• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    I am looking for a cheap 12 or 20 gauge shotgun for home protection. I have no problem with it being used but I am on a very limited budget I am looking for something preferabley around $100 or so.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Big Brad had a Remington 870 for $185 or so.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I am looking for a cheap 12 or 20 gauge shotgun for home protection. I have no problem with it being used but I am on a very limited budget I am looking for something preferabley around $100 or so.
    There are single shot shotguns new for that or less.
    There are Chinese pump action shotguns for more, but not much more. At SOG I think after shipping and transfer you can get a new pump action for about $150 sometimes.
    There are scratch and dent sale shotguns with places like CDNN or Century where you can get a cheap Chinese pump action (lead shot only) for less than $100 (Just over with shipping and transfer), but the only thing it would be good for is home defense IMO.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    NEF Pardner Protector is the way to go... Go to Dick's and check one out... It's basically the same action as an 870...just about 60-70% of the cost

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    i'd take bigbrad's offer, that is pretty cool sounding. i have a mossberg 500 with 18" barrel takes five rounds. works for me. bought it for 210 cash brand new. you can get some decent firepower for a good price.

Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks for the info all I have decided to hold off on the shotgun . I am instead getting a Marlin 336 in 30-30 with sling and ammo for $150 I plan on hunting next year so I figer since it is a good deal I shound not pass it up

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    You can only hunt deer with rifle in about half the counties in MD. I have never seen anything that says you cannot hunt other game with a rifle in every county.

Yup and thuddy thuddy is a fantastic waterfowl and squirrel round ;)

Maybe he'll be hunting bear...but if he's hunting bear, he's probably already in a county that allows rifle for deer :D

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Yup and thuddy thuddy is a fantastic waterfowl and squirrel round ;)

Maybe he'll be hunting bear...but if he's hunting bear, he's probably already in a county that allows rifle for deer :D
    Hunting for migratory game birds (coot, dove, rails, snipe, waterfowl, and woodcock) is regulated by the federal government under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Each year, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) establishes hunting season guidelines for migratory game birds after reviewing data on population trends and reproductive success.
    Nontoxic Shot and Unlawful Shot Non-toxic shot is required for hunting waterfowl, coots, rails, and snipe. Hunters may not use or possess nontoxic shot larger than size number T (0.20 inches in diameter). Hunters may not use or possess shotshells loaded with a material other than steel, bismuth, tungsteniron, tungsten-polymer, tungsten-matrix, or other shot determined by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to be non-toxic
    page 22

Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    Check your county's regs... Can only hunt rifle in a few counties
    I live in Anne Aroundel Co. but will be hunting on the eastern shore with a friend on mine who is also the one who found the deal for me he was hunting last week with a 35 Rem Marlin 336 wich he borrowed (He own a 30-30 version) he got himself a doe on his second day hunting:thumbsup:

Cadet08

Gone
    Nov 13, 2006
    Thanks for the info all I have decided to hold off on the shotgun . I am instead getting a Marlin 336 in 30-30 with sling and ammo for $150 I plan on hunting next year so I figer since it is a good deal I shound not pass it up

I just traded my AR for a 336 an Underwood M1 Carbine and $200. Minus the bubba applied spray paint cammo job it is a great gun. I love it.

Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    the deal on the 336 went south on me so I picked up a Mossber 500 12 gauge with a 28" modified choke barrel and a 18 1/2" cylinder bore barrel for $210 + tax (Used Gun and new 18 1/2 " Barrel) I got them at A&D pawn on grain Hwy in Glen Burnie they even gave me a free box of Fiocchi LE 00 buck in the deal . I think I did good I am also wondering about getting a SpecOps Adjustable Shotgun Stock has anyone used them and what do you think

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom