ghost Block. Providing your own should save you $20-$40. They will install it, but it is easily removed. I have two of them - one that is unopened because the dealer forgot to install it, and the other was removed from my Glock 19. Either will work with any model Glock. I won't charge for them because I want them out of my house. I consider them an abomination.

By the way, does anyone know if it is illegal to remove the internal lock once you take possession of the weapon? I hope I'm not condoning anything that is going to draw black helicopters to my house (of course the tinfoil hat will prevent them from actually locating me)... :ninja:

Attachments

• ghostblock.jpg
      ghostblock.jpg
      10.4 KB · Views: 1,089
    Last edited:

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

By the way, does anyone know if it is illegal to remove the internal lock once you take possession of the weapon? I hope I'm not condoning anything that is going to draw black helicopters to my house (of course the tinfoil hat will prevent them from actually locating me)... :ninja:

I am almost positive it only applies to the sale of the handguns, so it only matters if you want to re-sell it in MD.

Since MD allows the making of handguns for personal use, I can't see why you can't alter a handgun anyway you want to either (as long as it is not a MD banned "assault pistol" or an NFA firearm after you get done and as long as the serial number is not removed.)

wah001

Jan 2, 2007
    Greensboro
    I was given a free cable lock by the police when I did the handgun safety course. I take it that means it’s about as useless as the class?:D

zrxc77

Feb 26, 2007
    Thanks for the information. So, I guess I'm being taken advantage of by the state and not the dealer.

Actually, you are being taken advantage of by both the state and the dealer. The state is taking advantage of you by foisting this inane law on you in the first place. The dealer is taking advantage of you by charging you $20, $25, $30 or more for a lock that retails for only $17 and assuredly costs the dealer much less at wholesale. He can charge so much because he knows you have to purchase it from him by law.

It is just another completely ineffective and pointless law that does nothing but make it harder and more expensive for law-abiding citizens of Maryland to exercise their rights. :mad54:

Oh well, at least we have the Omega lock now. If we didn't have it, then a vast array of modern handguns would be completely off limits to us.

KillerTux

Sep 28, 2007
    Odenton
    You don't need to keep the internal lock once you buy it . If you want to sell it within Maryland, you don't need it either. The lock stuff only applies to dealers not to the transferee.

Conundrum

Oct 19, 2007
    WV
    I was told that the gun must be sold with the internal lock. Once you get it home, it's your's to do what you want with the lock. The VisuaLock runs $30, but I try to stock as much as I can on the Omega Lock since it retails for about $20. Bad thing is that it's harder to get a hold of. :(

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    For those that don't already know, if you don't want to play gunsmith when you get the firearm home, get an Omega lock. They are now approved in MD, and they require no modification to the firearm. It has two pieces - one goes in the chamber like a round, and the other is a rod that goes down the barrel and attaches to the "round". When I bought my M&P45 the dealer gave me the lock for free, and it never left the packaging. Much easier than having to play gunsmith with an actual built-in lock. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 1021028.jpg
      1021028.jpg
      20.3 KB · Views: 542

BIGBRAD

Mar 9, 2007
    EASTERN SHORE OF MARYLAND
    all handguns made after jan 1 2002 must have internal locks for all transfers . if you sell it- it Must have the internal lock or the dealer will charge for a new one. It sucks for us dealers in MD also .We must know when every handgun was made .thats alot of fun .
    MD sucks I know !!!
    I do agree with Marylands one a month handgun law, everyone needs to buy one every month!!
    BigBrad-FFL in MD

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    all handguns made after jan 1 2002 must have internal locks for all transfers . if you sell it- it Must have the internal lock or the dealer will charge for a new one. ...
    I don't think this is true, the law only applies to dealers selling the guns, not to people selling to the dealers or non-dealers selling to other people through the MSP.
    (c) (1) A dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State a handgun manufactured on or before December 31, 2002, unless the handgun is sold, offered for sale, rented, or transferred with an external safety lock.

(2) On or after January 1, 2003, a dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State a handgun manufactured on or after January 1, 2003, unless the handgun has an integrated mechanical safety device.
    http://law.justia.com/maryland/codes/gps/5-132.html

BIGBRAD

Mar 9, 2007
    EASTERN SHORE OF MARYLAND
    yes typo- should be jan 1 ,2003.
    MSP told me that all transfers of handguns made after jan 1 2003 had to have the internal lock.
    That was the firearms division of MSP in reisterstown MD.
    later
    Bigbrad

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom